Obvious mistakes left-in

>studio album
>wrong note played on instrument
>vocal mistake - gurgling, off-key, etc.
>leave them in because "it adds to the rawness of the sound"

Why do they do this?

Don't they realize a studio album will be played over and over again if it's actually successful?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R15gv949KyU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Have you ever tried to record music? If you have, you should at least be able to understand where this mentality comes from.

>t. guitarist who started 5 months ago

They're not recording on acetate tapes, grandpa.

They do it because it sounds more 'organic' that way. That answer is basically a meme at this point, but it's still the true mentality.

Okay, so the answer is no.

I'm not , but seriously, have you ever tried to record music ? I mean with like Reaper, Ableton or a Zoom ?

Perfection can be sterile and lifeless. Play it too clean and you end up with the rock equivalent of a manufactured EDM track.

Yes, I have some experience with Ableton.

I'm not dismissing it by any means. Yeah it can be hard to record perfectly. Honestly I agree with

And you still don't get why someone wouldn't want to rerecording something for the 26th time because they added a little too much delay on the kick drum at the end of their song in order to please a professional neckbeard whining on a Peruvian cartoon enthusiast imageboard ?

It gives me a feel when I hear such cases

because they think it sounds better and/or more organic

Because after 30 takes, you just give into your human mistakes.

Voice breaks can sound cool though

because sometimes it sounds cool e.g. the quadruple hit near the end of let me roll it, or the phone ringing at the end of life on mars. nowadays it's almost always an intentional affectation to make the contemporary record more like the classic rock records that the recording artists grew up obsessing over.

not OP but yeah fuck doing a million takes just for minute differences that ultimately make no difference

I leave in mistakes sometimes because they can help make something more intense; ie riff intro that's really fast lags behind or has as lightly sped up trem pick for the first few notes then falls in place, it hits harder than everything just falling in neatly

While I do appreciate the sentiment behind making an album squeaky clean and have all the performances be absolutely perfect, I also appreciate when an album is more rough and has personality behind it's performances. I like being able to hear the humanity of the performer, mistakes, imperfections. I don't know why, I just do. Little problems in the recording add to the personality of the thing and make it unique. If you're the analytical type and you think it should all be perfect, so be it. But I think you're missing out on the fun of listening to albums that have their own sound.

My Ozu bro

>15:36

because that's what the band actually sounds like- if a band is sloppy and fucks up occasionally, to leave that in is an accurate representation of their sound.

That wasn't even a mistake though, people on here are just autistic.

Because keeping it raw prevents it from being too polished. Hearing The Replacements leave in fucked up lyrics or coughing sounds, bad notes on a guitar is what I want from The Replacements. If they had extremely pristine albums, those songs would not sound nearly as good or represent them as a band properly.

It's more human. It's why physical paintings are more impressive than digital ones.

Also, you're a faggot. Go listen to mainstream pop that has been run through 80 producers and several layers of autotune and copy+pasting.

Some of the best music ever is recorded in one take, obvious example is The Velvet Underground's Sister Ray

There is no such thing as perfection and often times the closest thing to perfection is actually quite dull.

this

Dream Theater doesn't have many mistakes mechanically but it's too clean and clinical

people used to 'punch in' corrections all the time
tape has nothing to do with anything

youtube.com/watch?v=R15gv949KyU

On this song, the bass player plays the wrong note on the very last note at the end. Not only did they keep it in, but he then decided to play the wrong note whenever he plays it live, and has ever since.