How do I into music theory?

How do I into music theory?

read a book you dilettante

c

Like, I wanna learn the basics.

cc

Which book you useless lazy bore.

There are so many free resources available to you. If you really wanted to learn you'd already be doing it instead of still shitposting on Sup Forums

music theory for dummies idk fuck you i'll murder your whole family bitch lol jk you know i'm just messing with you senpai no hard feelings hmu on insta

actually though just go on musictheory.net or teoria.com

>so many

That's were the problem lies, wise one.

I began watching Yale music theory courses on youtube but they were so incredibly boring I decided to make this thread.

Not gonna make it

sorry to break it to you, but music theory really is a boring slog, at least at first. it takes effort, and you probably won't have a lot of fun, just like trying to learn a language or maths.

How do you expect anything else to be less boring then? Sounds like you don't wanna put in any work.

I think it's pretty fun, at least if you learn while using an instrument as a piano or a guitar or something as an aid. It's like lifting a veil, finally understanding things that you never knew about before

Just the way the information was presented. It can be done much better, I'm sure.

Oh my god, thank you so much Ive been looking for something like this for a while

I agree, piano specifically. I've said this before, but the way piano looks helps a lot with basic theoretical understanding. I mean, it's literally big black and white keys.

>lifting a veil
So much. Take time to experiment between learning sessions, you'll find yourself creatively liberated.

Not with his lectures, they don't actually teach anything worthwhile.

t. composition student.

Also go to the /comp/ threads on here, they have a shitload of useful info.

You sound like my mom.

The biggest problem with the internet is precisely the shitload of useful info.

>>/comp/

How long do you reckon it will take me to plow through the whole thing?

It's only a problem if you're not good at discerning which sources are worthwhile and which are not.

Maybe she's right

No resource is going to magically make you understand theory suddenly. It's going to take some work and commitment on your part. Similar to learning a new language.

By "the whole thing" do you mean all music theory knowledge of the western canon encompassing modern and contemporary techniques?

If so, probably about 4 years if you have no previous knowledge.

Should be obvious a good resource will make it much easier and faster.

No serious ambition to compose or perform, just a listener.

No, it will only make it slightly easier and probably no faster at all.

Just go google "musical intervals" and dick around with those at the piano until they make sense then google "major and minor chords" and start learning all of them in root position and all their inversions. That's probably at least a few days worth of work that you could have gotten started on in the last hour instead of wasting it shitposting on Sup Forums like you always do