Music Theory Self-Teaching

What's the best way to self-teach myself music theory (and also possibly the piano)?

Play the piano (or whatever cheap keyboard you can find).

hmm try climbing up that pyramid if u have the upper body strength

For theory, a book called elementary rudiments of music

Google any concept you don't understand. Practice that concept every way you can think of until it becomes second nature.

Try musictheory.net

I know all of that stuff in the pic, where do i go know?

Roman numeral analysis
Counterpoint
Upper chord extensions
quartal harmony
jazz harmony (substitutions, altered chords and scales, reharmonization)

and modal interchange

Never seen this pyramid before, but I know everything except for cadences and diatonic chord sequence structure

This, it's by Barbara Wharrem. Great exercise book.

Learn an instrument, write music on it for like five years, and then learn the names for everything.

thanks, ill check those out, and the modal interchange sounds good because my pieces they modulate all of the time but i dont think im doign it "right" i just do what seems natural and sometimes its very very pretty.

And on counterpoint ive done that too but is there a certain relationship between the intervals for getting the two melodies to interact with each other?

THIS THIS THIS
I did this, and it gave me that personal connection to music, now when I look up theory stuff, i do it out of passion, trying to find that next cool trick or sound, its all love

Yes, true counterpoint has a lot of rules and is really its own branch of theory that you can spend years studying and practicing

This is one of the most retarded and arbitrary pictures I've ever seen. Almost as bad as the 'music theory cheat sheet'. Learn minor chords before minor scales? Why?

so u know what they sound like
plus having heard them in songs before would make it click faster, at least that was the case 4 me

Minor scale formula(s) should be learned at the same time as major scale. Also modes should be learned at this point too (here its last). If you're using natural minor, you're using modes.

If you're using the major scale you're also using "modes". You're always using one mode or another (in the context of western theory), although usually modes also encompass things such as the whole tone scale, which are more exotic and can't really be used to build chords.

I also think you should learn the modes you can actually use in the music you make, and the ones you like. It's nice to know how it works but the ones you should really know should be the ones you like the sound of, so maybe starting with the locrian isn't the best idea for most people.

Modes can be confusing initially and should be saved for later, relative to major and minor scales it's definitely more advanced. I know I was confused at them, I didn't understand why modes were considered different from major and minor scales even though they had the same notes.

This is the best way to do it.
5 years of gradually better fucking around, then get a book.

bump

Musimathics Volume 1