/prod/ - music production

No one else is posting and i'll be up to give advice to anybody tell me to stop drinking so much aye aye

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on

clyp.it/

or any other similar website. GIVE and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M&list=RDatvtBE6t48M#t=1764

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN
>REMEMBER THAT IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH DAW YOU USE

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/n2umwzwt
clyp.it/tjdq03np
clyp.it/td0ejgsr
youtube.com/watch?v=zq54msMu3Sc
ebay.com/itm/Access-Virus-Snow-TI-Desktop-Synthesizer-MINT-/282126849930?hash=item41b012178a:g:MkEAAOSwnNBXYayA
clyp.it/dqnihikl
vocaroo.com/i/s0pc3mAHjcc9
clyp.it/nkrlweki
clyp.it/tamcio4y
vocaroo.com/i/s1EMuTR7R72G
youtube.com/watch?v=ew5JSzBWBWE
soundcloud.com/minddetective/house-tune-nr-30618643
vocaroo.com/i/s18kHODvnXs0
dropbox.com/s/cymu3vmiwsvzbnm/po12_catabyss.zip
mega.nz/#!rxZkHJ5Q!XRCB1CzJuIGNaeQCR7KhrdK-nm2Riii1FKnbGuyI0pg
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q
clyp.it/krpvce3r
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

okay

clyp.it/n2umwzwt

This track's like 90% finished. I'm happy with the overall sound, just need some help/feedback with the composition, in particular the transitions from one part on another.

I really wanna start putting stuff on SC and getting my music out there.

Thanks in advance :)

clyp.it/tjdq03np

Track I've been working on, any suggestions?

this isnt my style but shit bro nice job it sounds great. fuck man id give you composition feedback but i suck balls at it,

heres my WIP at the moment
clyp.it/td0ejgsr

honestly there aren't any jarring transitions so idk what to tell you about that.

kicks a bit loud, i'd add a little attack too

sounds very nice, i just wish there was somebody rapping over it or something- i need something to grab onto...

too much distortion, too much low end, reverbs too wet, might want to highpass it pretty aggressively... and think about putting a hp elsewhere too.

cool idea, what sticks out mostly is the mixing though

0/10 title

i was nodding my head to this, it's dope

i think that distorted synth that comes in at 50 could be more bottom heavy. also that autopan could be automated to slow and alternate timing to make it less predictable

So is the KORG VOLCA series any good?

Like synths that I can use and have a good time with? Or basically just a little toy for an hour or two.

>fapped to saggy balls and anime cowgirls earlier tonight
>listening north korean army shit atm, downloading WoW and watching bionicle
>no ideas over what beats to produce
what the fuck im doing with my life. is this insanity

>>fapped to saggy balls and anime cowgirls earlier tonight
not that weird honestly
>north korean army shit
what??? link???

here u go
youtube.com/watch?v=zq54msMu3Sc

ps. where you can get samples for instrumental hip hop, thought for a moment that it´d be dope to try that shit out

what the fuck

/r/drumkits

freesound.org - i've only really found weird ass sounds to throw in there

Thanks for the suggestions about mixing my friend.

these are the only plugins that are showing up in my ableton live vst search thingie even though i have loads more, stuff like uhe diva, reaktor, tal dub dont show up on ableton even though i scanned it like 100 times, they do show up just fine on fl studio, help me out /prod/

>access virus ti snow
>849.00
what do you guys think about that price?
ebay.com/itm/Access-Virus-Snow-TI-Desktop-Synthesizer-MINT-/282126849930?hash=item41b012178a:g:MkEAAOSwnNBXYayA

Try reading the fucking manual, if for some reason you can't read then try phoning technical support as that's what they are there for.
My guess would be that you are being a fucking retard

clyp.it/dqnihikl
the bassline being done by the bass drum isn't too cheap is it?
song is sorta about the dumb girl i work with who is one of those type thinks she's hiding so much "evil" but like the most it amounts to is saying she wants to get violent with people

bumping
wew lad

Any tips for producing good glitch music?

What version is your ableton (x86 or x64)? Your plugins have to be the same version to be detected (workarounds can be found on the internet)

dude thank you so much

FL Studio 1:0 Ableton

How does this sound, man? Kinda the main single off this new demo my group just did: vocaroo.com/i/s0pc3mAHjcc9
>pic somewhat related

> Phoning technical support for help with pirated software

im planning to stop using the synths i used to use so i can start a fresh new project, anyone have any reaktor ens that you frequently use?

sup /prod/

>vocaroo
>generic rock
>too long
>too repetive

Still using my bass and sample, have had them both for about a year now
The bass is fairly standard, has 3 oscillators, 2 waveforms for each (saw & square) has LFO, envelope etc. Great little synth really I think. I've learnt a lot using mine.

They are very limited which will make you try ideas you would not otherwise, which is cool and they are cheap as fuck.

Plus, the keys version is fully analog and you can control it via MIDI so you can get dat dere analog sound.

clyp.it/nkrlweki

First track I finished since moving from hardware to Ableton, the genre is synthwave.

Tell me what you think.

So this is a section of a track I'm working on and I want some feedback on it. I like the sound of it but I can't help but think that something is missing or out of place. I need a fresh pair of ears to critique it.

(Warning - pretty loud)
clyp.it/tamcio4y

If you think a song that is barely 4 minutes long is too long, that kinda says something about your attention span. I mean, I can kinda understand the rest, though, but that is what sells. What about this one? vocaroo.com/i/s1EMuTR7R72G

Awesome melody and choice of sounds, but I can't help but notice a lot of conflicting frequencies. Are you using any sidechain compression?
Also I'd lessen the reverb on the drums for this reason too, it just sounds like every sound is battling to be the loudest.
(Then again I don't listen to synthwave so I have no idea if that is how it's supposed to sound like).

No, it says something about the interest value of your piece. The song length should be something you decide on with good reasoning. If you need 4 minutes to incorporate a lot of movement and variation you need, that is perfectly fine.

If you need 4 minutes to keep repeating the same thing, you got problems, son.

shit

is meant for

What do you currently use?

That;s like saying one of Biggie's most popular songs, "Juicy", which is 4:10, is bad because it is just four minutes of lyrics over a loop. It's about the feel and the message of the song.

>asks for feedback
>doesn't know what too long means
>gets salty

I mean hell, almost everything memorable in the past 60 years or so has been repetitive as fuck.
Hendrix, Cash, Tupac, Nirvana, RHCP, ffucking Buddy Holly, you name it

Thanks mate, you are definitely right, I am really new to EQ and mixing so it feels like taming a beast.

Why are you trying to mock me? I agreed with some elements of your input, but you aren't even answering my question. Your resorting to personal shots

Are the drums meant to be all distorted?

Vocals are pretty dry sounding (could use some reverb) and are hard to hear at times. Vocals could use compression to even out the level, as well as volume automation to bring the quiet parts up and the loud parts down in level.

youtube.com/watch?v=ew5JSzBWBWE

This video is for pro tools but the basic idea is what's important

>Why are you trying to mock me?

thanks for sharing that background... it doesn't sound cheap but i'd try to add a lowpassed square bass line or something. i was intrigued by your song though user.

i wish i was like her.... just gotta mentally block out the shit i've done at this point.

i mean you just gotta experiment and mess with parameters intentionally to where you don't know what's going to happen.

i'm on ableton... beat repeats and grain delay are fine already- i'm really itching to get max 4 live though..

are you having problems with anything in particular?

lazerbass sounds great of course...
i'm just getting into spark- it always sounds great...

i'm not into this kind of music really- i'd say try to get more separation in your sound though. like you've got some cool stuff going on but it's kind of hard to pick the sounds apart, especially your bass synths.

you're missing hella lows bud. give that synth some another osc down there or add another... also that snare sucks ass honestly. cool otherwise though.
bout to pass out and wake up to anxiety no doubt. good night friends, i hope to hear some cool music tomorrow.

>i'm not into this kind of music really- i'd say try to get more separation in your sound though. like you've got some cool stuff going on but it's kind of hard to pick the sounds apart, especially your bass synths.

Do you have any specific tips to achieve this better?

Thinking about adding some vocals to this but I'm having a hard time finding some.

Is it too late? Since I heard the usual process is too build your track around a sample.

soundcloud.com/minddetective/house-tune-nr-30618643

Here's a sample for you mate:

vocaroo.com/i/s18kHODvnXs0

Nah it's easy to throw vocal samples onto a mostly finished beat. You make have to chop it up to get something nice. Will be easier for a house track as well. I really like the first half of that song man. Should add a sexy bassline in there.

What does blind recording techniques means? I can't find any information about it on the internet.

Close your eyes

Well closing your eyes means nothing if you're not playing for the first time.

I recorded some samples from my PO-12 if anyone wants them? Hits only, no loops, a few per sound. 16 bit because LGPT.

>awesome melody

Is this what you call melody nowadays, kids?

i'd love em senpai

here ya go family
dropbox.com/s/cymu3vmiwsvzbnm/po12_catabyss.zip

thank you, going to put them to good use

Anyone know any good drum sample packs for fl?

Preferably something 80s sounding

just grab some drum machine sample packs

cute

i try

mega.nz/#!rxZkHJ5Q!XRCB1CzJuIGNaeQCR7KhrdK-nm2Riii1FKnbGuyI0pg

kek thanks for the laugh matey

Yo what happened to the pastebin link
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

Sometimes I don't know why am I even improving since I have no idea what I'm doing. Anyway, here's something that could possibly be bad this time but I've listened to it for too long and now can't get it out of my head. Randomly trying different combinations.

clyp.it/krpvce3r

Btw one question - why the fuck can't I export this without those little occasional gaps and instrument mutes? (The bass never stops playing, unlike in this clyp). Also, for some reason FL shows usage of 35 gigs of RAM, kek. I have only 16 gigs. What's up with that?

>improving
Kek I meant improsiving

I can imagine this sounding really nice if it wasn't for the audio dropouts lel

Cheers lad

>FL

Found your problem.

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

What's everyone working on this bank holiday weekend? 1 extra day of producing is always welcome.

I'm going to do a bit of sound design later once my waves alchemy download has finished