Piano Improvisation Bullshit

Is this completely crazy/stupid? Is there anybody out there that desires to hear this stuff?

Let me explain:

When I was 8 years old, I got a Casio keyboard for Christmas. Though it had light-up keys to teach you songs, I had no desire to do that. I wanted to create my own music.

I didn't know anything about music at the time - nothing about theory - anything. I didn't play a lot of video games or watch tv, and so my time was divided between reading and playing my Casio.

I would sit at the keyboard and improvise for hours - playing what I thought sounded right and just letting my fingers do their thing. I always tried to express my innermost feelings in my playing, even though I'm not quite sure where I got that idea from.

I would record cassette tapes of my playing - and they're laying around somewhere. I haven't listened to them since.

By 7th grade, I started teaching myself piano and by 9th grade I got in my high school's award winning jazz band.

I have since become something of a session musician - I play on other people's stuff and play in other people's bands in addition to my own projects. I collect vintage keyboard instruments and teach lessons and substitute for the accompanist at my old high school.

Anyway, I sat down a second ago and played a little - in an attempt to get some conflicting thoughts about relationships, cognitive dissonance, and frustration out of me.

This is what came out.
vocaroo.com/i/s0Mpl8bDJPpA

To be honest - it's pretty shitty, especially toward the end. I stopped concentrating, and I lost control of my hands. The creepy jazz chords at the beginning, though - that all accurately communicates my feelings.

So, does anyone else do this sort of thing? Does anybody on this board use avant-garde piano improvisation as a catharsis? I'd love to hear recordings of stuff like this.

I'd also like to encourage everybody to try this, because it might ease your mind (it certainly eases mine).

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0Mpl8bDJPpA
vocaroo.com/i/s0gNXupNrYau
youtube.com/watch?v=T18u8UiZ4o4
youtube.com/watch?v=VeTFxbsVGrI
youtube.com/watch?v=aqE5By_69OY
youtube.com/watch?v=gQ6hMuF-sAY
youtube.com/watch?v=iL0cqbWZYsE
soundcloud.com/maestrohatemyself
soundcloud.com/jamar/blue-supernova
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not piano but bass guitar, yesterday I had a sad day couldn't shake my down.
Played my bass for 3 hours felt lot happier.

First of all, definitely keep doing what you're doing. You're already leagues beyond what more than 99% of Sup Forums is capable of.

Second of all, man that change after the halfway point just totally killed the mood. It seemed almost like you were afraid of the thoughts being conveyed in the first half, and said "let's talk about something else, I don't want to bring you down".

I think your harmonic vocabulary is not quite rich enough to convey what I think what you want to convey. You need to listen to more modern/20th century classical, the Second Viennese School in particular, your music is so so close to getting at what made their stuff great that it's actually agonizing me.

Thanks for the feedback! I didn't expect that, and it's really encouraging!

I totally feel you - especially about the 20th century classical stuff. I've been listening to modern ensembles a lot lately, and it's improved my sound a bit. There are a couple of books about modern harmony that I've been wanting to read - I might pick those up soon.

Partially holding me back is my lack of classical training. I was thrown into jazz early on in my playing and (while I can't play straight-ahead jazz) that's where my style sort of comes from.

>vocaroo.com/i/s0Mpl8bDJPpA

Very nice OP, I like how it turns bluesy all of a sudden. I do record piano improvisations as well but they are usually not as dissonance as yours.

Nigga I better see you posting in the soundcloud threads at some point

The Soundcloud threads are kind of weird for me. My Soundcloud page is full of tests, experimental hip-hop, and straight-forward recordings of live bands and rock and pop stuff I do. I just feel a little out of place in the Soundcloud threads.

In fact, this is probably the most avant-garde thing on my Soundcloud: vocaroo.com/i/s0gNXupNrYau

It's an improvisation me and a couple of friends did called Trapped in the Echo Chamber. Just a bunch of noise, really.

I might make a second Soundcloud page and start posting piano improv stuff, though.

I'd compare this to being articulate and having a great vocabulary not by reading great literature or majoring in english, but by hashing out text after text until you're fluent.
In the same line of thought as the comparison I'd say that the best way forward is to work with being concise, the musical counterpart to concise writing being composing a stand alone piece that expresses something while not lasting more than a few minutes or being all over the place sonically. Jimmy Webb is the first composer that springs to mind, you could write a hundred masters on his "Moon's a Harsh Mistress".

people would be more interested if you did synthesizer stuff

I agree. Synthesizer doesn't interest me too much, but it has grown on me on the past two years, so I might venture out in that world sometime.

Yeah, I don't like pushing musicians into doing this or doing that, but it's like you're leaning on the door and still trying to face this way, I just want you to turn around and go through to see what's on the other side. At the very least you need to get a proper "feel" for the stuff, right now I feel like you're approximating something that you understand unconsciously but are not actually aware of.

Some suggestions:
Scriabin: youtube.com/watch?v=T18u8UiZ4o4
Schoenberg: youtube.com/watch?v=VeTFxbsVGrI
Berg: youtube.com/watch?v=aqE5By_69OY
Webern: youtube.com/watch?v=gQ6hMuF-sAY
And on the jazz side of things, Cecil Taylor: youtube.com/watch?v=iL0cqbWZYsE

Wow, thanks for all the links. I definitely understand where you're coming from because I meet a lot of musicians with a ton of potential every day, so I try to point them in the right direction. Thanks for doing the same with me.

I'm familiar with Scriabin, Schoenberg, and ESPECIALLY Cecil Taylor (I heard a recording of Cecil Taylor as a kid and it inspired me to try this sort of stuff). I'll check out everything you linked to and do some more listening and learning!

>The Soundcloud threads are kind of weird for me.
Spam us with your music

like, these memes have got million dollar marketing

you go for that crazy sound

go ahead and release this with some windows 95 and 80s asia imagery on top and you're the next james ferraro

Pretty much everything I record is an in the moment cathartic release of improvised music

Also really enjoyed listening to your playing btw. Do you have more recordings somewhere like bandcamp?

Thanks everybody.
I made a Soundcloud for my improvisations - I might start uploading stuff like this more often.

soundcloud.com/maestrohatemyself

why do you hate yourself maestro ?

one word: creative intuition.

It's a comment on capitalism - hence the $ in "self"

Okay, actually - I just picked that name at random for the Soundcloud.
At one point a few years ago, I was making beats for local rappers and I used the name DJ H₳TE M¥ $SELF to promote my stuff - because I literally hated that I was "selling out" to make some of the stuff I had to make for them.

I started playing guitar at the same age, somewhat close to how you approached piano, but I already had somewhat of a basic idea of where I wanted to go. Eventually I got interested in jazz through school as well, and these days it seems like it evolved into a mixture of country, jazz, classical, and rock (but instead of creating something avant-gard, I tried to create a stylistic mediator instead, making my style adaptable to almost anything
Ex. soundcloud.com/jamar/blue-supernova

bump

mind to show beats ?