How can anyone take metal serious?

how can anyone take metal serious?

this is actually not a troll question, avid metal listeners what are the main intrinsic values that make you listen to metal? or is it all about releasing your insecure anger?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EjH8RAJBBu0
soundcloud.com/simonswerwer/sets/dwarf-fortress-soundsense-1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

depends on what kind of metal
not all of it is aggressive (releasing insecure anger)

You post on Sup Forums and it's overwhelmingly likely that you enjoy Sup Forumscore. You don't get to criticise others.

>this is actually not a troll question
Yes it is.
Better question:
How can anyone with decent headphones enjoy metal? It's all so terribly mixed.

>is it all about releasing your insecure anger?
to a certain extent yeah
but asking why someone listens to metal is like asking why someone listens to jazz or shoegaze, its just a preference

WHAT PENETRATING INSIGHT MY MOUTHBREATHING TEENAGE FRIEND WOW STAGGERING ANALYSIS WOW

>implying

youtube.com/watch?v=EjH8RAJBBu0

Metal is the musical equivalent of action and horror movies.

Your question is equivalent to "how can anyone take action or horror seriously?" which I think you'll agree is a stupid question.

>a stupid question
It is, but it's not uncommon.
Did you never have to justify your love of horror films to plebs or soft people?

It sounds cool.
>releasing your insecure anger
>insecure anger
I'm sorry?

literally just the energy and riffs
metal is pretty stupid theatrical nonsense, i never take it too seriously most of the time
but it's fun

why take anything seriously? What's objective seriouscore that no one would be able to scoff at? I don't think it exists

Because I enjoy listening to it
It's energetic, aggressive, fun, brooding, somber.
Why does anyone listen to music?

Sometimes I listen to metal because I'm angry or frustrated or sad.
Right now I'm just calm and at peace and I'm still enjoying metal for all the intricate drum patterns, dissonant guitar riffs and just general heaviness that make it a memorable experience.
I'm not a metal head at all, I listen to hip hop and electronic music just as much. I used to think it was pretty shitty music but then I started lurking here and started to listen to actual good metal and it blew my mind.
Ignore how they dress and enjoy the music

how can anyone take rap serious?

this is actually not a troll question, avid rap listeners what are the main intrinsic values that make you listen to rap? or is it all about releasing your insecure anger and desire to be a gangster?

t. indie emogays listening underweight virgin.

most simple reason is just because i like it.
I don't think there's any more explaining to do besides that. I dont understand that people can listen to rap music but hey.. if you're into it who the fuck am i to say something about it.
I also think that metal is extremely varied and there's some true art in there if you find the right stuff

Because it's more interesting and creative than 90% of other rock music coming out right now
T. Someone who used to despise metal for long time

Rap is like folk music, but instead of three chords you get drum beats

You could say the same thing about noise or hardcore punk. Metal, like all other music, is a form of artistic expression, and, like all art, there are some people who pull meaning from it and others that don't. Every fucking week we get some asshat who asks "hur dur why do ppl even listen to (insert genre here) anyways?"

same way as any other genre of music

>or is it all about releasing your insecure
What??? Its about the sounds.

I once was sad for some reason I dont remember and started to doom metal for the sake of checking if it would have some effect on me, and didnt had ANY effect

>metal
>serious
There's your problem. A not of metal you don't take too serious. I'm assuming you aren't talking about Wolves in the Throne Room or Black Sabbath, you mean bands like Cannibal Corpse and Pathology? Those extreme genres you don't want to take too seriously, there is no way around the fact that "I Cum Blood" isn't a least a little silly. Have you ever watched Cabin in the Woods? Its a silly movie but there are a lot of serious parts that make it great too. Even the silly parts are extremely creative. To listen to metal (i manly listen to brutal death metal so if I'm off target we might be talking about different genres) you need to understand it's not super serious but that doesn't mean it can't be good. It's just like any movie with over the top gore, it's crazy and brutal but still fun.

Seeing how you posted the biggest, worst meme of all (not just black) metal music, your judgement and perception are evidently invalid and skewed. However, I will gallantly let this slide.

>what are the main intrinsic values that make you listen to metal?
I could try my best to explain to you how I see it and what I feel when I listen to the music, but I think that would be a waste of both mine and your time, so I strongly suggest you go ahead and listen to Taake, who basically is to black metal what Shakespeare was to English literature. Listen to pic related, his most easily accessible release, and you might understand.

It's all about the riffs. Atmoshitters aren't real metal fans.

>and horror movies.
if anything this would be dark ambient

I don't know OP I think they look pretty fucking cool

>Rap is like folk music, but instead of three chords you get drum beats
Nope its not.
For the most part, its manufactured bullshit.

They even had to make run dmc make music video with aerosmith to make it looks cool.
"look, listen to rap, it is as cool as rock"

That's a fair point, if you don't like it then you don't. For some people though, they might enjoy the sound but can't get past the lyrics/imagery/etc. So it's a fair question because they might just want to understand it.

Spot on. It's not too serious, it's just cool and fun. You learn to just go with it and you enjoy it more.

A lot of it yeah, especially if you mainly listen to thrash.

That's describes a lot of my music taste. I listen to a lot of just non-serious music. When I'm not listening to Slam I'm probably listening to Bo Burnham or Watsky (that's a bit of an exaggeration but you get the idea).

Yeah, that's the majority of the reason a lot of more casual people listen to it. If OP wants to get into it then that's probably the angle to take. There are a lot of reasons people like metal, that's a good way to look at it.

You have the heart of a metal head, I respect that.

I listen to it, because it's a genre that suits me best. It helps me when I'm depressed, sad, angry or whatever. It's great for listening to when you're taking long midnight walks. And stuff like that, nothing really does it for me as much as metal does, but I also love to listen to other genres, like say experimental stuff like Death Grips is one of my favorite things.

Numales are incapable of understanding angry music because they are passive pansies.

SAVAGE
REKT

It's honestly the riffs desu, If it wasn't the 99999/10 guitar riffs I would have dropped the genre

I think for the most part is you have to really grow up with it. Of course thats not the case for everyone, but most people i see who don't like metal either listened to a few shitty bands in their youth or has never listened to metal obviously aren't going to like it later on in life, especially if you pitch them an aggressive metal band. It's more acquired and a taste that evolved over time, but don't bitch (not saying you are) when you don't "get" metal after you listen to Sarcafago or Hellhammer, especially if thats you're only taste of REAL metal and all you listen to is indie folk and hip-hop.

I kek'd/10

I dunno OP.

I was a goofy fucker back when I was a kid. I was angry and I wanted to be taken seriously. I was in pain and I wanted someone to acknowledge it. Metal provided an outlet.

It seems so silly now.

What do you listen to now?

it's not like I'm thinking about my insecurities when listening to fucking riffs, all those fucking riffs man, if you don't like those fucking riffs you're an extremely inconsequential person

Ah, I dunno. I'm all over the place these days. I listened to behtohvens moonlight sonata and a song by ghoultown called "werewolves on wheels" in the same day.

I have Stings "10 summoners Tales" and Enigma on the same IPod with "KIll Em All" by Metallica.

Truth is I'm just old. Nothing really excites me anymore, cept the really old spirtuals the internet brings me. Everything now a days is too fast, too loud.

sounds depressing lad

this is probably the last thing that really moved me. Nearly brought me to my knees.

oops forgot link

soundcloud.com/simonswerwer/sets/dwarf-fortress-soundsense-1

songs name is kogunson

I'm kind of dead inside. Its like the bass brought a stillness to my soul.

I can still hear the happy tunes all around me, but nothing resonates deep enough to stir the well. I think now is maybe the time for brighter, happier tunes, a time to forget our troubles of the past and indulge in being young again.

How am I supposed to twerk to this?

maybe its alright for this generation to be a little shallow. Who knows how long this peace will last? Who ever really knows if they are going to see tomorrow?

We laid some heavy shit on the millennials, maybe all they really want is a happy little place with some happy little tunes to sing their heart out with.

It can't all be doom and gloom.

With a white hot coal jammed up your ass

tankard basher is a good one to raise your ire. Its coal miner music. Really puts you in the revolutionary spirit.

I often think back on being a teenager and wonder if I'll ever be that angry again. I got so burnt out on metal and grunge, I've gone numb. Its as if I've severed every nerve and broken every bone in my body, I'm just trying to restore feeling again.

Repressed memories and feelings, it's not your fault m8

RIFFS
I
F
F
S