Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yHDMG3RWS0o
clyp.it/y1desibz
clyp.it/xde53c3b
youtu.be/V57QOrAH-_s?t=9m25s
musictheory.net/lessons
musictheory.net/lessons/21
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what is your opinion on the Jackson Kelly models?
I'm planing on buying the JS32T
>Marty Friedman

Holy shit this sounds so nice, it's like a 35w head of a Delxue Reverb (without the reverb but I have to Reverb pedals so i doesn't matter) the only flaw is I don't know for sure if it's 4ohms or 8ohms, some sites list it at 4ohms but I always thought Fender amps were 8ohm

how about this one?

R8 my rig

so i've played for like 7 months on a shitty high action acoustic, learning songs i like/scales/chord shapes

is it actually important to learn how to solo because i really do not plan on ever playing that type of music

sidewayshouse/10

bass/10

Although for real,
>Iron Maiden Poster
>Nice amp
>Sweet Jazz
>Sunburst (ew)
8/10

Should I buy a guitar or an amp first?

I have around 600 bucks to spend and currently own a 200 dollar epiphone sg special and a 50 dollar cube amp.

depends on what your doing if your just jerking it at home i would get a better guitar since it will feel look and sound better but if you want to gig, buy a new amp a fifty dollar cube amp probably wont due and will blow or sound like shit.

Thanks user.

I started jamming with a couple of friends and my amp just sounds like shit when the volume is on 10.

>Martin guitars
>Gretsch guitars
>Yamaha guitars
>Samick guitars
>Bass guitars with more than 4 strings
>guitars with more than 6 strings
>Erg's
>Stone and/or wood picks
>plastic picks
>finger picks
>Expensive cables
>nylon strings
>steel strings
>nickel strings
>Jazz guitar
>Blues guitar
>rock guitar
>classical guitar
>metal guitar
>folk guitar
>Anything "handwired"
>Math rock
>"time signatures"
>Music "theory"
>playing "by ear"
>reading music
>Guitars with more than one point
>"Shredding"
>fingerstyle
>"phrasing"
>"rhythm" guitar
>"lead" guitar

O I am laffin

Ive been learning guitar with my friends acoustic for a while now and I know how to play basic chords etc.

So Im thinking of getting my own. Is squier CV 50 good?

>playing guitar

get a MIM tele.

Went too far with it. No longer subtle.

It doesn't matter. None of this matters.

it's always good to have solo skills in your guitfiddle repertoire

king crimson/10

honestly, all you need.

Scales aren't just for soloing. Practicing them will improve your finger dexterity, and allow you to anticipate the kinds notes you get from different neck positions. If you know that, you can craft your music into any direction

I've had my MIM Strat ever since I started playing. I'd consider looking at the Hendrix strats they just released. Little bit pricier as a mexican, but plays great

I've been playing for about 3-4 months. I have a 30 dollar amp and a 600 dollar guitar. One pedal

what guitar is that senpai

it's a guitar

>I have a 30 dollar amp and a 600 dollar guitar.

excellent work

How do I into blues lead guitar? I understand the pentatonic and which notes I can use but I'm not sure how to apply it over chords.

I just want to be play with other people and when it comes my turn to solo, do something interesting like video related

Is it just a matter of memorizing hundreds of licks? Any good videos on YT that teach basic blues soloing?

youtube.com/watch?v=yHDMG3RWS0o

just listen to blues players that you want to sound like and copy their licks

Try and use the notes on the scale to make the guitar sound like vocals. Just play the notes you think would sound good sung.

>tfw own a 1700 dollar guitar and a shitty SS amp from the 70s with a bass cab

I'm a disgrace

I'll give that a shot anons. There's a part of me that wants to understand why I'm playing what I'm playing but I guess that's pretty autistic

It's normal, part of improvising is being able to call back what you've just played in case you wanna add to it, and you need to know what you're playing in order to do that.

So can someone explain to me how best to practice the very idea behind jazz improvisation?
The main idea behind jazz solos more complicated than a ii-V-I seems to be adjusting scale degrees every chord change. In this example, any mode in the Major scales can be used, there's just no reason to list them when the major gets the point across clearer in context of the circle of fifths. My personal goal is always to use as few accidentals as possible. There are also tons of options withon these well beyond just major and minor tonality including any of the pentatonic scales etc which don't follow traditional harmonies.
Say for example, we're starting out simply if I'm playing in C major, my first chord being a C9(CEGBbD), our I chord, I can pretend I'm playing an F major scale(which accommodates the Bb) then moves to a F11(FACEbGBb), our IV chord, which would mean I'd be able to move to a Bb Major scale(to accomodate the Eb while keeping continuity using the Bb). Next chord is a Neapolitan 2nd(of sorts) in C, a Db9(DbFAbCbEb), a bII chord, this one is really weird, not friendly since there's three new altered scale degrees now in order to think of this a different way we could imagine it as a Gb Major scale(This accomodates for our Cb and all others). This moves to our next chord, E9(EG#BDF#), our III(a V borrowed from A minor, relative minor to C). We could play an A Major to accomodate for the notes in this chord.
The cadence begins here with a ii, Dm9(DFACE) we can for the first time play in C major. Next chord before the repeat is our V, G9(GBDFA) this allows us to stay in C major.
Whole progression repeats after.

Basically How do I get better at changing keys in the middle of a solo, while remembering to make a meaningful melody that builds from it?
It's a mindfuck.

making a Hofner violin semi hollow bass based off of a couple of videos that hofner put out on making their bass, being a semi- experienced woodworker, i think it's gonna come out just fine.

expect to see the finished version, no tobacco finish, gonna make it out of maple, rosewood fretboards, two pickups and such.

expect to see that in a bit, i guess, i've always thought that polished maple is the best shit for an instrument.

CAPTCHA: BEEDLE

Am I the most experienced guitar player here lurking these threads? 8 years.
>inb4 time means nothing
I've studied classical guitar and jazz guitar in school. I know a bit of theory, but I'm not a music major. Please someone challenge me.

scales.

I play classical, have for 10 years. Dabbled in jazz as my ensemble credits in college.
Got my Bachelors in Music(do something different)
4 years of theory work both aural and written, a semester 16th century counterpoint amongst other various classes to satisfy credit requirements.

Get over yourself.

If you're bored and want something to learn and play, Mertz's Elegie is a challenging piece and will keep you busy. Played it for jury and an audition once during my second year.

>Get over yourself
I was just asking senpai. Also, you've just sort of proven my assumption that music majors are snobs lmfao.

Pretty cool to major in music, though. I'm not brave enough to study what I really enjoy, so I'm in engineering. Much respect. Recommend me an album you really like and I'll listen to it tonight. Needing inspiration as of late

Sup guys, any one have some new tones to show off that they found and liked?

thank you mr st. Vincent

My point was that there's always a bigger fish.
Someone will always be better than myself, I did alright at guitar competitions, I put myself out there to be scrutinized amd compared to others. I never won, not because I didn't play well or do my best, the other guitarists there were just that much better in some fashion.
Studying music was a mistake, you quickly realize that while the knowledge is grand and helpful, it's not always applicable, not necessary to teach beginners(majority of students), you can't be an adjunct at a Uni or College without a higher degree, and you can always play out without one.

Listen to Lobos' Suite Populaire Bresilianne.
May find something there.

>implying that post was ever "subtle"

ty familia

clyp.it/y1desibz

here's somethings i did.

can i hear what you do- i love hearing other guitarists play.

Samson C02 Pencil Condenser Microphones
$108 on Amazon.
Are they any good for autistic guitar and vocals?
And is this the best bang for my buck?

on your account
>clyp.it/xde53c3b

hoaly maoly user

Holy shit that's good

it is weebshit and i do not care at all.

> Left handed
> Decide to try and learn the guitar
> Check out my options for entry level electrics
> Gloss black
> Gloss black
> Gloss black

I mean fuck it who needs colors anyway I guess

should i cop a made in nippon westone on the cheap or nah

Learn guitar right handed

I'm a lefty but play all my instruments right handed

It's easy to jam with other people and the price for things are lower

Trust me it's gonna benefit you so much

>I'm a lefty but play all my instruments right handed

You are a disgrace to your people

Not him but I do the same
we must adapt to our right handed world

>You are a disgrace to your people
Pretentious lefties are the bassists of the guitarists.

Hey lads I just started playing the other week. Any opinions on whether I should give my fingers a couple days break or just push through the pain?
I want to keep playing every day, but it's getting pretty hard now. I'm sure you've all experienced this, so any thoughts?

Don't stop until you can play at least half of foreigners discography then you will be fine

>you will never get a walnut rickenbacker

Why even play?

Thanks user.
Which album should I start learning first? I was going to start with 4, but maybe Foreigner is the better starting place.

You little minx

fuck, that's really nice

mega link plz boi

What is the best sub €800 left handed superstrat?

>don't know my alphabet
>mfw trying to learn theory

Who are you dictating your posts to, user?

Daily reminder I will NEVER be good at guitar

Can someone please help?

Why does it go GABCDE and then F# rather than just F?

youtu.be/V57QOrAH-_s?t=9m25s

Steal other people's licks and solos, either transcribing them yourself or find other people's transcriptions online.

Also playing with backing CDs or real humans helps a bunch too.

He's come at it entirely the wrong way around. He should have talked about the number of semitones between each note in the scale first, rather than just going "oh if you play all the naturals it's C major or A minor".

I would suggest that, while Fake Dr Levin is entertaining in a had-far-too-many-drugs kind of way, his channel is not the best place to learn theory from the ground up.

Thank you Mr guitar transsexual

Hey what position should I have my guitar in to have it comfortable for my fretting hand

because this shit is awful in every way

well then where user??????

Set it up on your knee so that it's comfortable for your fretting hand.

This site seems pretty good: musictheory.net/lessons

Probably focuses a bit too much on notation for a guitarist, but see if you like it. The main advantage it has over Fake Dr Hofmann is that the ideas are clearly demarcated and approached in a logical order.

is speed something that gets easier over time? i can't play fucking anything fast even though i know perfectly well how to play it slowly

Yes. It's primarily muscle memory that's getting in your way.

If you want to be able to play fast, practice something over and over again and then your speed will pick up as you become more familiar with whatever you're learning / playing.

This is why learning your scales and various scale patterns is crucial.

It's muscle memory, it'll come over time, just keep speeding it up until you get there.

Hahaha no don't actually listen to him just gitgud

I played a fretted bass for 4 years, I know my way around a fretboard. Now I sold it and am in the market for a new one. I am seriously considering going fretless and buying the bass pic related. I've played it and is feels really nice (second hand and set up by luthier). I am loving the fretless and have no difficulty getting most of what I want out of it.

My question is, is it worth having it as a main? If I go to certain types of gigs with it, will I be frowned upon? Is there a stigma of sorts to it that I need to be aware of? I play many styles like funk, blues, stoner rock and some metal.Obviously I am really enjoying it and that's what matters in the end. So any recommendations you guys could give me will be appreciated.

>giving a fuck what other people think
Just own it.

will i then be able to just play the certain pattern quickly or will it translate to being fast at other stuff too?

I am lefty I only play lefty.
tried right handed but it just didn't work & not worth the time it will take to relearn.

People will say "oh its your dominant hand so it will be great for fretting!"

BS, if it were true every r/h player would be playing l/h guitars.

Because I have a much better guitar.

It translates over time but every piece is different and takes a certain amount of time to learn.
It's why we practice and rehearse.

where did you learn personally

Work on accuracy before speed.

Learn things as slow as you need to play without mistakes and build speed from there.

Trying to play too fast won't help anything - you're just practicing in mistakes and not learning properly.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent, you need proper, thoughtful and engaged practice to make perfect.

Playing piano at 13. You just pick it up on the way.

not clicking this virus

Uh, okay. Go watch Fake Dr Levin.

wont be taking your advice here

1970s/10

I told you to:
1) Not watch Fake Dr Levin
and:
2) Watch Fake Dr Levin

Given my self-contradicting advice, it is literally not possible for you to avoid following it. Whatever you do, you will be taking one of the two actions above.

can you please please please explain why it goes up to f# and not just f

I found my left hand was better at fretting so I guess I was just lucky

musictheory.net/lessons/21

To construct the major scale, the intervals between degrees runs in the order:
T T s T T T s
Where 'T' means whole tone (two semitones) and 's' means single semitone.

Start on G, and go from there.

thx mr. guitar transsexual

nice Rick, man

if your cab weren't rekt and the bass had a tort or black pickguard it would be 10/10 desu

i have these, i got them for like $60 to record band practice in stereo (worked pretty well) but now i use them as overhead mics for drums.
quality/price-wise they're probably the best mics i've used, and they're pretty versatile.
i wouldn't use them for vocals though