/Tapes Thread/

Show your collection

literally why

my dad has loads of old leonard cohen tapes that he bought at shows in the 80s/ 90s

Pure cringe.

Well tapes are cheap and I like how the stuff looks

Like your post.

not my whole collection but some recent finds

i love tapes and i love you

Would like it if only you didn't have Bjork.

This.

a few more favorites

that album grew on me after a few listens. it sounds super dated but it's well crafted interesting pop

Did you buy them online ? I struggle to find good places to buy tapes

some of the smaller ones i get online but most i buy at shows or record stores. record stores with good tape sections are becoming pretty tough to find though. thrift stores sometimes have tapes for cheap but they're rarely good finds or in great condition.

old pic, fraction of my collection

just saw powaqqatsi for the first time the other day... still like the koyaanisqatsi score better though

10/10

Here it is

I've been thinking about getting into tapes for the more limited noise releases. Anybody got a rec on a solid player?

Have shit collection sorry guys.

look for brands like Nakamichi, Tandberg, Pioneer, Teac. try to grab a model from the early to mid 90s, but 80s models should be fine, especially if it's a Nakamichi like the ZX-9 or the Dragon. a 2-head deck is find if all you'll be doing is listening; if you're planning on recording stuff, try to get a 3-head. newer models will have stuff like Dolby S or HX but that shouldn't really matter that much because if you're listening to noise tapes they wouldn't have been recorded with those Dolby systems anyway. bring a shitty tape you don't care about to try before you buy - older decks can have problems like degraded lubrication and shitty, disintegrating rollers, tires and belts. of course, if you find a good deck (like the aforementioned ZX-9 or Dragon) that eats tapes but is at a good price like $50 or $100, it's still definitely worth picking up because if it's fixed up it can sell for many times that price.

Thanks for all the info user

i want this more than anything

you're welcome senpai

visit vintagecassette.com to get info about specific decks when you find them, and hit up tapeheads.net if you want to bullshit with a whole lot of people who are way too serious about tapes