RIP P4K

Remember when they used to be a website you could go
to and read about music and NOT have to wade through an entire page worth of this stupid bullshit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WcSXbvzW91U
pitchfork.com/artists/4042-scharpling-and-wurster/
pitchfork.com/artists/5383-patton-oswalt/
pitchfork.com/artists/862-david-cross/
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15015-hilarious/
pitchfork.com/artists/29114-hannibal-buress/
pitchfork.com/artists/5989-aziz-ansari/news/
youtube.com/watch?v=jam_SzaNXds
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no

rip Sup Forums
remember when faggots like you didn't take screenshots of pitchfork and make threads about them

No

getting real tired of this shit. pitchfork actually used to be good, or at least not offesively shitty. this is some buzzfeed tier garbage.
i don't wanna click it, but i can only imagine how many times they typed "queen" and "slay" in the article.

i remember back in 2002 a forum i was on was bitching about how much they started covering kylie minogue.

so the answer is no

no

thank you for not being a memey dipshit

ok right

But it literally wasn't the vast majority of what they used to cover. The Beyonce/Rhianna/Drake/Kanye (to a lesser degree) bullshit was always more what they covered on the side, and they didn't even ever fucking review a Beyonce album until the one before Lemonade. Now they're acting like that's their primary target audience.

Now if I wanna find news about even the most token indie/"alternative"'artist that used to be their main focus, I have to actually dig through days worth of MTV level bullshit to find it. Fuck that.

They were never GREAT or even particularly good, but at least they did cover artists that I liked pretty competently and with better access than anyone else did. Now they can't even fucking get that right.

They are completely 100% Rolling Stone territory now.

>Now if I wanna find news about even the most token indie/"alternative"'artist that used to be their main focus, I have to actually dig through days worth of MTV level bullshit to find it. Fuck that.

And yet everything else still seems to be worse than pitchfork

That's the most annoying goddamn part, because they are still the one outlet that has the most access to that and makes a (now seemingly marginal) effort to provide coverage for it.

You have shitty blogs like Stereogum or DIS or whatever the fuck that basically just repost whatever Pitchfork writes. There are good larger music blogs like GvB or Brooklyn Vegan, but they're much more specialized and don't really do much news either as much as they do show/album reviews and also repost from P4K occasionally.

Shit's fucked.

They reviewed 4 Beyonce albums before Lemonade, ever since 2006. Crazy In Love was like #4 on their best songs of the 2000s list. Rihanna since 2007. Kanye has been receiving BNMs and a massive amount of coverage from them since 2004.

>vast majority

Top 40 pop isn't the vast majority at all though, in any category. News, reviews, tracks, any of it. Today after the VMAs is different in the news section obviously.

I'm not saying Pitchfork isn't way more pop oriented, it is. But there's no reason to exaggerate. Top 40 pop maybe makes up 5% of the albums and tracks they review, even less the one's they give BNM and heavily focus on. Click baity top 40 news I'll say up to 25% or so.

Who are the new tastemakers, Sup Forums?

Idk, I mean you make some points (though when I checked the artist page for Beyonce the only albums they have reviewed by her are Lemonade and the one from a few years ago.)

Like they seem really pandery the past year or so, and I'm not even one to bitch about "OMG THEY COVER BLACK PEOPLE MUSIC MORE NOW"

But like, they actually had a post about Larry Wilmore's show getting cancelled, even though that's not even really tangentially music news at all aside from the fact that he had musical guests a couple times, and was a pretty thinly veiled (and pretty insulting desu) attempt at a "black culture interest" piece by P4k, and they do that shit *all the time* now.

They all died.

>it didnt used to be memed on
>monkey peeing in its own mouth

youtube.com/watch?v=WcSXbvzW91U

It's Pitchfork, Pitchfork and Pitchfork

You could read pitchfork hate threads back in 2009, 7 years later they're still the focus of attention and they will be for quite some time.

The truth? Music websites don't stand out at all, there are many of them and they just put out the same kind of coverage and even reviews (and ratings), Resident Advisor used to stand out, Hipster Runoff got buzz in its time, Pitchfork's made people mad since their inception and that's why they got their place on the internet.

>though when I checked the artist page for Beyonce the only albums they have reviewed by her are Lemonade and the one from a few years ago.
Your computer must be broken m8. "4"-s 8.0 score is even on the p4k conspiracy Ryan Dombal graphic that's always posted

>Like they seem really pandery the past year or so

If you wanna get down to the nitty gritty, they've been covering pop a lot more since MBDTF got a 10 in 2010. You must be fairly new to Pitchfork and Sup Forums since Sup Forums flipped its shit when they gave Ariana Grande a BNT two and a half years ago, had Carly Rae Jepsen on the year end song list 4 years ago, obsessed over Drake 5 years ago....

>But like, they actually had a post about Larry Wilmore's show getting cancelled, even though that's not even really tangentially music news at all aside from the fact that he had musical guests a couple times, and was a pretty thinly veiled (and pretty insulting desu) attempt at a "black culture interest" piece by P4k, and they do that shit *all the time* now.

I'm not gonna argue that Pitchfork isn't race/lib pandering these days, they are. That said, they've been covering some comedians that are relevant to Pitchfork's hipster readership for a long time
pitchfork.com/artists/4042-scharpling-and-wurster/
pitchfork.com/artists/5383-patton-oswalt/
pitchfork.com/artists/862-david-cross/
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15015-hilarious/
pitchfork.com/artists/29114-hannibal-buress/
pitchfork.com/artists/5989-aziz-ansari/news/

That's true - but those are actual comedians that really do release comedy albums - they even used to review a comedy album every now and then (Louis CK right off the top of my head if I'm not mistaken is the last one I can remember.)

And I know they've been doing mainstream pop for a while and they've been gradually going down that hill (I remember all of those things happening - shit I remember when they hilariously gave The Carter III a 9+ whatever.) I remember they would always slide Taylot Swift or Carrie Underwood songs near the bottom half of the best tracks of the year list even though they would never cover them beyond that.

It just seems like ever since they were sold last year, they've quickly circled the drain in terms of quality.

Shit, they didn't even used to cover the VMAs before (until the Kanye 10 roughly) besides the couple of P4k-core nominees there inevitably are each year. They sure as hell weren't writing full length features about "WAS BEYONCE'S VMA PERFORMANCE THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME?"

That kinda shit. That's what has taken Pitchfork from tolerably shitty level down to just as shitty as everyone else status.

>they even used to review a comedy album every now and then (Louis CK right off the top of my head if I'm not mistaken is the last one I can remember.)
I'm so confused at this conversation, I just linked a bunch of comedian pages including the exact review you're referring to so why are you riffing off the top of your head.
Between this and being unable to see Beyonce's reviews going back 10 years I'm convinced you're using an alternate world version of Pitchfork.
Anyway I think you're looking at past Pitchfork with more rose tinted glasses and nostalgia than you realize and are exaggerating how bad it is now (I'll concede that the news section has become much more pop oriented than the rest of the site, but only retards read the news section)

those are all shitty pop comedians who get covered at the vma's
what are you whining about

pitchfork has always been shitty like everyone else
The person who likes louis c.k. watches the vma's and listens to beyonce
why wouldn't pitchfork cater to their audience

Lol, they actually criticize the use of normie meme words in the article, but okay dont read it and talk shit on it xDDDDDDDd

why would i give it clicks? i don't support them publishing articles about shit like memes whatsoever, critique or not, so i'm not giving them clicks.

i know he gets memed alot on here, and it's how i discovered him, but the only music blog i can think of that is at all completely different from any other site is Marcel. there is really no other site that's doing what he's doing right now and it's sad that there aren't more unique people like him doing shit that could redeem music journalism at least a bit.

how is marcel unique at all?
youtube.com/watch?v=jam_SzaNXds

goddamn i forgot about that youtube kid

pretty decent meme though

Are you kidding me?Marcel? All he does is cocksuck opn,james ferraro and dean blunt
He doesn't realize those 3 are legit weirdos who have all had a bad acid trip.

tiny mix tapes still does some nu-male cuck shit like give every trap rap mixtape a 4/5 but they cover a lot of obscure stuff

>in class
>teacher has shitty text-on-picture """memes""" (complete with the makeameme.com watermark)
>talks about memes multiple times
>I don't sperg out because it's just a word
>tfw less autistic than all of Sup Forums

i was speaking more in the sense of that he talks about music that isn't really posted or discussed anywhere else and that his ratings almost always stray away from what most music websites give out to albums. that was one factor that made him seem unique to me. but yeah, i agree that he does seem to pander to a few artists.

>implying them being "3 legit weirdos..." is a bad thing
they're great
le noo mails XDDDD

it's a meme dumbass

all 3 of those artists are great, though. they deserve praise.

how is trap rap for numales?

let's not get into this

School has started, nobody's falling for your b8

>This recent reinvention seems to partly play into the fact that this album is littered with laughably mediocre guest appearances from artists who cater to the indie buzz-band, over-hyped blog rapper, modern post-hipster Condé Nast crowd.

Marcel is legitimately trash, though. He's a contrarian fuck with bad taste and even worse writing ability. I can't find a single one of his reviews that, honest to god if people were judging him for what he is, isn't even as good/not cringe inducing as that also terrible, but still better than anything he's ever written P4k Kid A review/copypasta.

Fuck Marcel.

>i can only imagine how many times they typed "queen" and "slay" in the article
and that's all you can do. Imagine, that is. because guess what, "queen" and "slay" were used a total of zero times

yes? and? i dont see what that has to do with what i said. enlighten me.

yet almost all of the other music blogs are totally trash and offer nothing interesting. i haven't really looked at his reviews so much but in terms of new music he's definitely more unique than horrid p4k and stereogumshit in that regard.