Recent Purchases

I got a bunch of stuff in the mail today and bought a bunch more last week, so I'm making a thread about it.

That New York Dolls record came straight from Japan. I never realised that American rock records released over there come with fully bilingual lyric sheets, so that was a pleasant surprise. That signed Dos CD was bought directly from Kira after she made a post on Facebook about selling them for $5 each. The only thing special about that Demonics CD is that it comes from Man's Ruin Records, which means it's been out of print for well over a decade.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007INW8AM/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1472529604&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=peter john stoltzman&dpPl=1&dpID=21Xk0d69vGL&ref=plSrch
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That Sonics record is a late-90s repress, because fuck if I'm ever going to spend two grand on an original pressing. I don't know for sure if that Residents record is an original press, but it's definitely old (the back of the sleeve talks about Not Available as being their "unreleased second album"). That U2 record came out of a discount bin and the vinyl itself certainly looks the part, but it plays just fine.

I don't own a lot of hip-hop records, so it probably won't surprise a few people when I say that that Terminator X record has some of the deepest bass in all of my collection. I own the CD as well and it sounds fine in and of itself, but the low end on the vinyl just shits all over everything.

That Ramones debut is a second U.S. pressing, but the Leave Home is a Canadian original that pre-dates Sire's association with Warner Bros. Plus it has "Carbona Not Glue" instead of the "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker" remix found on later pressings.

If you like emotional hardcore from Japan, Wormedup is worth checking out. I can't promise you'll like the vocals, but this sort hardcore with a bit of emo is right up my alley.

Why is it that other people's Recent Purchases threads tend to thrive, but mine always end up being ghost towns?

Also, that Soft Machine record sounds way too clean for a LP from 1969 -- not that I'm complaining.

I'll help you OP, here's mine I got yesterday

Pt2

Sorry if it turns sideways

Thanks, mang! Maybe I need to bait this board harder. On that note, here are the CDs I bought while I was in Toronto last Tuesday. Also, I never realised Boris and Merzbow have so many collaborations.

You know how labels used to release two full albums on one CD back when the medium was still kind of new? Remember how many of those 2-in-1 discs sound kind of tinny and/or muffled due to CD mastering technology not being that good yet? The Faust CD I picked up containing their first two albums doesn't have that problem. It came out in 2000, so it falls into that window of time where the Red Book standard was finalized but the Loudness Wars weren't in full swing yet. In other words, it sounds just fine.

Can't think of much to say about the other CDs.

It's a shame you didn't get that CCR last month, because Bayou Country is perfect music for this fucking hot-ass summer we've had.

The Deep Purple record is an old repress/reissue of their debut. I don't know why, but Harvest Records made a shitty habit out of giving their reissues shitty new covers during the '70s and/or '80s. That Fugs debut is also an old reissue, though in this case it seems ESP Disk liked the band so much that they obtained the rights to their first album and put it out after the bands sophomore was released. Side 2 is pretty scratched up but plays fine, however the center label on Side 1 overlaps with the run-out groove.

Fuck, where did you get that japanese ny dolls?
Other than the bilingual sheet is the sound of the record any different from the original counterpart?

Got these a few days ago, took this pic right after I got them

...then this was a couple weeks before

why are you buying music?
why not just torrent it?

I don't have a US pressing, so I can't compare. I plan on listening to it later this evening, so I can at least let you know if it's any good if this thread still exists. I got it from a Japanese seller on eBay.

entry-level shit tier

I've never listened to any of The Beatles' albums, I'm picking up their discography so I can marathon it. Sorry if it's boring.

bump

2poor2vinyl

Fingerprince looks like a repress. The cover on the original is darker and the labels are different

Aside from a few Bandcamp purchases, this is my most recent haul.

Samefag, forgot a couple of things came in a separate package from the same order.

David Bowie - Self-Titled
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Tomahawk - Anonymous

got dis

Gave a listen to that New York Dolls record. I'm pretty sure I heard a few details that I don't recall ever hearing on the CD I own. I'm not able to go into detail because this was my first time hearing the record and I wasn't taking notes. One of these days I'll listen to the two discs side-by-side and compare them, but I've got too much else to listen to first.

We all gotta start somewhere, dude.

I mean I already have a pretty big collection and listen to plenty, I just didn't have anything by The Beatles. Never really got to it.

I only recently picked up The White Album, and don't have anything else by them. There's only so much money to go around, here, so I'm torn between adventurous purchases and just stocking up on stuff I know I like.

I'm considering moving into a policy of 'if every member of the band is dead, pirating is okay', but only if I can find lossless in the event I want to make a physical copy for whatever reason.

Dollar bin's the best place for adventurous purchases. You can find some neat stuff nobody else has or knows about in there.

But yeah I feel the same. It's more of a matter of everytime I go shopping for albums, I buy what I'm looking for and what I think looks neat before I purchase "essentials". I actually am interested in going through The Beatles' catalog now, so I'm just looking for their original CD pressings until I get em all so I can marathon through them. I've only got 6 left to find.

We've got some truly great used record and CD stores in the South Ontario region, great for discount stuff.

Doctor Disc in Hamilton has a huge (for a small business) floorspace, three floors including a basement, and the entire wall-to-wall CDs and records basement is a giant discount bin. I could spend all afternoon there and only dig through half of it. Haven't gone there in forever, really should. Me and my Dad love shopping for music.

And that's not even getting into the 5$ or less record bins that litter the three flea markets in my town. If anyone wants to start a collection of vinyl records, flea markets are a great place to start. You'll find entry level mixed with essentials mixed with obscure gems mixed with all the top 40s from the 50s to the 90s.

>Doctor Disc in Hamilton has a huge (for a small business) floorspace, three floors including a basement, and the entire wall-to-wall CDs and records basement is a giant discount bin. I could spend all afternoon there and only dig through half of it. Haven't gone there in forever, really should. Me and my Dad love shopping for music.

Sounds like that record store basement DJ Shadow went through to make his albums. I live in Los Angeles, but that sounds awesome as hell. I'll make sure to stop by if I ever go to Canada. Thank you

There really is no place like a record store basement. It's a solemn place, almost always empty save for you and a couple of other enthusiasts at most.

Definitely in the mood to hit it up again in September, after I get my new CD shelves built. I've run out of room for my albums over the last year, and have been putting off building a new media storage unit for them. CDs stacked everywhere.

>CDs stacked everywhere.

Rip

I kinda wanna use this as a setup for when I eventually get to performing live sets. Have milkcrates of CDs (on their side, CD spines facing towards the audience) in front of the table. It's got that rough feeling of dusty storage I like, kinda like an antique store or the basement of a record store.

Big Pink: $10
Lodger: $10
Movement: $13
YHF: $12

I don't know what I did to deserve such an amazing local record store. Somehow they always have used copies of fairly recent and popular albums.

Just bought all the Cure 2CD remasters from my local Hastings, they didn't have Disintegration though

Roazt mi moo

the problem i have with looking in dollar bins is that there are always like 300 christmas-season-y CD's to sift through. and another reason is that there is no guarantee that it will work/won't be scratched

Always ask if you can inspect the CD before you purchase, if it's a place that stores CDs separately. Most dollar bins I've rummaged don't even bother with that though.

Just got this, still no fucking player

Here's some stuff that arrived in the mail recently.

is that a money store table cloth?

Nah, t-shirt.

is it from redbubble? how's the quality and do you wear it out much? sorry for all the questions

bc I got these for free

It's from redbubble, the quality is good but it's pretty new, and it's very soft
Get the graphic tee version, everything else just has one dog mask in the middle

Yeah pretty much , most CD stores won't bother with the dollar bin. If they do, ask to check a CD you're interested in to make sure it isn't damaged. I've found some amazing stuff in them though. The White Album's original CD issue, various stuff from 90s rock bands (even well praised stuff like Siamese Dream), you can find some odd stuff in there too. I found an album I assumed was a prog rock album, turned out to be a 3 disc album of adult contemporary and smooth jazz; sounds like if Kenny G tried making The White Album. Found it hilarious, might try sampling it. This thing sells for 20 bucks on his website though, I found it for a dollar and have never been able to find another copy since.

So yeah, even the seemingly terrible albums can be worth it. You just have to take the time to dig through the sand to find the gold.

wew would you look at that, I just checked Amazon and it sells for little to nothing. 4 bucks!

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007INW8AM/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1472529604&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=peter john stoltzman&dpPl=1&dpID=21Xk0d69vGL&ref=plSrch

Grabbing the WLFTMOI boxset tomorrow

Whereabouts in Hamilton? Moving into res at Mohawk on saturday, need a local record store to hit up

The record on the bottom left is a compilation of Canadian punk bands released by Fans Of Bad Productions Records. It features Propagandhi and Danko Jones, plus it came with a bonus 7" and CD. Not bad for $10.

The Spiderland is a recent-ish reissue. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet Touch & Go probably used the same pressing plates as the original run.

Tear It Up is a black vinyl pressing from the original label to release it. One neat thing about it is the bonus track "hidden" behind a locked groove on side 2.

Not much to say about that Violent Femmes LP. If you dig the debut but haven't heard Hallowed Ground yet, make sure to give it a listen.

>We've got some truly great used record and CD stores in the South Ontario region, great for discount stuff.

You're damn right, son! I live in Guelph, and not counting thrift store the only used CD place we got is the Beat Goes On. Most of pic related came from there.

That's all I got for now. The only recent purchases I don't have pictured is my original U.K. pressing of the first Ramones album and a yellow vinyl copy of Bottomless Pit. There's also CD copies of that album by Hoover and the special edition mono version of Piper at the Gates of Dawn on their way to me as we speak, plus I might be going to Toronto again later this week for more shopping.

If there's one thing thatr sucks about my collecting habits right now, it's the fact that the only records left on my "Must Own" list are expensive. I'll always come across something cheap that catches my interest, but I had to go out of my way to pay too much money for some of what I posted. For Example, that New York Dolls record has some rather noticeable surface noise, yet it was the cheapest copy I could find online anywhere at more than $30 (thank goodness the shipping was free/included).

Damn so many southern ontarians here, grabbed these at Beat Goes On in Burlington

bump