Mexico

Is Mexico worth moving to? I'm about to finish university & have a degree in atmospheric sciences. I have around 80k in the bank I'd use to move and settle in.

Anyone live in Mexico that can tell me if it's worth it? I've researched it a lot but most people praising it all seem to be expats and I can't tell if they're just trying to justify their move.

I'd be looking for a place in Mexico City or Guadalajara, if that's a deciding factor.

Mexico is a homophobic shithole

That flag

Mexico City is big and very busy compared to Guadalajara
Do you have any job offers or something like that?
80k depends in wich part (of Mexico City) do you settle, in a nice and european style neiborhood or in a more popular area.
Also do you speak spanish?

No it's not, I'm genuinely curious. It seems like a nice place, and it's also relatively cheap.

(I say relatively because it's probably only cheap since I've been making usd rather than pesos of course)

>Do you have any job offers or something like that?
No not yet. I do know that Mexico at least has positions open for people with degrees in atmospheric science.
>Also do you speak Spanish?
A little bit. I can hold a conversation sort of.

If you're just moving to a gated community in Lake Chapala or San Miguel then what's the point? Weather?

Someone once told me there are 3 types of expats:
The wanted (criminals)
The unwanted (misfits and disaffected)
The hermits

Which are you?

Well, none of the above. I've just lived in the US my entire life & have only been one state down as the extent of my travel. I figured I'm young still & have the money, why not relocate somewhere to experience it?

80k can get you a good house In Guadalajara, or a somewhat nice apartment in Benito Juarez if it's in pre-sale
You could get a job very easily at a private university such as Tec, Ibero, Anahuac or search for one at whatever field you're in (Mexicans companies are always hiring, even if they say so the opposite).
Best places would be Queretaro, Mexico city, Guadalajara, Puebla, Guanajuato, Merida.
A lot of unis give their environmental science courses in Peninsulas or in Baja, but tbqh that's be like winning the lottery.

Stay out of the mountains during harvest season, and learn to mind your own business.

That way you won't get deverted.

yeah this, also don't do drugs... please

You don't have a choice, paco

>homophobic

Is that supposed to be bad?

When is harvest season?

Yeah, don't worry. I don't do drugs even in America & definitely wouldn't down there. I'm not really afraid of the crime or anything, since the few Mexican natives I've spoken to about it told me that the cartels don't bother just a random dude on the street that has done no business with them.

>why not relocate somewhere to experience it?
Why not just visit it first.

Well yeah, of course. I wouldn't just up & move somewhere without even seeing it in person.

Ahora.

Oct-Dec

Mexico City has something like 500k Americans who are certainly not isolated and you can make a pretty comfy middle class life in a place that has good night life, cultural scene, etc, It's all about moving to the right place, I'd recommend something around Coyoacán, Narvarte, Napoles, Del Valle, Condesa or Roma, although you may want to move to Polanco, lomas or the posh side of Chapultepec if you want something upscale. Santa Fé is another posibility if you want to live in an American style high rise well developed area but it kinda leaves you isolated from actual Mexico City.

Yes you nincompoop

You should come first and try it out
airbnb.com /rooms/14185038?checkin=03%2F01%2F2017&checkout=04%2F01%2F2017&guests=1&s=8lFH9tiR

how would a Brit be treated in this land known as Mexico?

Before you speak most people will treat you as an amiercan
But very well

Mexico is either very nice and really expensive or dirt poor and sucks shit. Basically USA on steroids.

can Mexicans even tell the difference in accent?

If you're driving down be aware that your auto insurance is not valid in Mexico. Fortunately you can buy insurance at the border or before from companies like Sanborns. As a gringo do not drive in Mexico without insurance. If you are involved in an accident you will be arrested and help until it is sorted out or you post financial bond. Insurance provides this.

Also note that if you're going beyond Baja or the 50 mile border region you must get a TVIP and post a bond or cash or credit card $400 until you leave. A tourist visa is typically good for 180 days if you request it. Then you must leave before re-entering. If you fail this you will forfeit your TVIP, be deported, and may lose your privilege of re-entering for a while. (a year?)

It's been a while for me, but this is what I remember.

*held until sorted

I haven't heard of any tourist being threaded rudely in Mexico (except those who try to score some drugs cause they end up dead)
They'll ask you to say some words in Spanish, take you to their favorite Taqueria and give you spicy food just for the bantz.
One of the first things they say is something like: "you're welcome in your house" meaning that their house is your house now, is kinda confusing but is a kind hearthed gesture we automatically give to a person that is nice to us

Yes, we can, and it's different if you go to Mexico City where there's plenty of Euros and most people can tell the difference. I don't know what that guy meant but he most live deep in some neck of the woods if most people around him can't tell a Brit apart from an american

I said before he speaks, everyone can tell apart that accent

How is Guadalajara in particular?

I hear there are lots of asian girls there?! Is it true?

I have a fetish for spanish speaking asians...

I don't know about Asians but Guadalajara is "special" they're a bit like big cities in Texas where despite the population size they refuse to drop cowboy culture.

East Asians are not really common in Mexico but they're not exactly rare either as long as you're sticking to middle class urban areas, like say growing up in Mexico City there was always the one Asian kid in most classrooms I was ever in, still you might go out for a full month of clubbing and not see a single available Asian girl or you might come upon full groups of them every now and then, it varies a lot.

>is Mexico worth....
The answer will always be no.

If you go to Guadalajara, try these tacos.

Forgot to add, do keep in mind there's a lot of Asian looking people in Mexico.