German genders

What is wrong with the german language? You fuckers have more genders than a group of SJWs at college

How am I supposed to remember that an egg is neuter and fish is male and wine and feminine but cheese is masculine? For EVERY noun.

Can I just use the neuter form for conversation or will it make me sound retarded?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.de/Momo-Michael-Ende/dp/0140317538
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

better don't try to learn chinese, it will make your head explode

You just have to remember them one by one. Yeah it'll make you sound retarded but you'll still be understood.

I'm looked several times but there aren't even tricks like other languages use like fem words ending with A and masc words ending with O. It's just trial and error.

Yes of course there are tricks that work like 80% of the time, which isn't nearly enough to be considered useful. I don't even know most since I grew up here and for some strange reason it's natural to me. I guess reading helps.

Oh wait there is one exception, diminiutives are always neuter.
E.g. Das Häuschen, das Männchen, das Fräulein, das Mädchen etc.

chinese grammar is peazy, there isn't even conjugations

I picked up a copy of Faust the other day that is german on one page and english on the next so try and help learn the language. Hopefully reading does indeed help with it.

You'll get used to them, everybody does and everybody will.
I used to say cutted every time I wanted to use the past participle word for cut, I got corrected 100 times and I suddenly stopped doing that at the 101 try

What about Schwanzchen, is it das Schwanzchen? Or das Schwaenzchen? As in "Mein Chinesisch Freund hat ein kleines Schwanzchen"?

>copy of Faust
Faust is nice, but don't you think antiquated German is a bit much? I mean I'm sure you could do it, but honestly, if you worry that much about genders something simpler and more up to date might be better.
Do you know Momo?
amazon.de/Momo-Michael-Ende/dp/0140317538
(I'm really not trying to insult you but Faust is really tough)

Yepp, you got it! (except for "chinesischer" instead of "Chinesisch" since Friend is male)

yea this is obviously retarded
a table is clearly neuter, a mug masculine and a book feminine
also girls are feminine

learn a real language OP

When you learn a new noun, just learn it with its article.

I didn't even think about the time period. It was on a table at an outside market and it felt like someone that could be useful.

The language changed quite a bit since the 19th century, so I'm not sure how useful it will be. And I know I mentioned it before but it's really tough.

How do you pronounce that cross 'o' and 'ó'? We only have 'ö' and 'o'.

There are rules, example: -keit or -heit are always feminine.

But yes, sometimes you just have to guess the gender, and you only have a 1 in 3 chance of getting it right. This compounded with the fact that the article changed based on its case makes things difficult.

Nobody will correct you because you'll be understood, but hey, perfection isn't the goal; communication is.

t. Ausländer

it's retarded but better get used to it since it's common practice in quite a few languages
it's a mistake to learn the noun without the prefix. just consider it part of the word (which it effectively is in most cases) and be done with it.
>Can I just use the neuter form for conversation or will it make me sound retarded?
you can and there will be few if any ambiguities but unfortunately you will sound quite retarded indeed.
it's kinda sad seeing as you might have the grammar down and everything but that's how it is.
Not a bad choice; most of us have to read that in school. Well worth it.
it's retarded but better get used to it since it's common practice in quite a few languages
it's a mistake to learn the noun without the prefix. just consider it part of the word (which it effectively is in most cases) and be done with it.
>Can I just use the neuter form for conversation or will it make me sound retarded?
you can and there will be few if any ambiguities but unfortunately you will sound quite retarded indeed.
it's kinda sad seeing as you might have the grammar down and everything but that's how it is.
Not a bad choice; most of us have to read that in school. Well worth it.
Just be aware that some of that is a kind of a "Shakespearean" German that might not have a lot of practicality to it. Which is why I like to recommend Kafka for a good balance of learning and entertainment.
it's not that tough desu, you could do a lot worse
but for a beginner I guess it'll be a handful
if you manage to stick with it that's the kind of thing that really gets you to learn, though

the cross o is in danish, faroese and norwegian, not Icelandic or Swedish
Icelandic chose the Swedish 'ö' to be different from Danish

anyway o is like in English 'for', ó like in English 'coal' and ö similar to German except brighter similar to English 'fur'

you are american. Most people in Germany will be astonished to actually learn our language before throwing a tantrum

wew, nice post formatting there, me

woopsie it's late here
>people in Germany will be astonished you tried to actually learn
fixed

You should read easier stuff. I heard that Harry Potter is good book when you want to learn languages.

why is german so retarded and portuguese such a perfect language?

>but for a beginner I guess it'll be a handful
O glücklich, wer noch hoffen kann,
Aus diesem Meer des Irrtums aufzutauchen!
Was man nicht weiß, das eben brauchte man, Und was man weiß, kann man nicht brauchen.

Germanic languages > Romance languages
fact

>How am I supposed to remember
You aren't.
This is how we can tell who is a native and who isn't. You will always stick out as an outsider. I'm sorry (not really).

I will give you one piece of advice though. Look up the international phonetic alphabet. It can really help you out with pronunciation, if nothing else. I tried to teach my foreign girlfriend how to pronounce "Ich" but she always mispronounced it as "isch", until I looked up the sound in the IPA and looked up example words in English. Then I told her the "ch" in "Ich" is pronounced like the "h" in "huge" and "humongous". Can really help you out to have a look at that.

>foreign girlfriend
Where is she from?
Is she cute?
Post her feet!

is she french?

Ein echter deutscher Mann mag keinen Franzen leiden,
Doch ihre Weine trinkt er gern.

Goethe

ist doch ein ganz nettes Zitat
at least it's not Faust II
still don't know what the hell that was about. some mythology shit I was ill-equipped for, and I thought I knew a bit.
great attitude there m8

genders in itself are a good idea for a language, but "girl" being neuter and "Sie" having like 10 different usages is downright retarded.

jaja, das 19. Jahrhundert. Als Österreicher noch deutsche waren und deutsch sein bedeutete deutsch zu sprechen und Franzosen zu hassen.
Wer sagt denn noch "isch"? Mir fallen da nur türkische Männer ein

I just googled quotes desu. without any context it's impossible to determine what that shit is about anyway. I just hope the Burger gets something simpler for starters.

Anglos könnens aber auch nich richtig, also das ch als Zischlaut.

The problem is that the german word for girl 'Mädchen' has no plural. That's why singular is 'das' Mädchen und plural is 'die' Mädchen. 'Sie' only has three usages it's either for plurals, for feminin words or as a more formal version of 'you' (French has the same).

>it's either for plurals, for feminin words or as a more formal version of 'you' (French has the same).
see, that's what i'm talking about.
if it's a word i'm not really familiar with, I can try to guess which article i'm going to use, but if it's "Sie" it can be anything.
using a different article for each case makes way more sense.

isn't it because the suffix -chen requires neuter?
I always thought Mädchen is the diminutive of a long forgotten word.
like der Hund becomes das Hündchen

There is no rhyme nor reaon in languages that shit just happens sorry

lies.

他她它

all are read as "Ta"

their usage is clearly defined and not as random shit as in german.

what are the 10 different usages of Sie? I can only imagine 2 and both are without articles

Genders are linked to phonaesthetics (euphony) or ancient habits. It helps from French to German, when I'm not butchering it on purpose. If it sounds nice, it's probably the right choice.
Warhum zo fiele aß ?

>one reading per character
cute
行(i)く
行(yu)く
行(gyou)政
行(kou)動
行(okona)う
Chinese learners have it easy

Oh wait you're actually defending that shit right?

kek.

Japanisch ist ein richtiges Schwarmgeficke.

because of Napoleon mainly and all the times France fucked with the German states because France tried to be the hegemonial power of Europe. And stealing the Alsace of course

Wenn ich kein Furigana hab und einen Manga lese weiss ich bei 10% der Wörter nicht wie ich sie aussprechen soll ;_;

That shit is worth adopting, though.

他 = for everything male (so, only humans)
她 = for everything female (again only humans)
它 = for everything not identified as humans and without the possibility to actually have a gender

Everything sounds the same when spoken, so no problems here.

Much better than our arbitrary shit here.

I would also vote to include one certain Chinese word in our vocab:

麻烦

It pretty much describes the feeling so complicated.

Mädel? Although that's also "das"
>only has three usages it's either for plurals, for feminin words or as a more formal version of 'you'
1. Nominative Personal pronoun: Sie hat gegessen (male: Er hat gegessen)
2. Accusative (?) personal pronoun: Ich habe sie gern. (male: ich habe ihn gern)
3. Another personal pronoun: Sie essen (several people)
4. Another personal pronoun: Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren, ich bitte Sie..... (formal you)

That's at least four. So you're wrong. There might be more cases but I'm too lazy to think more about it

It's nice that the left radical for everything male is human 人, while the one for female is just 女

It's great that SJW usually don't bother learning anything....
Btw does 姦 have the same combinations in Chinese.... like sodomy, rape, noisy...

>姦

Yes.

Females are fault at everything.

Ancient Chinese agreed.

Everything bad has the 女 radical.

Except "Good" 好 - but only because The Woman is bount to a child (子).

it is: Magd
that guy is a faggot and not exactly making it easier for people by leveraging dumbass claims
weil du es gar nicht erst sollst!
>dGw ich für Japanisch ewig brauche
macht aber trotzdem viel mehr (oder überhaupt mal) Spaß auf eigene Faust

Yeah these guys knew it
Good luck with your studies m8, I'm off to bed!

a bit different, it is a part of rape but by itself as an adjective it means mischievous false crafty

Yeah, uni tomorrow as well. gl to you too.

>3 genders
>a lot

Tonnes of languages have 3 genders

iirc 他 was the only character until the 20th century

the other two characters were introduced because of western influence

>west has imported gender shit and sjw to china

why am I not surprised?

*exported

>How am I supposed to remember that an egg is neuter and fish is male and wine and feminine but cheese is masculine?
WTF I agree with you burgerbro, Germs are fucking crazy
Fish is obviously female.

not sjw, they dropped a lot of pronouns that are used for other things like 其
modernization means compartmentalization

vocaroo for me please

Memorizing the article together with the word just doesn't work for me! I may still remember the words but their articles just fade from memory. Because there is nothing "to associate" it with. Too generic.

dis guy just call me a fucking bitch?
huh, I see
maybe try to remember an example sentence or rhyme or - god forbid - some personification of the thing in question?
I know these are just crutches but a lot of things unfortunately cannot be "made sense of" in language.
as anywhere there are regularities, though, so maybe look into those as a fallback.

English is the only indo-european language without genders. The weird ones are you.

>Der Die Das Die
>Den Die Das Die
>Dem Der Dem Den
>Des Der Des Der

At some point when you're describing things it turns into a fucking math problem. Autistic krauts and their conjugations

persian?

afrikans
bengali
konkani

Most foreigners just stick too much to grammar. You don't usually need all these versions, normally you use easier variants.

I understand genetiv is on the decline.

Is "je......desto" still commonly used as much? It's a pain in the ass to write out sometimes.

This. I had the same problem with French. Overthinking it. No native speaker thinks in terms of these stupid grammar tables.

Try Polish man, I have a friend from Poland and he was telling me that there were 5 or so genders (and sorry if I fuck this up) which iirc were something like male, female, group predominately female, group predominately male, etc

Yes it's used but it's exactly used in the same context as 'the more ... the more ...'
Exactly. You have to communicate with natives speakers and learn unknown words and the rest comes by itself.

I also get confused about deren dessen dennen sometimes.

For example,

Der Koch spielt mit den Eiern. Die Eier mit denen er spielt sind nicht seine.

Is this correct usage?

Yes correct

The problem with deren and so on signifies that it belongs to that direct object, so the second sentence doesn't really make sense (I'm probably off though).

It's pretty much "whose".

I think in that context it would be better to say "Die Eier, mit den spielt der Koch, gehöhren ihm nicht"

Probably butchered it though since I haven't practiced for a while.

nevermind disregard

Time to pull out the dusty workbook

>Der Koch spielt mit den Eiern. Die Eier mit denen er spielt sind nicht seine.
Trump spielt lieber mit Muschis. Die Muschis mit denen er spielt sind keine Katzen

The only european indo-european language. Missed a word.

Love these meme maps that imply samis are dominant in the north of Scandinavia and Finland. They're barely a dent in the total population up there desu

>Most foreigners just stick too much to grammar. You don't usually need all these versions, normally you use easier variants.
t. 16 year old who speaks like this "ey alda lass ma mäckes gehn"

Every native German is able to use all those pronouns and articles perfectly. If you hear someone misuse them, you are talking to a low-iq retard who graduated from Hauptschule and thinks he's cool

What about denen with gefallen. Can I say
Alle Amerikanische Presidenten denen die Muschis gefallen sind nicht cucks.

or an Austrian :D

Cuck=hanhrei(cockdeer)

Wenn du genauso deutsch sprichst wie es in wissenschaftlichen Texten steht musst du ziemlich autistisch sein uezs

>What about denen with gefallen
what? lol
I was trying to point out that your example had quite a lot sexual innuendo. Don't know if you were aware of it

Technically correct but usually you say 'alle amerikanische Präsidenten die Muschis mögen sind keine cucks'.

Ich schwöre zu Gott, wenn du das noch einmal zu mir sagst (nicht online), dann beende ich dein Leben Fickgesicht.

Of course it was. I just moved on to a different question.

dann gib mal adresse für ein bisschen face to face action

Bahnhofstrasse 1 Berlin