What are some bands like dirty projectors...

what are some bands like dirty projectors? i need something pop-y that's highly melodic while still including some experimentation from a compositional standpoint. other stuff i like: of montreal, battles, sufjan stevens, dan deacon, and jimmy eat world (but basically just clarity, although that album's amazing). i don't go on Sup Forums much so sorry if we aren't supposed to make these posts

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yq3i_r73org
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/secos_and_molhados/secos_and_molhados_f1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Animal Collective

i didn't include that band for a reason but do you have anything else?

this
they do what those bands do 10 times better
I think sung tongs or strawberry jam would be good starting points

grizzly bear, vampire weekend, anco. just look at pitchfork's best of lists circa 2006 - 2009.

Jim O'Rourke, Kate Bush, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, Mercury Rev, Sparks, Kahondo Style

First two Mercury Rev albums
The Flaming Lips (90's output is more noisy)
Have you listened to the beach boys - SMiLE?

Jane Siberry, Xiu Xiu, Arthur Russell

Prefab Sprout, Van Dyke Parks, the Microphones

how do they do anything that dirty projectors, battles, or sufjan stevens do. i could see some comparisons to dan deacon (who's way more glitch-y anyway), but not any of the others. DP and battles are way more guitar driven and sufjan stevens has way more complex arrangements

i don't like those three bands but are any of the other ones on that list you mentioned good?

i like kate bush and jim orourke already, not a huge fan of mercury rev but i'll check out the others, thx

yeah smile's great but it's really stuck in the past and i like the more recent sounds that all those bands i mentioned have, there's enough smile/pet sounds worshiping bands out there to listen to in E6 alone. i don't like the flaming lips much and i'm def not a fan of mercury rev

xiu xiu are good i'll check out the rest thx

Deakin's solo album is the most Dirty Projectors thing I've heard in a while

Also try Electric Balloon by Ava Luna

>dirty projectors
anco are better at sampling
>battles
anco's noise is more original and fun
>sufjan stevens
anco are better than sufjan at everything, and im sufjan´s biggest fan
if your way of thinking about popular music is " "more complex = better" you should try classical

hey i love the glow pt.2 and mount eerie, should i check out their other stuff

this album sounds really good from the short bit i heard of it

those are all opinions fampai. i just really love the less synth driven sound of dirty projectors plus the crazy guitar. battles aren't a noise band anyway and are again have a way more precise way of playing music than anco. and the last point doesn't even make any real argument. i asked for recs not someone trying to push their own favorite bands on me okay?

>Vampire weekend

Nothing close to dp. The fuck?

>Grizzly bear
Radiohead lite. Nothing close to dp

Bitte Orca is pretty unique but I think you'd really like Half Way to a Threeway by Jim O'Rourke, YHF by Wilco and for some reason I think you could get into Big Star; not a lot of odd time signatures but the guitar tones kinda remind me of the ones on DP's more rock oriented tracks.
Also, maybe you could dig the Berlin trilogy by David Bowie

Deerhoof! holy shit deerhoof

youtube.com/watch?v=Yq3i_r73org

Op don't waste your time. Alot of bands at the time were doing this type of thing, anco and projectors were among the most popular and also the best. I suggest just looking for stuff of this ilk outside the "Indie" realm, as you've already heard pretty much the best of it.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/secos_and_molhados/secos_and_molhados_f1/

Not really experimental, but pleasant pop that throws a few curveballs every now and then, much like dp

yeah i already like eureka and halfway to a threeway and also wilco. i like low, heroes, and station to station lots

that was pretty good, beginning definitely reminded me of DP, vocalist kinda reminds me of melt-banana too. what album should i listen to by them?

i want contemporary stuff because production techniques from even the 90s don't hold up that well in some cases and especially the 70s and 60s. i mean i like a lot of stuff in this thread that might be not in the top percentage of pretentious indie pop but i still enjoyed it

yeah all the major albums are worth a listen and some of the other stuff and Mount Eerie projects are cool too.

check out Apple O
also you might like Fiery Furnaces

>that was pretty good, beginning definitely reminded me of DP, vocalist kinda reminds me of melt-banana too. what album should i listen to by them?

Friend Opportunity is my favorite, but Milk Man or Apple O are also pretty representative. They're pretty consistently good but tend to vary in style between albums a bit. Their recent stuff (The Magic) is good too.

Sleater-Kinney
They make poppy guitar oriented alternative rock music that sounds difficult yet accesible and charming. Just like Dirty Projectors! You should start with "The Woods"

Well you've got deerhoof , fiery furnace and that's pretty much it. The other stuff like yeasayer tier is horribly unrewarding to dive into. I regret looking through it