What's so good about Jimi Hendrix?

What's so good about Jimi Hendrix?
I think he's overrated as hell as i can name lots of other guitarists from 60-70's that clearly could kick Hendrix's ass.
I think the very reason he's this overrated is fact that he was black and belongs to 27 club.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rO5WF_0OnFI
youtube.com/watch?v=LdMguQKxsL8
youtube.com/watch?v=LklFP1IG9KY
youtube.com/watch?v=YwHrx0r0t2s
youtube.com/watch?v=qY53nsjLMkc
youtube.com/watch?v=tyuqWFqyJ0E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>overrated
Fuck off. Most of the time, when people say something is "overrated", they really mean "I don't like it, therefore it's overrated"

If anything, the word "overrated" is overrated.

Hendrix wouldn't be so revered if he didn't make great songs. People act like they're subservient to his virtuosity, but they're not.

Great songs is one half, creating a whole new guitar aesthetic and spearheading a new sonic direction for rock; that too...

wow this rly made me think

I try to like him and see virtuosity in his discography but i just can't appreciate his guitar work and seems barely ever stunning when i have listened to Jimmy Page's, Ritchie Blackmore's, Johnny Thunders', Brian May's, David Gilmour's solos.

his myth fits in general narrative of mainstream music media

it's in the overall context that you realize Hendrix is god

he revolutionized the way we view guitar and pushed the boundaries of that instrument to levels that had previously never been seen

of course there are going to be better musicians now, but Jimi was the first to really bring that sound to the picture

you don't get it, its not virtuosity, its attitude and master of scales and rhythm, and his ability to create sound effects before complicated effects. Songwritings too, and the fact that noone sounded like that before him, noone.

>master of scales
>muh blues pentatoinc

true

any older guys here?
i've seen it mentioned in a couple times before that it wasn't conidered "hip" to like Hendrix until probably like the 2000's... not that he didn't have fans but i guess like saying you really like linkin park park here is really lame

I mean he had a superior command of the guitar fret-board than most people more technically sound than him.

>he revolutionized the way we view guitar
and how exactly did people view the guitar before him? all big magazines talk about him being revolutionary but never go into exact details. feedback? oh, noone gives a shit about feedback nowadays. fuzz? noone cares about fuzz either. wah-wah? yes perhaps. stage presence? man, he was a younger contemporary of the who and rolling stones, for god's sake. he maybe burned guitars, but the who literally used fucking explosives.

this

wtf i hate jimi hendrix now

>i can name lots of other guitarists from 60-70's that clearly could kick Hendrix's ass

Well.....do it then

Anyone who thinks he's overrated: try and get a hold of this, it's incredible. His improvising is some of the most creative/original shit you will ever hear, it'll make you see why he's your favorite guitarist's favorite guitarist.

Johnny Thunders, Robert Quine, Richard Lloyd, Johnny Ramone, Keith Richards...

youtube.com/watch?v=rO5WF_0OnFI
check out, dude;
it's only 1 minute.
pretty sure you haven't ever heard about him.

he was by far the most innovative guitarist, god of strat. and underrated as hell.

youtube.com/watch?v=LdMguQKxsL8
Oh my god mcfuckin kill yourselves
if this version of voodoo child doesn't rock your fucking socks off your a deaf tweenster

oh the irony

I think he is great, for a few reasons. I think his phrasing in solos is insane. It really gives character to soloing. Also, he has a unique style in the sense that nobody can sound like Hendrix because of his easily overlooked nuances while playing; he always makes a phrase sound a particular way with his picking style, its very evident he has a jazz background. Also, insane improviser; he never plays a song the same, but it doesnt ever take away from the quality, just different phrasing for a different inflection. Honestly though, just looking at him play says something I think. This might sound autistic, but I remember in a documentary that said its like he used the guitar as an extension of his soul, and I think that's the best way Ive heard it summed up. If you play guitar, you know your tendencies when you really start feeling what you're playing, and when he plays, you can just tell that hes completely into it. Hard to explain.

that sounds retarded. hendrix trumps all guitarists

>Johnny Ramone
Really dude? I love The Ramones, they are amazing songwriters, but the dude just played full or power chords. Nothing special at all.

instead of properly answering a single question, you bursted into an inane slushy diatribe

Hey op,

Listen to a good hq live version of machine gun. You start to see what he is really capable of. Such a shame he passed away, he would have produced some pretty far out stuff later down the track.

Listen to Electric Ladyland that shit is tight

>He's never done LSD before

If the people you listen to was influenced by it, don't question it, just respect it. You weren't there for it, they were.

This

The word overrated is absolutely retarded. There are very few artists that can be labeled as overrated those are mainly people who are mainstream. A great example is eminem of being overrated. Saying that Hendrix is overrated is retarded he invented a playing style and is one of the greatest imo the greatest guitarist of all time with 2 classic albums.

>Calls Hendrix shit
>Names as better guitarists Keith Richards
>Johnny Thunders
>Robert Quine
>Johnny Ramone
>JOHNNY FUCKING RAMONE

>No one cares about feedback and fuzz
>Shoegaze and modern black metal are both entirely predicated on feedback and fuzz, not to mention every single psych/garage/alternative rock band since the 80's.

This has to be the weakest collection of bait I've ever seen on Sup Forums

Literally only indie rock kiddies who haven't the mental capacity to get into noise music or the connections to delve into more obscure fringes of punk rock like shoegaze.

Kindly fuck off m8

He's a very good player and obviously influential but I never got the messianic belief that he's the ultimate god of guitar. It always seemed like people just wanted to have a central figure to always be able to circlejerk to.

Non argumente

Before Hendrix, there was Rockabilly.

He turned this
youtube.com/watch?v=LklFP1IG9KY

youtube.com/watch?v=YwHrx0r0t2s

Into this
youtube.com/watch?v=qY53nsjLMkc

His sound was his own, man. He's a pioneer, man. Influential

If you dislike Jimi Hendrix, You dislike music.

I thought this board is 18+

Anyone who can listen to Hendrix playing Rock Me Baby at Monterey Pop while on three hits of powerful acid and still ripping it the fuck apart and still say he's overrated is a fucking dullard in my book.

There's a difference between not to your taste and overrated. Kurt Cobain is overrated not just because he killed himself, but because he's seen as the face of a movement that took multiple artists to start. Nobody played Jimi Hendrix or anyone else in The Experience when they hit the music scene, which is why they're so revolutionary. He also is incredibly technically talented, very possibly the greatest guitarist of all time.

>Nobody played Jimi Hendrix or anyone else in The Experience when they hit the music scene
That's an outright lie. They may not have played exactly like him but Hendrix was not the sole arbiter of psychedelic rock.

I should rephrase that. He was certainly the best thing from his scene, and one of the only ones still remembered by many people.

the big movement that is happening during Hendrix' heyday is the electric guitar becoming both the most important melody and solo instrument of rock while still remaining to be used as a chord instrument for providing harmony

important part of this versatility was the rise of effects like distortion that after the introduction of the transistor could be made into stompboxes in the 1960's

I think this transformation is more obvious if you look at jazz and rock together - electric guitars basically replace the saxophone as the lead instrument with the biggest possibilities in terms of sound palette

what Hendrix brought to the table was the versatility of his playing where he basically provided both the harmony and lead parts as one guitarist switching fluidly between different roles - check out the intro of Little Wing for a good example

You mean this? youtube.com/watch?v=tyuqWFqyJ0E

it's shit, most of the time hendrix delivers but I found this to be a bit boring to be honest

>Really dude? I love The Ramones, they are but the dude just played full or power chords.
that's what makes him special.

>What's so good about Jimi Hendrix?
his music
>i can name lots of other guitarists
but what about their music?

>but what about their music?
Fag, their music is the reason i call them better guitarists than Jimi, you little assplug redditor.

Go on then, on what merits are their musical compositions so superior to Hendrix despite him pioneering and fleshing out an entirely new sound and approach to playing guitar?

>johnny Ramone is better than hendrix