How did they think this was good enough to release? Did they just not listen to it?

How did they think this was good enough to release? Did they just not listen to it?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/thewanderingwolf/episode-66-dave-portner-avey-tare-animal-collective)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I really don't understand how anyone could truly hate this album. Like, I agree that some of the songs are kinda boring (Bagels in Kiev, Spilling Guts, Recycling), there are still quite a few quality AC songs on here (Vertical, On Delay, Golden Gal). Plus the album's fucking fun as shit even if it does overuse that one flanged bass sound on every fucking track.

Idk, it's like a "C" album in my book. I saw them live twice on the tour and the extended versions of all the tracks sounded pretty good especially Summing The Wretch

How did you think this was good enough to post? Did you not read it?

Seriously though I'd love to talk about this album with you but I know you don't want to hear anything that isnt "fanboy and chum chum le fart noise"

Because there's nothing to love about it, it's the most forgettable AnCo project yet, even centipede htz had its moments

This album is literally fanboy chum chum tier pop music what the fuck are you talking about??

I'm a huge anco fan so my opinion on the album is certainly biased at least a bit, and although I don't think it's their strongest release, Painting With is another unique gem in AnCo's discography. The angular and robotic feeling of the albums sound clearly takes influence from cubism which is really cool imo.

Seeing them on tour really put this album into perspective for me though and I think the extended versions of the tracks made the ideas behind them more developed. Summing the wretch went from one of my least favorite tracks to one of my favorite when I heard it live.

The album is fun, compact, bouncy, and still densely detailed like every other anco release.

This sucks shit

Is it just me there a 20-32 age window for talent and after that they start forgetting

The synths/bass synths on this album are legitimately off putting, especially with how high they're mixed. Dismiss this as "le fart noise" if you want to, but this album is just not pleasing to listen to at all, even if the songwriting isn't bad.

It's exactly what they wanted to make though.

Painting With is a lot better than CHz. They had no fucking clue what they were doing on that album, Avey has pretty much come out and said that. With Painting With they had a unifying concept and sound, they were all working on it together in the studio - the album is just a more intensive effort, and it shows.

Oh no I totally get it. The album has a very very cohesive feel to it, which works in favor of it and against it simultaneously. A lot of the sounds are reused and have the potential to get annoying as a result

I actually think the messy jumble of ideas and direction works in tandem with CHz's messy and chaotic sound. That being said if the album was more polished and the instrumentals had more progression CHz could be god-tier

yeah bro I done like this album but I've seen them thrice, and the last one was this year. I went with very low expectations but they sounded pretty good imo. Avery Tare screams are a bit annoying

People like to pick and choose what's annoying and what's not based on reviews. No one thinks the watery guitars that are used all over feels are annoying. No one thinks the constant beach boys harmonies on sung tongs and merriweather are annoying. But pitchfork said hocketing and the production tendencies on this album are so ITS THEIR WORST YET THEYRE DONE FOR

Exactly. There are so many parts of every Animal Collective album that I've been annoyed by at one point or another, and Painting With is no different. Animal Collective just makes potentially annoying music and they always have. It isn't a problem only in Painting With

Plus PW is so creative I don't believe at all that they aren't going to keep exploring new and interesting sounds

Yeah, I guess it really does come down to personal preference at the end of the day. They're both flawed albums, but they pursue totally different sounds so it's understandable that anyone could prefer one over the other. I just think PW works a lot better as one of Anco's pop works than CHz does as one of their noisy albums (Here Comes the Indian is my favorite album of theirs),

No one said that about those things because they're actually pleasing to the ear

Everything after MPP was bad

there was magic in the music and then it was gone, probably drug burnout

sorry dude, forgot all music had to cater to your totally subjective view of what is and isn't "pleasing to the ear"

If you saw them on this tour then you wouldn't believe that the magic is gone from their music.

PW in its recorded form loses a lot of the humanity that made it so beautiful live, and CHz was too chaotic for it's own good, yeah, but I don't feel a lull in creative energy from either work

Yeah, real shame that I should expect to enjoy music when I listen to it. Darn.

i saw them in 2008 and 2009, maybe you got a blowjob the night you saw them and you have a positive association but this album sucks ass

>Everything after MPP was bad
but Fall be kind is one of the best things they have done

Im incredibly jealous you got to see them during that time- that 2008 area in time looked incredible based on recordings I've found on YouTube and shit.

The only positive thing that happened to me that night is I got to see my favorite band work their magic right before my eyes (and ears I guess).

The 2009 show which I remember because it was like 50 people and I was right in front of panda bear was weird af because it was unplugged level quiet yet they were blasting these crazy fast strobes like they were trying to find who was epileptic

Oh jeez that sounds really goofy. Do you remember if any songs in particular stood out to you? Was it even a good show otherwise?

You're missing out on a wealth of fantastic music if your mindset is really that all music should sound "pleasing". I'd recommend exploring some heavier genres and try to find noise you find cathartic. Seriously, you might surprise yourself.

also avey tare stared at me for before the show for like a whole 2 minutes smiling, i think he was trying to freak me out

no one will believe me tho

Oh...my god, you guys. I just had this epiphany. Get this: experiencing the sounds that make up music is a subjective experience, and what one person enjoys and thinks is good, another might find grating or even off-putting!

And here's the real kicker, folks: THAT'S OKAY!

:^O

it was the week before MPP was released, they just played MPP then finished with fireworks then did daffy duck for the encore which was the best part

im a long time fan of theirs and this is in my top 5 of their albums
summing the wretch is the best track btw

I can listen to and enjoy noisy or "heavier" music for it's dissonance, the difference here is that Painting With is a pop album and is meant to be approached as such. The hocketing destroys any sense of melody on the album.

You're right, but you seem to be implying that discussing music on a music discussion board is somehow not what we should be doing? If we all just accepted everyone's tastes as being different, and used that as an excuse not to talk about divisive records, why would this board even exist?

its definitely in my top 12

>summing the wretch is the best track
THANK YOU

>The hocketing destroys any sense of melody on the album.

What? It enhances it for me. Lying in the Grass, Vertical and FloriDaDa are beyond jams.

Summing the Wretch is awesome
>hocketing destroys any sense of melody on the album
not true btw

I'm not the guy you're replying to but I don't think PW in particular should be approached as a pop album, because you're right- there isn't a strong sense of melody in a lot of the songs and the hocketing is a big reason for that.

It's MEANT to sound blocky (some might say 'cubic') and bouncy. That's what they were going for, not some beach boys influenced psych pop. I've always thought of PW as more of a psych dance album than anything else

Of course, I'm being intentionally facetious. My point is that saying an album is bad just because you found the sound annoying isn't valuable discussion of the music itself. It's a subjective opinion that has about as much discussion value as a personal insult.

I didn't like it but I think it's the whole alt-right thing that ruined it for me

Yeah, this shit is honestly weird. I think it's mostly Panda. Like, the hocketing carried over from PBMTGR, and I think some of his antisemitism carried over too.

Thank god the boys are coming together and standing up against globalist scum to preserve Western society. All other bands are cucks, clearly

go outside. get some sun.

Painting With is probably their most daring and experimental release since SJ, not counting ODDSAC. I think it's poppiness is sort of deceiving. It's really very unconventional.

>Avey has pretty much come out and said that.
source pls
also agree, chz is a turd supreme

PW is almost good it's so disappointing. Floridada is a legitimitley good track and it gets forgettable past that.

Also stop this "CHZ was too chaotic bullshit." It's problem was that it just sounded like a bad MGMT impression.

who /theburglars/ here? panda's vocal melody at the end is pure genius

>that panda melody
>aveys manic spitting

I can't remember where, but there's an interview where they're asked about the sound of CHz and its critical reception, and Avey's response just says it all
>well, uh... you know, that album was just birthed from a lot of different emotions... uh... confusion.... anger...

it is literal musical orgasm perfected

would we still have magical-tier anco if Avey's wife hadn't left him?

florifloriflorifloriflorida
Flori DA DA
flori DA DA

avey MRA confirmed

Down There is incredible tho

it's p good, still on the dissapointing end of the spectrum for me tho

You're wrong

Coming from a confused place emotionally doesn't mean he thinks it's bad. I don't remember at what point, but I know that in this interview (soundcloud.com/thewanderingwolf/episode-66-dave-portner-avey-tare-animal-collective) Avey says he's proud of CHz.

>You're wrong
k den

As long as you can accept it

how

i'll soon be reaching the acceptance stage, let me just have a moment

Not saying he thinks it's bad, just saying Painting With is a far more unified, cohesive project, conceptually, sonically, lyrically, etc

This album was never bad.

There are some really good songs on there it just feels like a lot of them blend together and Avey is over produced most of the time