Rock Is Dead

You have 10 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance.

Impossible Mode: No Nirvana.

Oh wait, you can't.

R.I.P Rock

Please note:
>The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede, and Interpol are not culturally relevant, all of them are fad artists associated with a certain 3-5 year timespan with no real longevity or standing cultural relevancy. You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook the way you would a contemporary hip hop artist like Drake or Kendrick Lamar.
>Jack White is not a culturally relevant artist. Seven Nation Army may be a culturally relevant track but having only one culturally relevant track indicates a lack of longevity and thus a lack of cultural relevance as artists. See also: Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Los Del Rio (not rock artists but it's a fair analogy).
>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.
>The Flaming Lips, Sufjan Stevens, Tame Impala, The National, The Hold Steady, Dinosaur Jr, Deerhunter, Mac DeMarco, Porcupine Tree, Beach House, Ween, Titus Andronicus, Bon Iver, Pixies, Spoon, Pavement and Modest Mouse appeal to a far too niche demographic to be considered culturally relevant. This is also true for all metal.
>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years.
>LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EvuL5jyCHOw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

linkin park

cultural relevance nor commercial success matter in rock music anymore. just because it's not popular means it's bad? you sound like a little school boy.

Rock is underground now, and that's fine with me.

Stupid pasta, here's your reply

>he unironiucally cares about cultural relevancy and critical acclaim
How much of a fucking tool can you be?

Twenty one pilots are game changers

sage and onion

arcade fire. broken social scene. culturally relevant like, played on rock radio, probably not. but shit like imagine dragons and halsley, as artistically worthless and culturally relevant as they are, wouldn't exist without early 2000s montreal indie. nor would pitchfork, now get off my board for not knowing this.

Nine Inch Nails

death grips
grimes
animal collective
xiu xiu
autechre
cocteau twins
my bloody valentine
american football
bones
swans
st.vincent
deerhoof
deerhunter
deafheaven
liturgy
beyonce
the drones
avalanches
ty segall
bjork

M U S E

>my board
>doesn't know this is pasta

WHEN WILL SUMMER END?!

Coldplay; not even joking

>FOB
>not culturally relevant
But I literally hear their songs fucking everywhere I go.
I think you're just a faggot OP that just has a hate boner.

What is Radiohead if not rock?

Check mate, mother fucker

youtube.com/watch?v=EvuL5jyCHOw

OP, just want to point out that you're a fucking idiot elitist.

I'm glad that I only see people like you on the Internet.

Slipknot, whether you love or hate them.

>RHCP not critically acclaimed
Excuse me, What ?

>pearl jam
>not critically acclaimed
They're not relevant anymore though.

>Fall Out Boy

Jesus fucking christ, please tell me this is pasta

Weezer

rock music isn't underground. it's still one of the biggest and most popular genres of music in the world.

"culturally relevant" doesn't mean they're popular. that's what "popular" means.

teen angst doesn't make you "culturally relevant". you can tell slipknot and their fans like to think they're incredibly culturally relevant, like bands like marilyn manson, but there's really not as much to them as they like to think.

it is, but the comments it brings up are brilliant.

Om

No, I meant the comment that included death grips and bjork

>critically acclaimed and culturally relevant.
I'm sorry, the what now? Why should I care about those things?

Culturally Relevant and Popular are LITERALLY the same fucking thing retard.

>name a rock group to show how rock isn't dead
>but not all of these ones that prove my point wrong
Yeah go fucking kill yourself m8.

Bad company?

The Beatles

Oh shit I fell for pasta HAHA YOU GOT ME FUNNY JOKE HAHA COPY PASTE LMAO U ARE A MASTER OF COMEDY RIVALED ONLY BY THE SIMPLY EPIC JOKES OF AMY SCHUMER AND JIM GAFFIGAN!

them foo fuckers

kanye's 808s is extremely culturally relevant but at the time not very popular
>retard

insofar as critically acclaimed is synonymous with artistically viable, you ought to. also people resenting popularity on the internet makes me lel every time
>how obscutre are your memes anyways

>anime pic
Anything you say is obsolete now.

metallica is still kinda relevant i see kids in my hs were there album shirts

No, culturally relevant is when the art says something about the world it exists in. It connects with people because it has some relevancy to the world they live in. An EDM banger or a catchy rock track can be enormously popular without having any relevance or impact on the world around it.

Example: OK Computer was called "culturally relevant" because it summed up the pre-millennial angst of politics and the rise of digital technology in people's lives. 'Ace of Spades' is a fun song about gambling. It's also popular. Do you get this, or do you need a more patronising, slowed down explanation?

Jack white wasn't an era thing his solo career was as big last,year as tws were in the 90s.

Lol then why are you saying it's dead if it's one of the most popular in the world??

21pilots

A Day to Remember

please point out where i said that.

>rock is dead
>it's still one of the biggest and most popular of music in the world

>kanye
>not very popular

I bet you don't even remember when 808s came out and how hard the radio spammed Heartless.

>You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook

Beethoven and Miles Davis are not culturally relevant by this metric.

edgelings are still pushing their fingers into their EEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEES so they are still relevent among their target audience

none of my comments say that rock is dead. none of them even imply it. you've either massively mis-read one, or thought someone else's comment was mine.

I'll give you a hand. mine are

teen angst music will always be "relevant" to angsty teens. but in the real, actual world where grown-ups live, slipknot is music for angry children and little more. by your logic linkin park and a day to remember are also "relevant".

stupid bait with crazy goalpost moving, but I'll bite and say Unwound

>Rock is dead, long live to Stones

Pavement

What do I win

>Pearl Jam
>Brand New
Really now

>linkin park
>still given a shit about
most 14 y/o kids say they're more like 1 direction than any rock band

>angry children being your audience means you're a bad artist
how? so kids who just got home from putting up with 6 hours of being bullied by nigger wanna bes and told by their teachers they need to be put in special ed
> they come home, listen to music I made and feel a little bit happier for a few minutes
>that same kid cleans the garage for a month straight just so his parents let him come to see my band's show, and
>leaves feeling like they witnessed the best shit ever,
>maybe even meets me and says my music got him through hard times in his life
that's much more flattering to me than pandering to the college going versions of said nigger wanna bes with bullshit rhetoric about "life" and VICE political jargon.

how old are you? Holy shit.

>tws
>90s

yeah, black veil brides saved my life too.

well, yeah.

yes, rock is dead. obviously. as a big force at least. it's more like folk or country now (which is fine, but it's not in the role it was before)

I kinda see what you mean
Seether is unlistenable to me now, but when I met them in the 8th grade I was too nervous to talk so they were good at playing to they crowd they were for
but I couldn't agree less with the "it's better"
not everyone who is acclaimed and popular is so because they kiss ass to the p4k crowd.
I like Lou Reed's attitude better of making music that lasts with age.

>not everyone who is acclaimed and popular is so because they kiss ass to the p4k crowd

Prove it

>country
>not the new arena plebcore
under what rock do you live oh great one?

>it's actually just one autist writing this shit, and spamming it every other day while adding new "notes" to counter people mentioned in the previous thread
post yfw you realize you'll never be as autistic as this guy

people on this board are a little too quick to forget that radiohead were dismissed as music for edgy kids when they first came out

came here to say this

>hey guys, check it out, he posted it again!

pitchfork numales are the current deciders of what's "substantial" and "has meaning" (both synonymous with "pretentious" when it comes to music)
so yeah you do have to play to that crowd to get acclaim
it just invalidates the meaning of acclaim.

We literally had this exact same thread yesterday.

i'm not actually op lmao. this pasta is boring and i largely disagree with it, i just enjoyed the discussion it brought up.

welcome to Sup Forums

I'd 100% rather be the most pretentious pitchfork hipster in the world than use the term "numale" unironically.

then neck yourself

>Please Note: I'm going to rig this thread so there's no possible answers.

Well fuck you, there's Coldplay and you can't even deny that. They are the modern version of art rock and you can't deny that they are extremely popular. They're playing fucking stadiums.

Apart from old nostalgia acts like AC/DC, GN'R, Metallica etc. is there any rock band right now who could realistically do stadium tours around the world?

Coldplay. They're doing one right now. I saw them at Lincoln Financial earlier this month.

Do you have a better word for the effeminate, weakling femboys who have completely rejected the idea of masculinity?

Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters.

>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years.
This is fucking wrong though

no, but i don't see the traditional concept of masculinity being something that is either important or bound to either sex. so i guess you'd probably call me a "numale" lmao

Well I'd probably call you a faggot, but yeah sounds like you fit the definition of nu male.

are nick cave and the bad seeds a normie band?

Rage against The Machine?

>Coldplay
>rock

>Chilli Peppers
>Foo Fighters

RHCP are even older than GN'R and Metallica, they also count as a nostalgia act. FF also since they formed in 94.

I'll ask again, is there any band formed in the 2000s/2010s that could do stadium tours?

How about the black keys?

Plus, Automatic for the People came out 24 years ago

>Name me a rock band
>Just not these rock bands

Meatloaf?

Neutral Milk Hotel

>Name ONE band from the last 25 years that meets this criteria, without naming ANY of the bands that meet this criteria
>Le oh wait, you can't!!!1 Grotcha!!!!1!!

I know this is b8 but damn if it didn't work.

OP your retarded. You literally posted a picture of one of them. Green Day are critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. So are Pearl Jam. In fact, for the last 25 years, the majority of hit radio-friendly rock songs and bands are copying either Green Day or Pearl Jam's sound in some way. Green Day even had a successful second half of their career with American Idiot, which was also culturally and critically important.

Also, no Nirvana? Why? Because they're the easiest example as to why your question is dumb? I say "yes, Nirvana" and there goes your argument completely.

And Radiohead isn't rock? Your just saying that because they're probably the best example out of all of them. A long career of nothing but critical and culture importance.

Your answers: Green Day, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Radiohead.

Just because it isn't as big as Pop or Rap anymore doesn't mean shit. Fads change with time, rock will probably be everywhere again eventually, then fade again, and return again, etc.

i win

>>>>>>YOU'RE

your a dorable

My bad. I'll edit it later.

Oxbow

you sound insecure

>claiming cultural relevancy is a requisite for a genre to be "alive"

Lmao nah bruh. So long as there is a large enough amount of people making it it isn't dead

que ondaa

Thriller don't have any great message behind it but still is culturally relevant

MUSE

>Tool

OP your retarded. You literally posted a picture of one of them. Green Day are critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. So are Pearl Jam. In fact, for the last 25 years, the majority of hit radio-friendly rock songs and bands are copying either Green Day or Pearl Jam's sound in some way. Green Day even had a successful second half of their career with American Idiot, which was also culturally and critically important.

Also, no Nirvana? Why? Because they're the easiest example as to why your question is dumb? I say "yes, Nirvana" and there goes your argument completely.

And Radiohead isn't rock? Your just saying that because they're probably the best example out of all of them. A long career of nothing but critical and culture importance.

Your answers: Green Day, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Radiohead.

Just because it isn't as big as Pop or Rap anymore doesn't mean shit. Fads change with time, rock will probably be everywhere again eventually, then fade again, and return again, etc.

Is rock dead in mainstream? I honestly couldn't name popular rock band that gets radio play and shit.