/comp/ - Composition General

"The composer makes plans, music laughs." -Morton Feldman

previous thread: An experiment in a pen-and-paper composing general, made for all the theory autists

Post clyps and accompanying notation so we can accurately critique your composing from a theory perspective

THEORY

>Fux's Counterpoint
opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf

>Orchestration (Rimsky-Korsakov)
northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/77-Principles-of-Orchestration

>Teoria - Music Theory General Guides/Articles
teoria.com/index.php

>Arnold Schcoenberg's "Fundementals of Music Composition"
monoskop.org/images/d/da/Schoenberg_Arnold_Fundamentals_of_Musical_Composition_no_OCR.pdf

>Jazz harmony (from the course at Berklee)
davidvaldez.blogspot.com/2006/04/berklee-jazz-harmony-1-4.html

>Materials and Techniques of 21st Century Music, by Stefan Kostka, UT at Austin
dmu.uem.br/aulas/analise/Kostka_MaterialsTechniquesXXCenturyMusic.pdf

PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS

>Basic composing
youtube.com/watch?v=hWbH1bhQZSw

>Free Notation Software
musescore.org/

IMPROVISATION

>Fake books for jazz and blues soloing
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzW9o5O35hQzMzA0ZmI0MWEtZGFmNi00OTQ0LWI2MjMtOWUyNzgyNmUzNzNm&usp=drive_web&ddrp=1&hl=en#

STUFF /COMP/ DOES

>the /comp/ YouTube channel
youtube.com/channel/UCqUEaKts92UIstFjrz9BfcA

>the /comp/ challenge
[email protected]

>/comp/ Georgian Modes Explanation by yodAnon
dropbox.com/s/v26nd8bepv74d8s/Gregorian Modes v1.5.pdf?dl=0

>/comp/ Google Drive folder
drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0B8L6-YOBO_NIOXk1OXRsTDlWMHc

Other resources (full of lessons and books): pastebin.com/EjYVcErt

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/?_escaped_fragment_=2JNQwK5Q#!2JNQwK5Q
1drv.ms/v/s!ArFBFu40czB-nxKthwJdgxOzvJQq
dropbox.com/s/z2t9wtrsuep4kkj/Basso Continuo v1.3.pdf?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/15f0x44plsb7pxz/latent.pdf?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/8s9r65vvs5n5t5a/fantasia.mp3?dl=0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atonal_compositions
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hfdlsOa88
youtube.com/watch?v=G2E058Ep99Y
youtube.com/watch?v=XpSaZ3A5Kj8
youtube.com/watch?v=6rrkae_ok8Y
youtube.com/watch?v=GU_HIvMXSM8
youtube.com/watch?v=JFIGoB7rK70
youtube.com/watch?v=IpROC4gsZhQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>that image

fuck off

Is there something wrong with the image?

mega.nz/?_escaped_fragment_=2JNQwK5Q#!2JNQwK5Q

key please!

Original OP here!

I was gone for like three threads

Sorry about that

What streams have there been? Please check the YT channel to see what streams might be missing, and if there are any, email the video to [email protected] and I will upload it

The Drive has been updated!

Now accepting submissions for challenge 6!!! Post finished versions!!

yes triple hitler.

Here's the stream about Basso continuo and figured bass:

video: 1drv.ms/v/s!ArFBFu40czB-nxKthwJdgxOzvJQq
pdf: dropbox.com/s/z2t9wtrsuep4kkj/Basso Continuo v1.3.pdf?dl=0

My submission for the challenge:
pdf: dropbox.com/s/15f0x44plsb7pxz/latent.pdf?dl=0
mp3: dropbox.com/s/8s9r65vvs5n5t5a/fantasia.mp3?dl=0

What are all the hearable variable elements of a motif? Rhythm is one, melodic intervals another, but I need a more comprehensive list.

By "variable elements" I mean, literally, elements that you can vary. Everything about the motif that you can manipulate to create motif-variations. By "hearable" I mean that the resulting motif-variation can be heard and recognized as deriving from the original.

I'm doing some pseudo-intellectual bullshit again, this time with graphic notation. Don't worry, I'll get /sci/'s (possibly /ic/'s or /gd/'s?) help for all the non-musical things, I won't shit up /comp/ with those this time. But I need a greater understanding of motifs and motif development for this, and even the Schoenberg text in the pasta, helpful as it is, isn't cutting it.

Well a motif is just a collection of notes so in order to change the motif you would have to changes the notes duration, pitch, dynamics, or timbre (harmonic spectrum, waveform)

what does the highlight mean

oh, that's just some corrections I made after receiving feedback

>duration
right, yeah

>dynamics or timbre
huh, never gave it much thought but that is a kind of variation, isn't it. A motif played loudly on a trombone and the same motif played in quiet pizzicato, they're variations of each other. Hadn't considered this, thanks.

>pitch
this seems correct but oversimplified. Like take the famous motif of Beethoven's Fifth for example.
>G G G Eb
if you change the pitch of the second note so that it's
>G C G Eb
It's very difficult to call that a variation of the original. I mean it could be used like that if you give it the right context, but the most salient feature of the original has disappeared. Meanwhile if you vary it by changing it to
>G G G D
it's obviously based on the original motif, less so than the diatonic transposition F F F D like in the original but it's still there.

Perhaps the repetition of notes might be one of those variable elements, then? These variable elements might even differ depending on the motif.

some composers like xenakis, scelsi. i want some unknown or living composers.

for example:

harley gaber

he's really dark. scelsi+feldman? not famous. he commited suicide in 2011. RIP.

I Saw My Mother Ascending Mount Fuji

this album combines modern classical + electronic drone.

Richard Barrett

one of my favorite composers. he's similar to xenakis.

michael levinas is also good.

do you know any other? recommend me

Interesting post but my phone is dying

and so is the thread

petzold

Are there any more theoretical resources on improvisation?

I'm . Trying to create a system of graphic notation to "compose" my improvisations, which are very focused on motivic development more than anything else. What I'm going for is something I can read and follow along in improvising, so it's as though I'm improvising it again (but not as though I'm performing exactly what I improvised). Essentially what I'm going for is a fake book with motivic development rather than a harmonic progression.

What I'm having trouble with is figuring out where "structuring my improv" ends and "just plain composition" begins.

I only found out Leonard Bernstein was gay about an hour ago.
Write a rondo about that.

is it possible to make a song that's truly atonal without it sounding like shit? the closest I can think of is drone/ambient music

its got fedora written all over it

Define "truly atonal". Define "sounding like shit". Depending on your answers I've got plenty of listening material for you.

>drone/ambient music
I'm not too familiar with much of anything non-classical, but I don't really think those would count as atonal.

What on Earth are you talking about?

drone music is almost by definition incredibly tonal

freejazz, stockhausen shit

I'm working on my first piano sonata for a friend who's a pianist and he wants me to compose something extremely hard for him to play. I find it hard to make something that is both challenging and not derivative. Should I settle on the difficulty so I can make something more original?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atonal_compositions

>I find it hard to make something that is both challenging and not derivative.
I kind of get what you mean, but could you elaborate.

*?

like I'm not used to composing something with virtuoso qualities so while I manage to make something hard, the outcome is really plain and probably overdone or accidentally stolen from something I've been listening to. My pianist friend said he would be kinda disappointed if it wasn't as hard as a fast chopin etude. Any tips for virtuosic composing maybe?

I keep sitting down with the ideas for this piece and I find I like it best when its a moderate tempo and difficulty

lots of figurations, octave runs etc.

I'd start with just setting on a melody, and then ornate it using above means.

Look at ljapunov's etude transcendentales as a reference.
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hfdlsOa88

Or if you wanna do something less tonal, have a peek at Bartok Etude op.18
youtube.com/watch?v=G2E058Ep99Y

Liszt's b minor sonata gives a few pointers on how to be not trivial and technically demanding at the same time.

also this, someone posted this link last thread but didn't provide a key.

it's for two pianos, but this could give you some ideas, the way Stravinsky replicates the effects of the full orchestra version in the pianos.
youtube.com/watch?v=XpSaZ3A5Kj8

Incidentally,
>My pianist friend said he would be kinda disappointed if it wasn't as hard as a fast chopin etude
You could totally write an adagio piece that's easy to play but difficult to play perfectly. It's probably different with the piano, but at least for the cello there are plenty of beautiful, slow pieces that are easy to play and difficult to play well, things like
youtube.com/watch?v=6rrkae_ok8Y
I know I was always annoyed when the really difficult piece my private teacher picked out just for me was this kind of piece, though, and not something exciting (and easy) like a fast etude.

Does he have a piano? Or a digital piano?

How do you write etudes to teach yourself piano technique?

My friend has both a real piano and digital (as do I).
He is a talented pianist and said he was looking for something to learn and I said I would compose something for him.

I'm going to go through all those examples you gave tonight. They look helpful, thanks. I don't believe what you are describing for cello would work with piano since producing sound only involves pressing down the keys but I'm sure there are really hard slow pieces on piano.

Check out pic related. Schoenberg is a master. Webern is also excellent

Pic related is great, I prefer David Wilson-Johnson as narrator though. I mean he doesn't have the accent needed for it but his expression is excellent.

>Webern is also excellent
Uh, have any recs? Honestly of the second Viennese school I like Webern the least. His stuff is just too academic for me.

I'll try to have this streamable by sunday.

If anyone has advice on how to get a rhythm right despite thick rubato, let me know.

five pieces for large orchestra, or six pieces for orchestra.

Man they were really creative with their names

>Five pieces for orchestra
It was pretty interesting, and Webern's melodic lines are unmistakably Webern's.

I dunno, though, I'm just some entry level faggot who prefers stuff like
youtube.com/watch?v=GU_HIvMXSM8
and Schoenberg's librettos.

>Petzold autist discovered /Comp/
>tfw

Yeah. He and Copland were gay for each other.

>since producing sound only involves pressing down the keys
Ah, that's a common misconception actually. With the cello how you wield the bow is absolutely integral to it sounding not like shit, so color and expression is naturally learned over time. With the piano you can press a button and have a perfectly satisfactory C, so many self-taught pianists don't even realize all the expressive control they have. It's all to do with the angle, momentum and speed of the key strike, the speed of the finger leaving the key and when that happens in relation to the next note, and the coordination of the pedal in all of this. There's not much control of the note while it's being held, of course, but that's not much of an issue for a harmonic instrument.

If you have pianos why not try out a few 20th century techniques? I mean not necessarily prepared piano if you don't want to mess with the piano too much, maybe simple things like depressing a key or several keys so that those strings sympathetically vibrate when an overtone of theirs is played, creating a unique echo effect.

youtube.com/watch?v=JFIGoB7rK70
Something else cool for piano.

Speaking of Bernstein
youtube.com/watch?v=IpROC4gsZhQ
We need to do some sort of challenge based on the third movement some day

Burp

the same way you write physics textbooks to teach yourself physics. Etudes are almost always designed around specific areas of focus, if you don't know how to play piano you won't know what these are.

Why is F#minor chord related to A minor key?

modal interchange from parallel major? It depends on the context of the piece

Don't know the context, but I've seen a video of a guy playing around between the key of F#m and A minor

it could be constant structure, or chromatic mediant, or modulation, or modal interchange, and the video of the guy playing around would be the context.

So, I have musical phrase that repeats twice, but the second one is different in the 4th measure til the end. Is it the same phrase or would it be another one?

Sounds like a parallel period (depending on the cadences) to me. In this case yeah, you would call the first phrase A and the second phrase A'.