Cultural Appropriation

Brian Eno and David Byrne accused of cultural appropriation

getintothis.co.uk/2016/02/brian-eno-david-byrnes-cultural-appropriation-35-years-life-bush-ghosts/

What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

furious.com/perfect/roberts.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think in regards to music it's a bullshit concept. Styles and culture merge freely in music

>Yes – there is a background of direct theft, of imperialism, of colonialism behind My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. But there has to be a case for quality, for bringing the art of other cultures into the mainstream, and for the validity of art beyond the important, but ultimately mundane, social restraints of respect and decency.

>This album makes that case, over and over again.

Okay, moving on.

Bump

They stole that shit
Typical white pigs

Uh oh!

They fucking took Qu'ran off the album because they didn't want to look like they were appropriating culture for Pete's sake

They've been caught out

>cultural appropriation is wrong
>black people can play instruments and use temperament systems created by white people tho

Ok

>an instrument = culture

ok

who said that? you are making stuff up out of the blue again

>So rare and exotic that a pair of white, wealthy, middle class musicians decided to use the title for an album, happy in the knowledge that they weren’t infringing anyone’s intellectual property rights.

Sophomoric pseud with a bone to pick. You can literally feel the resentment this writer has toward two men who are undeniably unique and creative and both have critically lauded legacies in music.

Thank fuck I'm not a hater. It must be such a lousy thing to feel compelled to bastardize identity politics down to a mere tool for your wounded ego -- but then again that is seemingly all anyone uses it for these days.

>So rare and exotic that a pair of white, wealthy, middle class musicians decided to use the title for an album, happy in the knowledge that they weren’t infringing anyone’s intellectual property rights.

Moving on

> As far as 'pure' music goes, there's no such thing. People who say that music is 'pure' mean that the influences from outside happened a long time ago or they don't know what they are. I severely doubt that except possibly for three guys in middle of the Australian desert that there is any music that is not a result of a blending of what was there before with outside influences.
furious.com/perfect/roberts.html
good post

it is cultural appropriation
people knew that back in 1980
it never fucking mattered

The concept of cultural appropriation is antithetical to art.

Cultural appropriation is a bullshit concept drummed up by tumblristas and career liberals so they don't have to confront the soul-crushing emptiness of living of a life of perpetual offendedness.

Don't fucking play the game.

Is a 10/10 album so who cares? Cultural appropriation is a myth.

>What do you think?

I dont

"Eno and Byrne were merely blundering their way into making a beautiful collection of tunes. No more and no less. Despite the apparent conscious ignorance of its creators, despite their colonial privilege, there are moments of profound cross-cultural beauty on this album. It takes its place among the other masterpieces of that peculiarly 20th century technique of collage. Picasso, Ives, Respighi, Tchaikovsky, Schwitters, the turntablists, Burroughs… meet Byrne and Eno."

Actually READ the article.

Its still a 10/10 album.

Ah yes, the great artists.

Tchaikovsky, Schwitters, and...the turntablists.

they both been dead for decades, who cares anymore

A lot of people obviously

yikes

a lot of people are then FAGGOTS

If /thread ing wasn't so lame, this post could /thread

does cultural appropriation translate as "artists from developed economies second-guessing themselves about whether what they're doing is ethical, feeling guilty about possibly being called an imperialist and then not following through on their inspiration"?

'cause I can't see any other function for that term. what would someone who wanted to go all the way in appropriating other cultures look like anyway? someone who sought this specific form of badness in its purest manifestation?

who cares
sage