Is Let's Dance a bad album?

Is Let's Dance a bad album?

no

It was his last good album for nearly a decade dude.

People who think Let's Dance was bad are plebs

(Scary Monsters was way better though)

Bad no
Pleb yes

It's a good album but there's about a dozen Bowie albums you need to listen to before this.

it's really good

bump

Young Americans is better.

no but it heralded the beginning of a bad era

I agree but lets dance is fuckin great. A bit front loaded but still a great pop album. It grew on me. Its the end of bowie's classic period for sure. The guitar work on this album is fuckin genius

It's a good album with a hilariously bad cover.

It's an excellent album. Just avoid everything else he did in the 80s and pick up again from Outside.

Yes. But that wasn't the question, you utter simpleton.

I've got the picture vinyl hanging on my wall so it must be good.

The Cover of criminal works it's pretty underrated. The First 3 songs and cat people are also pretty cool. One of bowties most cohesive while albums, really, though he was on a roll with heroes, low and station to station. Actually prefer this one to both scary monsters and lodger. But not too tier by a long shot. Worth a listen.

Tonight is fun.

It has bangers ike Neighborhood Threat, Tumble and Twirl, all that good stuff. The first half is very enjoyable. It's just a sweet album. Doesn't do anything particularly interesting, but it is done well. And the reggae influence amuses me.

Not really. It isn't great like the predecessors but has at least two banging tunes on the title track and Cat People and a bunch of solid ones.

>skipping The Buddha of Suburbia and Black Tie White Noise
Context man, context! How is he gonna understand why Bowie returned so electronic? Also he's gonna miss the best 80s Bowie song (Jump They Say).

Not really. Let's Dance has no real flaws besides a somewhat underwhelming last half, due to the fucking powerhouse that is Modern Love/ China Girl/ Let's Dance. Young Americans is good, but stays too long to be great, or at least greater than Let's Dance.
That would be Reality

Outside iss fantastic and Earthling is pretty good you assblister

both of which were released over a decade after Let's Dance you fucking donut

my mom always says lets dance was the album that made him known outside whatever country he is from

i'm sorry you had to live with such a person

great mainstream pop album that falls off a little after the first three songs. I could see how big fans of Bowie's more adventurous stuff would be disappointed.

Cat People is legitimately one of the best songs he ever made.

it's a rock album, actually. the main influence was the 1950s rock he grew up with. he just wanted to update the production so kids would still think rock was cool in the '80s, when post-disco and synth pop was the thing.

this is the reason behind many so called "pop sellouts" btw. Grimes is also updating the '90s alt rock she grew up with, by using electronic dance and pop elements, to make rock that actually can influence the culture, get media attention and get kids into the underground.

and it's what Bowie was attacked for, at the time. now people recognize Let's Dance as great. it's still only a minor Bowie album because it's so short and the non-hits aren't very good (although Ricochet is good). but when people attacked Bowie or Grimes as a sellout who abandoned rock, what they were really saying is, rock should not be popular. Yet these same people complain endlessly that rock isn't popular!

Bowie and Grimes are "saving rock" if anyone is. The way to save it, is to get rock sounds into the pop charts, and excite a new generation.

I see what you're doing. Please don't try to make Grimes look better by lumping her with Bowie.

>make rock songs
>add unnecessary electronic noises over it so it's "trendy"
wew
Good songs are good songs, rock or not

>Bowie and grimes are "saving rock"
>Bowie
>are
user...

^
this is literally some brony tier shit, are all grimes fans this autistic?

inb4 dun b meen 2 grimes she's cute i swear :CCCCCCCC

for real. Grimes is awful

Literally fucking no one listens to Grimes besides the song Oblivion
Fuck off

that's what everyone once said about David...

yeah, and literally no one listens to Radiohead except the song Creep. are people right to be plebs? Oblivion is very very far from her best song. I bet you think Ziggy Stardust is Bowie's best song.

maybe when he actually was awful, pic related
grimes will never make something to the level of station to station tho

Way better than the later releases in the 80s.

Based

she's already made albums, purely as a solo act with no brilliant additional musicians like Bowie had (Carlos Alomar, Dennis Davis, etc), that near the level of his mid '70s to early '80s peak. she has also only made four albums and an EP. at this point in Bowie's career, he had just finished Hunky Dory- a good but seriously flawed album, usually seen as the best of his first four, but still not on par with at least two albums by Grimes. at the rate she is going, she may be making something like Station to Station in four years. It's always a possibility.

Let's Dance and Bowie's ideology when making this album, is all I was comparing to Grimes. It's funny how indiefags complain when an artist "sells out" when that artist, like Bowie, is helping rock to survive in a dark age of rock. Metal bands and punk bands are not heard on radio, barely even allowed at major music festivals anymore. But Grimes has the only fans who mosh at these festivals (Radiohead fans would never dare to, and Arcade Fire has no idea how to make anyone do that, even if they tried). She is keeping '90s alternative rock alive, hidden as "synth pop," just like Bowie was keeping '50s rock n roll alive, hidden as "synth pop."

hunky dory is a critically acclaimed album

everything grimes has ever done doesn't come anywhere near to the level of songwriting on hunky dory and the critic comparison shows it

not bad but not good

it's universally acclaimed today, but critics and magazines go back and revise reviews of albums by artists who were later recognized as legends. for example, kid a only got 4/5 on its original rolling stone and allmusic reviews. they went back and changed it later on to 5/5 after that attained its current status.

if you look at the original reviews of hunky dory, they were in that 3-4/5 range, no more positive than the reviews grimes has received, actually less. some critics declared art angels and visions were generation defining masterpieces on their initial release. nobody did that with hunky dory. later bowie work, yes.

also even if hunky dory is an easy 10 in your opinion, the point still stands, because none of the previous albums by bowie are acclaimed to that degree (even though both space oddity and man who sold are, imo, better than hunky dory) while grimes has two albums out of four that are very highly acclaimed.

dick measuring grimes vs bowie was not the point. his earlier era is an influence on art angels (she was saying that before he released blackstar and died btw) and just like the other greatest musicians of recent generations, grimes would have a hard time ever becoming as huge and groundbreaking a pop cultural figure as bowie, and might not even want to. but that doesn't mean there is no way to make a comparison.

this
i used to shit on it, but it's just not as innovative as Let's Dance; it's just a good new-wave album.
Never Let Me Down on the other hand.........

Is any thread safe from the Grimes virus? Ruined a Joni Mitchell thread a few days back too

I like you people. A lot. FINALLY someone else who likes tonight.

There was never a real Joni Mitchell thread here to ruin. Where? Joni is way above the heads of Sup Forums. Notice she isn't even in Sup Forumscore and Blue is the only album anyone knows. The only "Joni Mitchell thread" was one saying female musicians suck, and using Blue as the image. Eventually anons who weren't as braindead as the OP started mentioning lots of female musicians who didn't suck, and probably Grimes was mentioned, I don't even remember.

Lets see the back

The album or soundtrack version?

Modern Love is excellent
Let's Dance and the first three songs on side 2 are OK
The rest of it is pretty bad.

Bowie and Nile Rodgers had some great musicians on it that they didn't really take advantage of. The biggest problem is that Bowie didn't play keyboards (or anything else) on it. That's really why it missed in the eyes of hardcore fans.

Your mom's never heard Young Americans. That was his first breakthrough into "american music"

It's actually way before, The Man Who Sold the World was his first american breakthrough.

That album was practically unknown at the time though, not many people were listening to him back then.

While in no way being a particularly good album, Tonight is seriously underrated. It's perfectly listenable. I prefer it to Let's Dance.

Your mom is fucking shit, my pleb non-britbong mom was listening to Bowie at fucking age six during his glam days.

>he just wanted to update the production so kids would still think rock was cool in the '80s
Garbage judgment considering Scary Monsters was way cooler and more abrasive while also keeping a current new wave sound.
Let's Dance is dorky and ended up attracting the non-cool normie kids instead.

>actually, legitimately, unironically, non-figuratively, literally believing Grimes could reach the levels of Station to Station
>ever
Kek'd hard, thank you user

>come back to Sup Forums first time in months to see if it's any better
>find this comment in the first thread I look through
>mfw

Don't go, help us get rid of this fucking cancer instead.