youtube.com/watch?v=9nVvojfQVBY
youtube.com/watch?v=-Va1x8cJt9U
youtube.com/watch?v=HaA4zHMnwDs
youtube.com/watch?v=X2sELSweNoQ
youtube.com/watch?v=wj89IfVoIzU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nu metal doesn't mean anything
it's a shitty music term

Describing what? How do they know when to use it?

Nu-metal is métal mixed with rap. Nothing more.

Nice b8

It does, but either way it's not a real music genre

Think of as a bunch of already shitty music genres blended into one big piece of shit that is later sold by a greedy corporation.

It is no different than manufactured pop music.

Usually has rap rock, post-grunge, heavy metal, and industrial elements into it.

Think a shitty band like Limp Bizshit.

Is it only mixed with rap or with other genres too, but mostly rap?

First bands that come to my mind are Limp bizkit and Rage against the machine, thats correct?

nu-metal is a combination of groove metal, industrial rock, hip-hop, and funk metal.
it's characterized by a "sensationalist serial killer biopic" aesthetic and the associated themes of urban decay, traumatic childhood experienced, obsessive psychosis, and modern-day tribalism.
Unlike other forms of metal which are supposed to sound badass, powerful, horrific or evil, nu-metal is supposed to sound manic and deranged, hence the inclusion of funk elements and soft clean vocals contrasted with grunts.

The latest 2 Death Grips albums are nu-metal.

technically they're digital hardcore with more rapping than usual.

for the most part:
>hip-hop elements, also some electronic influence
>down-tuned guitar, heavier sound
>vocals are a mix of singing, screaming, growling, all kinds of shit
this is what i think of
it's not hard to notice these, fairly simple

that's what rap metal is you mongoloid
nu-metal is not just that

korn and slipknot were actually good bands though

he's wrong
RATM is rap metal + funk metal, nothing close to nu metal

this
decent first albums

idk but korn's debut is a classic

nu-metal revival
FTFY

my formatting fucked up

decent first albums was for

electronic nu-metal

arguable
nu-metal and rap metal aren't quite the same thing.

Korn, for example, has practically no rapping.

no. They don't have funky basslines.

So Korn is nu-metal without rap?

Eh, you could argue that rap metal + funk metal is pretty much what nu-metal consists in.

yeah
I think Coal Chamber doesn't have much raps either.

Yeah, mostly rap. But it can have different forms. RATM adds funk. Slipknot goes in a more brutal sound. Etc... Also some synthetics instruments can be added.

the specific genre mashup formulas behind nu-metal aren't very relevant, what matters is that it has a percussive groovy urban sound, and that it revolves around an "absolute psycho madman" imagery

i don't think rap metal is really a thing at all. if you compare korn with no rapping to, say, all in the family their core sound doesn't really change. similarly all in the family doesn't really sound like slipknot - spit it out

>praticly no rapping
It was the very first band to experiment, don't forget that.

nah
guitar-tuning is way different
the groove metal guitar sound is essential to the nu-metal genre
the hip-hop and funk influences are also much more direct in RATM
vocals have no growls, only singing and mostly screaming
the context of their music also matters, since they talk about topics much more different from the nu-metal bands

rap metal is pretty much just Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach.

And post-90s Vanilla Ice.

Nu-Metal started when a wigger went to an Acid Bath concert and thought "huh, these guys are pretty good, they have a good lyrical concept and they look like proper wiggers, but their music doesn't sound wigger enough."

OP, here is some stuff from Nu Metal albums that I personally liked or found interesting.

youtube.com/watch?v=x81SMw8qUh0
youtube.com/watch?v=xDdGrlylcEU
youtube.com/watch?v=iywaBOMvYLI

SoaD?

Mudvayne is really underrated in these conversations

youtube.com/watch?v=9nVvojfQVBY

the "sensationalist serial killer biopic" aspect is absolutely crucial to nu-metal and you can't understand how nu-metal happened if you don't remember that in the early 90s a shitload of TV biopics about psychos were made, which eventually led to the slasher revival when the whole serial killer thing was acknowledged as an essential part of American culture. Simultaneously, groove metal and industrial rock were pointing fingers at the bible belt and depicting it as a breeding ground for psychos, so naturally nu-metal sprung from those genres.

What's slightly harder to account for is the inclusion of hip-hop into the mix, but groove metal was already paving the way for that, and as said above, Acid Bath, which pioneered the "serial killer biopic" concept despite being sludge, all looked like wiggers.

tfw it's an 8 poster circlejerk over buttrock

Its mostly the mix of metal with stuff from the culture of hiphop, some bands rap, some have funky sounds, some remove some metal signature parts like solos or catchy riffs, and some just have the hiphop image, like Soad or deftones, without having much of the rap part musically, if anythin, it was more like a movement of the combination of metal with Mtv and radio culture than a musical genre

In the Bible Belt, embracing hip hop is one of the most rebellious/edgy things you can do. Plus, gangsta rap historically sells well in the suburbs.

?

SoaD is nu-metal

yep

What about Godsmack?

butt-rock

buttrock

this has me wondering is there an official Sup Forums nu-metal chart

pretty sure there's one.

here's my own recs:
Early Slipknot
Early Korn
Early Coal Chamber

And mid-2000s Dir En Grey.

korn's debut is on the mu chart

Primus was also "proto" nu-metal and that album is on the chart, it was a heavy influence behind Korn and Limp Bizkit.

The Downward Spiral also can be seen as having nu metal elements and that album was very influential on musical culture in general in the 90's.

youtube.com/watch?v=-Va1x8cJt9U
youtube.com/watch?v=HaA4zHMnwDs

lel what?
TDS is industrial rock.
its only influence on nu-metal is the whole "now I'm sounding tired and wimpyNOW I'M SOUNDING MAD!and then I sound foppish and exhausted again AND NOW I'M SUPER MAD!" meme.

i think soad and mudvayne are essential. maybe rob zombie too

looking into influences on it you gotta put faith no more up there

Rob Zombie (or rather, White Zombie) is not nu-metal by any stretch of the imagination.

it's industrial rock with strong psychobilly influences.

and nu-metal is industrial rock influenced, so it's only natural

yeah but it took more from other industrial rock albums

i mean yeah, but nu-metal is kind of an amorphous genre. i'm just trying to think what mallgoths like me were listening to at the time.

dunno
i think nu-metal directly took the "sudden explosion" sound from TDS
see mr. self destruct and march of the pigs
compare it to like korn's blind

Then shut up if you're just gonna mention unrelated genres that happened to be marketed at you, cause industrial rock =/= nu-metal =/= metalcore =/= buttrock etc...

No, downward spiral was pretty influential on it, mostly early on

youtube.com/watch?v=X2sELSweNoQ

youtube.com/watch?v=wj89IfVoIzU

A likelier explanation is for them to have taken it from When the Kite String Pops.

>RATM
they were called crossover when they were new

safe to say nu-metal took from both in healthy amounts

Snot
Velcra
Nothingface
Flapjack
Pulseultra
Slipknot's Iowa
SOAD
Deftones' Around the Fur and Adrenaline
Korn's s/t
Mudvayne's LD 50

These are all you need tbqh

i like three dollar bill yall and significant other by LB but a lot of people won't listen to those albums for obvious reasons. (chocolate starfish)

MFKR is superior to Iowa

american football and texas is the reason have almost nothing in common but they're both considered emo essentials

i really don't think it'd be that out there to say that rob zombie would be an artist to listen to to grasp nu-metal

scaruffi gave an 8 to roots by sepultra

Only insofar as listening to the Sex Pistols is necessary to grasp thrash metal.

Mainstream metal added funk and hip-hop influences to death metal to create a rock-based variant known as "nu-metal." Using the vocal rhythms of hip-hop in a style inherited from the "brocore" metal of Pantera and its descendants, nu-metal used rock song format and metal distortion to make riffs which were essentially funk- and rock-based but used metal techniques of chromatic fills and strum techniques. Perhaps the biggest nu-metal band appeared in the form of Slipknot, but related acts such as Rage Against the Machine and Marilyn Manson also incorporated these elements. Nu-metal added nothing to metal that hybrid bands had not attempted in the 1980s, but with death metal minimalism and the extremity and imagery of black metal, it became a marketable force at stores like Hot Topic which catered to rebellious teens who wanted to avoid stepping over lines of social acceptance and thus actually damaging their futures. Much as a famous ad campaign related "Banker by Day, Bacardi by Night," the nu-rebels wanted to have both the merits of sociability with the appearance of alienation.

siege would be a better comparison

why do people care so much about scaruffi? I mean he is just another guy making his opinions public...

>marilyn manson
>nu-metal
fucking wrong
the reason why Manson sounds groovy is because they took inspiration from White Zombie and Alice Cooper. No connection with funk.

Marilyn Manson play industrial glam rock, by the way.

The only time they got close to the nu-metal formula was on The Golden Age of Grotesque as a means to parody every teenage tribe of the early 2000s by assimilating them all into a goop of industrial goth-hop butt-swing. Which happened to result into something that kinda sounds like nu-metal.

Not him but i think his taste is great for the most part
Digging through his 8/10's can find you a lot of good music

His list of greatest animated movies of all time includes several comic books.
Nigger's a dilettante.

And that changes my opinions of his taste how?

It's correct.

YOU AND I WERE MEANT TO BE
A CHEAP FUCK FOR ME TO LAY

Spot on. Nice