>inb4 meme
>inb4 divorce lawyers

TrĂ¼

Particularly his early work, but Jandek

anything dean blunt,james ferraro,opn,john maus,sun kil moon and jandek

youtube.com/watch?v=AF2bBn2z_kg

Anything by World's End Girlfriend

This

Why? It's just some dude singing and playing poorly.

xiu xiu

i still try tho

>nothing sounds like it
Everything sounds like it. That's what I hated about it

this
I desperately want something that fits the same niche as Knife Play

This Song Is A Mess But So Am I and Felt Drawings are the closest i found yet

Long Season comes close but not quite

At the time of its release it was very idiosyncratic. Recently people are copying it because of its originality.

Unless im just retarded

other than $uicideboy$

can't replace mark e. smith's charm

Good answer tho I'd say others mined similar territory. They just sounded like shit whereas Soul Coughing didn't.

both

My fucking nigger. I love Soul Coughing. I still have to find another album like this. They're the GOAT

plus other old anco

What's an example of a band/group that tried similar territory?

They really are the best, so sad that they all hate each other now. Don't know if you read Doughty's book but YIKES what a group of human beings they were.

shit i just listened to this earlier, is the other early anco as noisy?

Yes, especially Danse Manatee.

Strangely, early Psychedelic Furs. You hear a lot of Bowie in the Furs but you dont hear the Furs in much else. Interpol? Maybe. Not really.

#

THIS. I'm still looking for an album that sounds remotely similar

Terrestrial tones
Black dice

(not true, by the way)

yep
everything before this point is

Man, that song is perfection though. The lo-fi element, for one thing, is very different from a lot of his other stuff- little to no hiss, just this warm, subdued feeling that causes the chord organ/hitting against the chord organ arrangement to somehow transcend its limitations and become eerily unrecognizable. The warped tape has somehow hit an ideal pitch that makes him sound like a scared child. The chord progression is brutally simple but surprisingly original. The staccato rhythm is very catchy. The melody falls on top of everything beautifully, lots of subtle moments like "Try to reach OU-out" or "I really don't know why I'm STAY-ing here." Daniel may be no theorist but he's studied that Beatles songbook obsessively and has picked up on a few of the ideal ways to raise or lower the pitch of your voice at a key moment. Or towards the end when he adds a great little extra part on the keyboard during the "HAVE to fear" (doo-doo).

Oh wait I forgot lmao I only pretend to like this fat retard's music because he's got Down's Syndrome or something lol you guys are all poseurs

Great album. Check out Horses by Patti Smith. It's not exactly the same, but the vocal styling of LWB seems influenced by it.