How was he so creative with a guitar?

How was he so creative with a guitar?

he played it, numbnuts

He got bitten by a guitar when he was younger, awakening mysterious powers within him.

he got them suicide eyes

poor dude

>tfw you'll never hear the completed FABOTH
Would have been one of the greatest albums ever made desu

what was so creative about his guitar player

playing

I second this. Give us an example OP. I have never heard anything out of the ordinary from him

Listen harder

10/10 arrangements and brilliant songwriting, and he makes it seem simple (Angeles)

Nothing he does is super out of the ordinary (except for the FABOTH sessions) but everything he does is top tier

Have you listened to him? The guys amazing player/ songwriter

Also I'm on my phone so I'm not gonna grab links for all these but in the interest of actual examples imo his best examples of songwriting/arrangement (when it's not just him plus guitar) are Angeles, Stickman, Bottle Up and Explode, Condor Ave, Pretty Mary K (New Moon version, the one on Figure 8 is garbage and literally not even the same song) and Southern Belle

I think he was one of those dudes that just recorded any good idea that came to mind.

I have and acknowledge the fact that he's a great song writer. But I'm still missing the example?

See Also most of those (except for Bottle Up and Explode and Stickman) admittedly make the case for his songwriting but not his arrangement skills so if you want that then also listen to Colorbars and King's Crossing

Kek

i still find condor avenue to be his best song

>doesn't play the same 4 chords as everybody else
>creative with a guitar

that about sums up /mu

You forgot satellite which is one of best chord progressions ever written in my opinion

I agree entirely op, as a musician when I listen to a lot of songs I can kinda guess where they're going, which chord is next in the progression, what melody is gonna be used, but Elliott could always keep you guessing, but he still wrote catchy and accessible tunes, easily one of my favorite guitarists and song writers

exactly, i've been looking up chord progressions of songs for years and his are among the top5 top3, its up there near brian wilson and smith's chords aren't even that embellished or elaborate, they're just really well constructed melodies/key changes

satellites lyrics are amongst his best too. satellite is just a gorgeous song all around

st ides heaven is the only song that i can recall as an immediate example but there's a diminished chord in it that adds this bit of dissonance but for some reason doesn't out of place and is still really pretty sounding???

imo nothing he does is seriously out there it's just a lot of stuff you wouldn't immediately think (chords that don't go together or randomly tuned strings etc) and it's consistently top notch...

Look man, I'm not gonna say playing guitar is hard or anything, I recognize most guitar music is very derivative.

But Elliot really was a fantastic musician and songwriter. If songs like Miss Misery and Between the Bars Dont make you want to curl up and cry, then you have no soul.

not saying he wasn't extremely creative and a great songwriter... but he was pretty average at guitar.