Major 7 are fucking lit bro

diminished triad

Majors minors and occasionally throw in some 7s

jumping by intervals of 5,3,7 are usually good

N#

actually no scratch that, 1 3 b5 all the way

ask Guitar George

the P chord
(which sounds suspiciously like a F#7 with a flanger but its cute so fuck off)

youtube.com/watch?v=EyCrmk9c3H8

Favorite is probably dominant 7th, really soulful sound and you can use them as a transporter to go to the IV degree, which is useful as fuck

But he's strictly rhythm. He doesn't like to make it cry or sing

or maybe d#7

this

How do chords work? I started making music few days ago and it all just sound the same unless I'm doing something really wrong?

what do you mean?

I can't really elaborate what I'm doing because I'm new to it but on the daw I'm using when you select a chord it pastes few notes combined(one over other with spaces) and it sounds like complete shit, every single type of chord.

Nigga pick up a real instrument.

dont want to make even shitter music though

i've never used a daw so i don't know what the 'chord' function does, but it seems like a bad idea to obfuscate what's actually going on especially when you're new (use a keyboard or input the notes yourself). the reason it all 'sounds the same' is probably because you're using some preset chord or something over and over again.
go learn some music theory, there's a ton of resources online. you don't have to learn a physical instrument but doing so will probably help hone your ear etc. how would it make shittier music?

the fuck is this

>7

I didn't know either but I've been watching some of the videos and it's some interesting marketing going on where there's this pop singer whose videos get progressively weirder and more bizarre. The songs have about 1.5m views but the videos are the best thing about Poppy

Pic related is how it looks like but with even more notes
>preset chord or something over and over again
I changed the chords a lot but it still sound the same.
>how would it make shittier music?
Because it doesn't have the same freedom.

Dont use the chord function, seriosly, just write in notes yourself, its for people who already understand music theory and are too lazy to write in the notes, but since you don't yet, you should be playing around with the notes and combinations to get an understanding of how they feel. Also, learn basic music theory with like YouTube or something. It will go a long way if you haven't learnt an instrument before

wtf I love Poppy now

youtube.com/watch?v=U9PVGYf_haE

that should sound fine, try taking out the F if you really want. sounds like maybe something in your setup is fucked

Poppy looks like she has Down's syndrome in every picture

Me again Ur using live, which is like stupidly complicated if you dont know what ur doing, you might not want to bother, but seriously, go learn some music theory first, then do some ableton live tutorials, then come back and tell me im a cunt if it doesnt help you

mind uploading a clip of what it sounds like?
also 'more freedom' doesn't mean shit when you don't know what you're doing

this is what i was trying to get at

I will of course just want to also make music while learning it.
I will post a clyp
I don't use ableton it was just the first picture I found.

Here it is, I used 4 different chords
clyp.it/rzfboy4k
>also 'more freedom' doesn't mean shit when you don't know what you're doing
I do everything just fine even melodies but have no idea how to use the chords.

guitarland.com/ChordDiagrams/Frame3.html

You choose a scale and you play every other note of the scale together all at once. Choose however many you want to play from 3 notes on up. So you could choose C major and play the 1 3 5 of it, which would be C E G, also known as C Major, or you could play 1 3 5 7 to play C Major 7th. If you start on the second note of the scale (D), you will be playing the 2 4 6, etc of the scale. Because of the contour of a major scale, that would be D Minor (D F A). Add the 8th note (Also you could just call it the 1st note, because you're back at C), and you get a D Minor 7th.

So I just play them one after another instead of all at once? I thought it might be something like that but you can't move them so I thought it was normal.

No, that would be arpeggiating the chords. They're chords when you play them at the same time, and they're arpeggios when you play the notes one after another.

honestly dude i have no way of knowing what you're going for but that sounds fine to me. third chord is a bit jarring but hey idk.

Emaj, A7, Emaj, E7
Amaj, A7, Emaj, E7
B7, A7, Emaj, B7

easy peasy bluey bar

Oh. So you shouldn't use more than 3 notes at once or I'm just retarded?

if you strum those notes together you're playing a chord;
if you play them separately you're arpeggiating it

Inversions of that are better.

three notes is called a triad, and it's a very common thing in western music, but you can have as many notes as you want. it ends up a bit muddy if you have a lot of notes.

I've never found anything sounding like. Maybe its the synth, I should of used the piano its way clear there.
>67564427
Yes I understood that already but I still don't know how to make the chords listenable when there are more than 3-4 notes.
>. it ends up a bit muddy if you have a lot of notes.
Yeah I noticed it

You can use more than 3 notes if you want. Like another user said: 3 notes is a triad. A lot of simple, catchy, popular music is written with just triads.

When you start adding a lot of extensions on top like 9ths, 11ths, and 13ths, you're usually getting into jazz or fusion territory, though they can be used in any kind of music.

A song by deadmau5.
youtube.com/watch?v=MEQMkzjcLEA

Just want to add that if you want to keep it from sounding too muddy when you add those extensions, you can usually take the 5th out of the chord because although it's a strong sounding tone, it doesn't really tell you too much about the quality of a chord (like whether it's major or minor)

>make the chords listenable when there are more than 3-4 notes.

Try just using the top 3 notes of a 4 note chord and let the bass instrument play the bottom note.

Check this:

youtu.be/qyl4uj-toSY

How does this all work? Why is there numbers on the chord name? Can someone explain that to an ignorant retard like me?

pick up a book
if you're too lazy for that then stop trying

youtube.com/watch?v=NmXQKMjEC8E

Vid summarises everything there is to know pretty much.

Dude has a great channel by the way, covers lots of iteresting shit.

Where should I start? I really want to learn but I'm kinda lost.

I usually do fine with just 1 note but I always wonder how would it sound if I did with chords.
Yeah but I still can't understand why these long scales/chords sound like shit.

G - Em - A - D

You have a scale to start with, in this case C Major. (Or G Major or F Major, as I'll elaborate on later)

The key of C Major has the 7 notes A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. Since the key center is C, we start on the C note, so the scale is C, D, E, F, G, A, and B.

Now you just number those scale degrees so C is 1, D is 2, E is 3, F is 4, G is 5, A is 6, and B is 7.

Now you get your C Major Triad (usually just called "C Major" or "C") by playing 1 3 5. You're just skipping every other note.

The C Major Triad is also found at the 4th scale degree in the key of G Major:

G, A, B, C, D, E, F#

If you start on the C and skip every other note in that scale you'll get C E G, which is your C Major Triad.

It's also found starting on the fifth note in the key of F Major:

F, G, A, Bb, C, D, E

You'll notice if you start on C in this scale and skip every other note, you also get a C Major Triad. Keep in mind that the scales repeat ad infinitum such as (Key of F Major):

F, G, A, Bb, C, D, E, F, G, A, Bb, C, D, E

etc...

Read over this a few times.

Jesus fucking Christ it not even OP, lost me by the second paragraph.

Anything that doesn't involve shitty metaphors and explains things in a logical structure instead of giving you useless terms that are explained later?

Chord with more than three notes that sounds good is like a Major ninth.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninth_chord

So on C it would be C-E-G-Bb-D

That's a Dominant 9th.

I think it's good to read over a few different sources and find something that clicks with you.

Are you mentally challenged or something

A major scale for instance has 12 notes. If you look at a keyboard and go from C to another C one octave higher (to the right), there's 12 half-steps. Interval is the distance between any two notes. C major chord is C E G; the interval between C and E is major third (four half-steps/semitones, or two steps) and E to G is a minor third (three half-steps).

Go from there.

Oh yeah.

I was thinking like, "C major + ninth" but obviously that's not how it works.

Major ninth is like Major seventh + ninth (C-E-B-D).

BTW I was THINKING of dominant ninth as opposed to Major ninth. I feel like it's generally a bit nicer (or maybe "easier to use").

Easier to use than what? The dominant 9 is way different from a major 9.

Eh, if it's the V in the chord progression I'll use C9

If it's the IV or the I in the chord progression, I'll use Cmaj7(add 9).

Or if I'm making a chord a secondary dominant, I'll use C9.

I'm not really that advanced where I can compose stuff like that though, but I know how to play it off a chart.

A

chord

A chord.

A chord.

I am a chord,

I

Am

A chord.

I-Am, A chord.

Also, some chords sound shit without context, and sexy as fuck with context. Comes down to going back to basic music theory as lots of people in the thread are trying to show. Its hard to teach someone on a forum, try somewhere else on the internet. One reason why its hard to teach someone on Sup Forums is that there's no way a few posts are gonna go into enough detail for you to really "get it" so go find a long ass set of lessons on the internet, sit tight, and invest the time into properly understanding. Trust, ask anyone here how long they've been making music.

>A major scale for instance has 12 notes.

Just want to clarify this for anyone reading

The Chromatic Scale has 12 notes. That's all the notes in western music.

Major scale is arrived at by choosing one of those 12 notes to be the Key Center and applying the formula:

WHOLE-STEP, WHOLE-STEP, HALF-STEP, WHOLE-STEP, WHOLE-STEP, WHOLE-STEP, HALF-STEP

>Its hard to teach someone on a forum
This is very true but I still like to try because it helps me understand concepts better, and I like putting in the effort to try to think of the most basic and easy-to-understand way of putting things.

I really want to quit my oft shitty day job and teach music full time.

With secondary dominants you actually need to be careful about the 9. For example the "correct" extension on a V/vi is actually b9 e. g. In C major E7(b9) resolves to Am. The natural 9 is an F# which isn't in either key.

full piano Cluster

Good call.

>If you look at a keyboard and go from C to another C one octave higher
What is a C and what is an octave? I may be uneducated but you must be clinically retarded to not understand why your and the picture's method of explaining shit is absolutely awful. If you're going to be the kind of person who dumps infographs and tutorials, at least make sure they're halfway decent in getting information across. I'm not talking about accuracy of the information, but the actual presentation of it.

Just read them(they guy you posted them for not the one you just replied to) and while I think I got it (major going lowest halfnote down is minor and whole note down after/or 1 and 1/2 is dimished etc ) I still don't understand the purpose of it.
Yeah like I said already I'm going to, its just that I heard chords are really important and thought it would be good to learn them first so I can make music while learning the whole thing. I got like 3-4 full books(pdfs) so I'm not going to pussy out and do it the easy way.

>I want to appear as a figure of authority by educating people, but I am an absolutely fucking awful educator
>what should I do? insist on educating anyway and throw shitty meme images around when I get called out

I've had to deal with enough of your type of retard back in uni where our lecturers were absolutely awful at explaining basic programming to the point where attendance was non-existant and learning anything through said lectures was impossible, only to look at a youtube video of the same subject and the shit becoming as clear as English. If you're incompetent at explaining shit, don't bother.

You don't know what Down's syndrome looks like

i'm sorry user i am a different guy
other user is putting effort into teaching u

Quit being a faggot and go read a Mel Bay book.

DMaj9 represent