Scaruffi on "Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada"

>Moya (one of their masterpieces) begins in cerebral manner in chamber music for strings but hovers then in a sweet melody in tumultuous crescendo
>calls the field recording on BBFIII "cloying" but says it develops into a majestic crescendo instrumental
He gave it a 6/10... I don't get it

6/10 is good.

autimus prime

But that contradicts what he is saying, and he has shit on albums and gave it a 6/10.

he's a mathematician. numbers are more important to him than they are to the average person, so a 6/10 is like an 8/10 for a normie.

He has shit on albums that got a 6/10 before.

He never gave Swans more than a 8, but he gave like 4 of them. His writing makes them sound like the greatest rock band ever.

he uses complex differential equations to come up with the final scores so sometimes one 6 will be seemingly better reviewed than another 6.

He rates albums based only on innovation, so he can think that something is very well done but if it's not innovative it won't get a very high score

But I don't understand why he gave the EP a 6/10, if he liked most of the aspects of it, other than the length of the vocal sample, but is that a factor that would knock 4 points down?

minus 4 points for them being canadian

It didn't do anything extremely new in the context of rock music

Is he really a mathematician? Shit, I thought he taught computer science.

I have a newfound respect for a the guy.

>implying something can be well done without being innovative

What? Yeah their debut did it first, but even then SRFZK was the first to really establish crescendocore as a formula. Not to mention by that logic that Beefheart didn't do much new for rock music with Trout Mask Replica as Mirror Man introduced those ideas first, but it's TMR that has the 9/10 (even then only somewhat rightfully since those ideas aren't optimized till Lick My Decals Off, Baby)

..epic

Kyuss is responsible for the third or fourth best meal album yet they are far from the first doom or stoner band.

Pyrhhon's 2014 release is according to him the second best album of the 2010s when it's style of technical death metal is far from being innovative in this decade when the originator of those ideas (Gorguts, Deathspell Omega, VBE, etc.) have never gotten an 8/10 from him.

He's just some guy with an opinion. He's not necessarily consistent and he's not a professional critic.

If a review doesn't make the reasoning behind the score given clear, it's a bad review.

If you like an album but don't think it's innovative or original enough for a better score, that should be made clear in the review.

if a review is giving out scores, it's a bad review.

lol ducking

Moya is great but it's easily their most accessible track.