Sampling is wrong no matter what

Sampling is wrong no matter what.

If you can't write music, why are you trying to write music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SDqJjRoXBMI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Imagine being this stupid

fuckinghell you're retarded

tell me more about your stealing other's ideas

>hurr muh sampling is bad because u stealing others talent without no music talent of ur own! upvote 4 real music1
>has no problem with 4 chord rock songs

Bait thread

I agree desu

>4 chord songs are all terrible and require no effort.

What's with these homies stealing my music?

found the good egg.

No. Sampling is for rappers and no-talents. I bet you can't even read sheet music.

Pop songs made with "real instruments" are just as repetitive and recycled as music made with sampling, Kill yourself rockist.

Sorry I called you out for stealing.

nice argument

Honestly dadrock bands like AC/DC or Guns N Roses will never do anything as good as the best plunderphonics albums

sorry dad, time's up

it was thanks

The whole dadrock thing is a little retarded if you're seriously going with that angle. You still haven't convinced me stealing ideas is okay.

>stealing ideas
called collaboration

happens all the time

It's about re-contextualizing a musical idea.
A good sample takes something old and breathes new life into it through creative reinterpretation.

>collaboration

KEK!!

But if you were talented, you could create an idea of your own.

need I remind you that the position you're taking is extremely hard to defend, and that the subject you take offence to has been happening for decades

>dude playing the same three stereotyped chords over and over again is ok, that's just art
>but sampling music is evil!!

lmao grandad get with the times, ideas are constantly being recycled or rejuvenated by popular culture across all artistic platforms. It happens either through direct sampling or imitating and adapting, but you can't stop it.

Music trends are predictable, nostalgia makes an easy buck, but you can't single out sampling for that. If anything its a more authentic practise because it forces the artist to confront their own influences and take particular effort to do something new with it, rather than just rehashing predictable melodies and shapes with live instrumentation.

Not really hard to defend. If it wasn't your idea, then artistically, the piece is valueless and insignificant. You didn't make it, so it's not original.

>not recognizing that the act of re-contextualizing is itself a brand new idea all your own

you're playing with a bit of music in a way the original artist never imagined
your ideas have become original
the sample is simply the medium in the same way a guitar is not new but what you do with it can be

3 chord songs have their own derivative issues, but you could never say they stole somebody else's ideas.

Your apathy and pessimism really depresses me. It's the reason people think this is okay.

>your idea
wew laddy
All culture is recycled ideas
Do you think that blues artists are theives because they all base their music on similar musical ideas and structures?

Not original because you didn't create it. Period. Learn music. Learn theory. Learn notation. Write notes. Get sampled by a retarded rapper.

>3 chord songs have their own derivative issues, but you could never say they stole somebody else's ideas.
Yes you can
Musical phrasing and structure is similar across all pop genres. All music is recycled ideas. Sampling is just more direct than using the same three chords.
There is no truly original "musical idea".

I'm talking about lifting actual samples. Sound files. Sampling. I'm talking about sampling. It's never okay.

do you like blues based music

Kill me.

Your argument is 100% invalidated when samples are cleared. People who sample literally get permission from the original artist or label backing them.

op is a butthurt faggot

Yeah because all rock songs are truly original and unique. They aren't all harmonically and tonally indistinguishable, they don't all use the same rhythm, it takes EXTREME TALENT AND COMPOSITIONAL SKILL to strum five chords and bend a note

Not really. Every song is the same. There's exceptions, but for the most part blues that was written anytime after the early 1900's is garbage.

get fucked, faggot

Rockist detected
retard
I bet you listen to prog

Still not your idea.

How could I be when I'm right? Nice contribution, rapper.

And it takes no skill to sample.

As a guy who listen mostly to classical and jazz this is bullshit

Obviously sampling a whole track or 16 whole bars is retarded and wrong but plunderphonics are legit though i have troubles getting into it

>I listen to classical, so mentioning that means I have a greater authority on this subject.

>prog
>bad
don't go down to the level of the user you're talking too

>And it takes no skill to sample.
>muh skill
Yeah dude the quality of music is directly proportional to the difficulty of creating it
Rock takes literally no "musical skill" retard

ur wrong and butthurt. slice you wrists now and stop wasting time

It's not a question of authority it's a question of open-mindness

Prog is bad
You're a fucking retard if you don't realize that

>it takes no skill to sample
Yes it fucking does dumbass. I make music, and using my own ideas is fairly easy while finding a good sample that fits with the song is really hard.

I think we got off on the wrong foot here. I generally don't like rock music for the same reasons you're saying.

Also your lack of enthusiasm on the value of skill in art is abysmal. Shame on you.

Rapper

Pretentious classicalfag detected

Keep living in the 1800s faggot

Well to articulate this properly then, pop songs are one universal, recyclable language, and just because several obscure samples have been thrown together to create something although not "entirely" original, yet original enough to have not been heard before in this new context, does not detract from the quality of those who produced it. I love the Avalanches, and I think their recontextualized pop is among some of the best pop in recent memory

Then why don't you just use your own ideas all the time instead of stealing other's?

rapper

It does detract from the quality of those who made it if they stole. Also, why the fuck are we talking about art, originality, and fucking POP MUSIC in the same context? Get a grip.

>people disagreeing with me are retards
i bet you think that prog has "lost the ideals of rock" or something like that

I think that prog is a shallow pretentious rockist reinterpretation of classical and jazz for people too stupid to listen to real classical and jazz

Using the word "pretentious" implies you know something personally about an artist. You would have to know them and study them as individuals to know if they are truly pretending. I think it's best to just assume that every artist is being honest and is trying to do their best. There's no such thing as pretentiousness for the most part. It's just a buzzword for people like you to use when they want to feel more authentic.

It's alright

I think that rock is a shallow pretentious rockist reinterpretation of blues for people too stupid to listen to blues

Also i like prog, classical and jazz, checkmate atheists

Come and fight me like a real man

>It does detract from the quality of those who made it if they stole
why

>Also, why the fuck are we talking about art, originality, and fucking POP MUSIC in the same context?

oh wait you're one of those

goodbye

youtube.com/watch?v=SDqJjRoXBMI

Agreed on sampling actual so gs from old Bands being an less merit element.

But even an unknown source/effect or ambient noise you'll gonna sample if you're a eclectic music producer.

So sampling is one of the most used technics in modern music, thats all. A bunch of your top 100 albums of all time list sampled variables sources.

You created its new meaning

Because they stole

I am one of those people. I value originality and creativity above anything in art. Sue me.

>I value originality and creativity above anything in art
well that's where your "art theory" bullshit has failed you

art is a communal, emotional, chemical thing

fuck you for attempting to make art sophisticated

>fuck you for attempting to make art sophisticated

KEK!!!!

give one reason why art should be done in one certain way and not others

all forms should be explored you fucking dolt

All I ask is effort. With sampling, you might as well have payed somebody to write the song for you. It's pathetic.

now we're at a point where you don't understand sampling

Yes I do I promote EDM events. I've worked with artists as well. I know how to use Ableton, Reason, and FL studio. I've worked in music my entire adult life. I've sampled things to make funny little songs for fun and I've worked with artists who think this is okay. It isn't.

But what about assempling samples with length inferior to let's say one sec dude

>I've worked with artists who think this is okay. It isn't.
haha thanks arbitrator of music
it always depends on which context but I see no inherent issue with it

Oh it actually was meant for OP my bad

You're welcome, person who is passive and ever enabling about thievery.

>Your apathy and pessimism really depresses me
It's not pessimism, its optimistic pragmatism. I can accept the fact that good art will sometimes come from talented conmen, this is a well-documented phenomena. Elitism isn't creatively liberating, its stifling - it inhibits the free share of musical ideas by dismissing anything that doesn't fit its own ideals as parasitical and unworthy of praise. that sort of thinking is just so dated, and its not because the sampled genres are themselves dead - what sampling does is acknowledge the finitude of its inspirations, and attempt to rekindle the magic so that later generations can experience it in its revival.

How is it stealing when the sampled artist gets their cut from being credited for that sample? That's like stealing a lady's purse and mailing her back the cash you took from it.
Sampling is legal dude, get over it.

>passive
I'll stop being passive when you present any evidence to suggest that "original" (I put that in quotation marks because so much of it is recycled) music is any better than the best of sampled music, apart from muh thievery.

which also makes no sense because it usually has to be cleared

all the good melodies and progressions have been written

might as well invoke a sense of nostalgia with a sample and add your own ideas on top of it instead of trying to reinvent wheel

Guys, if you can't even fucking remake every scene of a movie you are going to include in your transformative review of it, just kys my man.

Also this is obviously bait, but yet I feel some strange urge to reply

You can't compare traditional songwriting to sampling; they're two different approaches.

Good sampling is when the source materials are used in extremely creative ways, put into new contexts, using interesting elements of how it sounds rather than lifting entire structures.

It's about seeing how far you can go with the world's source materials, using this as your instrument. Where people find these sounds and how they decide to structure this together can be really interesting with limitless possibilities.

Labels like PAN, Leaving, Tri Angle, Brainfeeder, Orange Milk, Planet Mu, Warp, RVNG, etc are good examples of this. People will use examples like R2DJ and Kid Koala but all that stuff is not great.

Yeah, it's stealing. Yeah, lifting entire songs is lazy. But you have to look at it as a seperate art form and look for the scope of talent and work that comes from the good stuff.

>as the best plunderphonics albums
What album may that be?

>Yeah, it's stealing
not if its cleared
Anyway, totally seperate question, but does anyone know what process John Cage went through in writing "Imaginary Landscape No. 5"?

I just can't understand how you can compose a piece based on samples without actually having specific samples, just "any 42 records"

He said blues based. So pretty much fucking everything. Please do at least a tiny bit of research into music history. Also sampling is totally okay and can be a beautiful way to resurrect old ideas and make them something new and different.