/grimes general/

Discuss the extraordinary Canuck electronic artist Claire Boucher (aka Grimes).

Some cool stuff:
Flowcharts: imgur.com/a/iQk79
Documentary: vimeo.com/164942263
Rarities: reddit.com/r/Grimes/comments/4g84rl/grimes_downloads_various_rare_collaborations
Read this: genius.com/Grimes-i-dont-want-to-have-to-compromise-my-morals-in-order-to-make-a-living-annotated

Rule #1: be nice to Grimes. Rule #2: don't be an asshole.

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/24793256
youtube.com/watch?v=1H97woq_XM0
youtube.com/watch?v=ahnUH7wnW30
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Lethe EP is objectively the best thing Grimes has ever done.

Are you sure?

What is that thing on her neck?

Are you sure?

I think so.

Watch this now: vimeo.com/24793256

You're wrong. You imply that all her music evolution since Lethe was for nothing.

I'm not implying that at all you fucking milkbag, I just like her lo-fi minimalist approach the most.

Are you sure?

>I just like her lo-fi minimalist approach the most.
>Lethe EP is objectively the best thing Grimes has ever done.
Like =/= objective, dumbass.

Grimes makes some of the most relaxing and centering music I've ever heard.

That's because it is objectively the best project she has ever done, homo.

Ignore this poster.

Less one tenth baked epistemology and ontology, more Grimes.

t. I'm too much of a pleb to enjoy Lethe.

Yes, you are. I'm listening to Lethe right now.

prove it

You're not going to get audio or video proof.

>lethe.webm

>not cutting the audio so that you can listen to each track individually

I don't have access to any of the tools I usually work with, and don't care enough to do it with ffmpeg.

MPC-HC doesn't do seamless audio anyway, so it's just fine.

Where did the idea come from that Lethe may have been a Majical Cloudz collab? Does anyone know what actual technology and instruments were used to create Lethe?

What was the recording date? I know she said Panda Bear's Person Pitch inspired her to record music, and that was released in March 2007. So anytime after that, I guess..,

A line of black bodypaint(?) she is in the process of drawing on her skin with the writing/drawing/painting implement in her hand.

i love her, she is my life

Do you think she'd like that, user?

>Does anyone know what actual technology and instruments were used to create Lethe?
pretty sure it was just garageband

i don't know, but i can't help myself

honestly, it's a pretty fucking innocent thing to say compared to this thread average. it means the person is a huge fan and she gives them things to live for when the rest of life may be shit. i.e. they are her fan. she appreciates fans.

very innocent compared to Chvrches threads

I like that she clearly has an appreciation for the sort of muffled and distorted but still "loud" sound you get at concerts when you're far away or behind a structure. Multiple songs have this effect. The end of Lathe, World Princess II, likely some others I've forgotten.

Radiohead included it in the beginning of Ful Stop. Modest Mouse in Dashboard. One of the best elements, but necessarily used very sparsely.

I didn't say anything negative. I just vaguely implied if I was an artist (or not) I wouldn't myself or my output to be someone's life. It's a burden to be framed that way.

Her very first experience with digital audio production consisted of using MAX/MSP and Logic for school-related things (skip to 6:50 youtube.com/watch?v=1H97woq_XM0 ) so...

i love grims so much...

Ful Stop is a banger

>be nice to Grimes
Why be nice to some hipster chick who sings like trash and also waffle stomps her miscarriages down the shower drain if they aren't female.

>sings like trash
Have you ever even listened to her music? Halfaxa especially. Her vocals are great, and relaxing.

>hipster
she is surrealist yuppie you ignorant fuck

First introduced to her sounds via the 8bit covers, was okay but I really couldn't stand her baby voice one bit when I first heard it, totally ruined the enjoyment I got from the beats, looks like you have to be pedo or into edging to like this "artist".

In May James tweeted "Coldplay > Radiohead" and then Claire tweeted a terse "James" followed by "dunno about this one." I feel like this was putting James in his place, reminding him not to get too secure in his position when Devon is still lurking in her heart.

I've noticed that Claire actively avoids mentioning Radiohead, which is something many musically sophisticated people also avoid even if they love Radiohead. They are an "entry-level artist" on the hipster scale and it is cliche to namedrop them a lot, but in Claire's case, avoiding the subject of Radiohead may also be due to personal reasons.

James hates Radiohead (he expressed criticism of them long before that tweet), yet Hana loves them, and some of Claire's older friends love them (when Claire played the same festival in Montreal as Radiohead, some of her old friends did not even mention her performance, instead tweeting about Radiohead's greatness). Devon may no longer feel much affection for Radiohead, that isn't known, but Kid A had an effect on his life at some point, or he would not have made the song Are You Alone. This song may not be about Claire, but then again, it could be.

Some people speculate that although Devon has other relationships, he is still in love with only one person, Claire. It would therefore make sense, that if he titles an album Are You Alone? and seems to be addressing another person in parts of the song, that person might be her. And if so, the fact the song is based on Radiohead's Motion Picture Soundtrack suggests that maybe Claire and Devon shared an interest in Kid A during their time together.

Claire's avoidance of Radiohead as a subject- her preference to only mention other '90s alt rock- could be a protective shield so she can preserve those memories with Devon, knowing that Radiohead represents negative things in her chosen poptimist ideology, as promoted by James. Whenever Claire does mention Radiohead, she may be sending a secret signal to her ex...

(just a wildly speculative theory I don't even believe but it's sweet to contemplate that she and Devon send each other secret messages this way while publicly pretending to not care about Radiohead at all.)

I swear to fucking God grimes starts these fucking threads every day to make sure she's talked about. Its perfect cover too bc she distances herself from Sup Forums/reddit publicly so no one would ever suspect its her. I see you Grimes.

They both have the heart tattoo.
Interesting.

grimes!!!!

Your Eyes has the Motion Picture Soundtrack interpolation

The pain returns.

I'm going to just zombify myself with GABA-A and Cb1 agonists. It's not like there exists any potential opportunity I'll be hamstringing myself in.

You lost your way

anyone has some videos from 2010-2012 to recommend me to make gifs/screenshots of?

>Some people speculate that although Devon has other relationships, he is still in love with only one person, Claire.
I think it's not true cuz of lyrics in Devon:
>But you don't love me anymore

He broke up with her because he was fed up with her shit and thought she would change if he left for a while.

Instead she found James, who only adds fuel to the fire that is her spoiled mentality.

Sure, she does.

Grimes, I love you!

sick of these astroturf shill threads

>Using a mac
Grimes, come on. I've never in my life seen such sloppy and broken UX.

what do you think james would do if he found out claire had a one night stand with devon like, let's say, a month ago?

Who saw mde world peace tonight was the closing act grimes lol

Regardless of what you think about Grimes, on her threads you can find:
- good discussion (occasionally really good)
- pics
- memes and pastas
- obvious shitposts and trolling
- hate speech
- youtube links.

They all tend to have a shitload of replies and flamed arguments. They're diverse and entertaining. People that love her or love to hate her, they all enjoy posting non-stop about one of the best artists of the decade.

Grimes is only with james because he has nudes of her and is threatening to release them if she doesn't sleep with him on command and now he has a sex tape too.

speculating about her relationships is lame

he would say "ok. as long you are still somewhat emotionally loyal to me I'm cool! like really cool! I guess this means we are in a fancy new semi-open relationship now eh? sounds exciting, does he want anything from my body?"

>That waist
>Those hips
>etc
I'm not sure how anyone can genuinely insult that physique. All the anti-Grimes posting seems to revolve around her appearance. Seems these people just can't read passed clothing and hair.

>surrealist yuppie
That's such a hipster thing to say.

I daily fantasize being stuck with grimes in a post-apocalyptic scenario, we would be the few remaining people left in the world and grimes demanding to be the mare of humanity popping out dozens of spawn helping save mankind and ensuring the future of the world is full of princess DNA.

you can dress up all you want but you can't hide your weird face, I know this to be true

Grimes doesn't really strike me as a hump bunny that doesn't mind spending her whole life pregnant, and be more or less just a breeder.

Seems like more of an equally individualistic comrade.

Can somebody post more pics from this photo shoot? I don't want them for anything dirty (I'm gay) I just thinks she looks really cool.

You should search "Creem magazine" Grimes, there is a tumblr where a lot of them are posted. It's a photo shoot from 2013 with John Londono, the same photographer who shot most of her Arbutus-era press photos, did cinematography on Vanessa and Crystal Ball and directed the Nightmusic video.

here's another one.

World Princess part II
Kill V. Maim
Pin
SCREAM
Life in the Vivid Dream
California
Artangels
Realiti
laughing and not being normal
Venus Fly
Belly of the Beat
Butterfly
Flesh without Blood
Easily

not sure if you saw this one the other day

Grimes has a metaphorical penis which any one can love if they give up other musicians.

last one.

Thanks

How does she grow her hair so fast?

not last one that exists- last one i have saved. maybe a lot more exist. oh and here's the magazine cover, which looks like a mirrored version of one of the images.

idk if that hair is real

actually does anyone know if she was born blonde? did she go through a black haired goth phase that lasted ten years and finally return to blonde in the past five years, or is black or dark brown her natural color?

which of her albums has the best atmosphere?

What's wrong with her? Spoiled in what sense? I don't know anything about her but her music really

james is essentially her ornamental butler and secretary, he is only allowed to ejaculate if the full moon is visible.

Grimes is fucking awful. Can't you retards go to Reddit to talk about this shit rather than infecting Sup Forums with this bullshit?

halfaxa

I'm guessing she naturally has lighter brown hair.

cant you stay out of the thread if you dont like her?

Can't you stay off this site if nobody likes you?

what cute pranks do we think they play on each other?

How could you possibly know?

Refer to:

dark brown

Maybe. I'm apt to think the image I posted is earlier, but not necessarily more accurate.

Worth noting is her hair type looks similar to mine. It looks lighter in certain lighting if you've washed it, it looks very dark if you haven't.

And also, what am I even seeing here? Photoshop?

what great smile, you don't see that too often.

>And also, what am I even seeing here? Photoshop?
nah, she was just very hairy back in the day due to excess of pheromones

agree

and beautiful chest hair. I love a woman with chest hair

It's obviously photoshopped. Just wonder if the hair is shopped as well.

grimes looking soo cleopatra here

I would really like to pet-her-clitra... bean flicking wise.

Better version.

Justin Bieber is claire's celebrity hall pass, so james would probably be mad at her for not aiming high enough.

I love the sloots who wear the loose garments over the tiddies, if ever there was an invitation to reach in and touch faith that is it.

shut the fuck up

How do you know Justin Bieber is Claire's celebrity hall pass?

youtube.com/watch?v=ahnUH7wnW30

let's list things grimes was a pioneer and innovator of, that almost everyone laughed at or questioned about her at the time but every hipster eventually copied from her and exactly does now

1. unironically liking justin bieber

She likes Justin's music so? She also likes Taylor but I doubt she wants to get with her.

so beautiful.