Punk Bass

does anyone have any tips on how to write punk bass lines?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_chord
youtu.be/XcccqG6-dDg?t=59s
youtube.com/watch?v=6_BTtpupOCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=aSMWzLu61lU
youtube.com/watch?v=RmDR1r0RCkQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what wave of punk are we talking about?

Hit random strings until it sounds good

just learn basic music theory

learn about things like the circle of fifths and mess around with the major scale

You gotta suck at it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_chord

now just hit up /fa/ and you're good to go

t. pic related

>punk
>theory
Don't listen, learn some songs by your favorite bands, then make sure you understand what the theory behind it was so you can start learning to write.

>4/4

mark hoppus

and thats actually the more difficult and basically redundant way to play a G

just simply blunt the A string

how the fuck could someone not play bass guitar for a punk band. could he not even play open notes and the dotted frets?

learn the major scale for pop punk and maybe the phrygian dominant for heavier stuff and just play around with it, but mostly use your ears, learn a bunch of songs and experiment

>could he not even play the dotted frets?
quality trips

5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555588888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

just play the fucking root notes

yes? you're already playing a B like one octave up on the B string. The only reason to play it the way in that pic would be for a specific finger picking pattern.

you just blunt the A string with the side of your middle finger that's playing the low G

youtu.be/XcccqG6-dDg?t=59s

*skip to 0:59

run some scales, just follow the root note of the rhythm guitar but experiment as well so you can have fun putting more complicated chains together

Matt Freeman
Mike Dirnt
Fat Mike when he puts his mind to it

But if you take away any name from this post, make it this one: Tom Crease.
He plays bass for Frenzal Rhomb, a great example of slapping in punk

youtube.com/watch?v=6_BTtpupOCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=aSMWzLu61lU
youtube.com/watch?v=RmDR1r0RCkQ

And just listen to anything by them. Saw them last night, they're a great live show.

Shit, I forgot Tony Lombardo from Descendents. Just listen to Milo Goes to College all the way through.

Listen to The Minutemen and take your cues from Mike Watt.

Bro, that would make at least a G6 if you only blunt the A string. get good and play a G, even fucking cowboys can play guitar better than you

That's not I IV V wtf lol

just copy any reggae bass line and you're good

>blunt the string

Fuck are you talking about

Do you mean mute or fret?

When my friends and I jam we do something called the crappy punk segment.

Basically it starts out with me humming the rhythm to the guitar or bass player (it has to real simple). The simpler the better.

Than we ask the crowd for something they either do or don't want to do.

We have such local hits as
I want to wipe my ass sideways
I don't want to shower with you (talks about cleaning your dick in front of your gf)
I want to play grand theft auto for real

And literally anything else. Just make up the words as you go.

Real basic bass lines generally just follow the guitar directly, or play whole notes opposed to their rapid notes.

For super balls easy bass lines play early black flag.

The Jesus Lizard has fun bass lines, if they count as punk. So does Minutemen and the Clash

This guy is right. Punk is not a real musical genre, it is just a fashion trend. The music is pretty much the least important part of it.