Is MPP overrated?

Is MPP overrated?

that doesn't really look like mpp

maybe
MPP made me reconsider listening to pop music which is why I like lana del rey now
But sung tongs,spirit and strawberry are much better albums

sigh

Don't think so. Pretty much a one-of-a-kind album with accessibility into the "broader scope" of music

Besides My Girls the whole album seems blurry. Why it was so acclaimed?

t. person who has listened to music for maybe a month

I agree, its one of the only albums that gets frequently discussed here that I really can't get into. Everything just feels mushed together with a lack of dynamic contrast, can anyone help explain what I'm supposed to be looking for to "get" it. I like a lot of the anco discography, so it bums me out that this one is such a pain for me to get into.

its overrated. Sup Forums just circlejerks it because they made an accessible pop album thats "patrician" because muh REVERB

MPP is the only Sup Forums core I know that gets worse with every listen.

for me, it's about context. i haven't listened to the record in years, but you have to understand the time it came out. it was late 2008, shit just leaked. we were all listening to strawberry jam, sung tongs and campfire songs in preparation. this record comes out and is an earworm from start to finish. it's got all the appeal and accessibility of a pop record with the esoteric technicality and far-out attitude of a regular anco record. chillwave was in full swing. this record was icy cold during the winter when it mattered, and breezy warm 6 months later when we all put it back on to cruise around and listen to.

in the end, it's not anco's best. is it close? abso-fucking-lutely, for the reasons i just mentioned. the critical acclaim of a record doesn't just come from how you, a high schooler, interpret an LP that was recorded when you were 8 years old. the context of its release matters a lot to. you have to remember, this was a time before let's play. it was when spice was still legal. this record is steeped in nostalgia for a lot of Sup Forums users, and i wouldn't be surprised if the majority of folks who disagree with the album are just young OR just really started digging into music recently.

Any album that is so acclaimed is inevitably going to be overrated from some people's perspectives.

It still moves

It's more like meshed together. It took a simpler pop vibe, the dynamic is more flat.

IT STILL MOVES WTF

i would also like to add that there was a time before this record was a meme. before it joined the ranks of hospice and itaots as an album cover you post just to grab someone's attention. that informs folks' opinions about the album these days more than anything, i'd reckon.

The history of hype with the release says nothing about the album at all. Why are you talking about let's plays and synthetic marijuana? Is this in the liner notes?

it has a lot to do with the album. if an album has the capacity to represent a specific point in time for a large swath of listeners, is it not worth knowing? this was the record that made anco a household name. that's pretty fucking significant imho.

and like i said, the record is versatile. it's just a comfy listen while still being classically anco.

Sup Forumscore existed to establish a cultural mentality here, and perpetuate it. The board has outgrown these things, even itaots isn't that important anymore, just the meme it's-self was.

I can't wait for summer to be over

Okay but profoundness is always exaggerated, especially when associated with your nostalgias. It's classically AC as any other, even hating on Painting With is still a popular thing here.

you're right, idol worship represents Sup Forums now more than anything.

my point is that it was hyped up for a reason. it's a good record. is it great? probably not. should it have made p4k's top 20 records of the 2000s list? naw. but it's as good as any other anco record (which is to say it is GOOD) and people forget that because it became a fucking meme.

It leaked on Christmas.

I like MPP, but yeah. Some people treat it like the best album ever, when it's not even AnCo's best record

It gets better with every listen. It packed with so many layers of synths that you can hear new aspects of the music with repeated llistens

good post. have a lot of time for albums 'of a time' as opposed to being 'timeless'. though i admire both.

duh