Why are Americans so religious? It's not only Protestantism...

Why are Americans so religious? It's not only Protestantism, even Catholics and Jews are crazy religious by European standards.

>10 states have weekly church attendance above 50%
>only 11 states have weekly church attendance below 33%

Well first off, see that sorta, rectangular state in the west? That's a literal theocracy funded and ran by a cult.
Second, this country was FOUNDED BY PEOPLE THAT GOT KICKED OUT OF EUROPE FOR THEIR RELIGION

>Well first off, see that sorta, rectangular state in the west? That's a literal theocracy funded and ran by a cult.
t. Cleetus McNeverMetAMormon

I think that vast nature partly makes it.

because we have family values

Canada telling others about their own countries.

So shocking.

Standard European Protestantism and Catholicism is often too authoritarian for American tastes, but a prominent anti-science current leads to a need for religion, hence Evangelicalism.

In any case, it's because of these diverse sects that we have Separation of Church and State.

t. got kicked out when turned 18

Have you SEEN Utah's Alchohol laws? They're fucking ABSURD because of the "Church" of mormon. And the only reason I call it a cult is due to the fact that it's history sounds like the story of a man who wanted to be able to have as many wives as he wanted and get away with it cause "Muh religion"

The only reason people hate Mormons is jealousy. When I was in school the mormons were always the rich white kids and were always nice and friendly, people call them 'creepy' for that because it makes us feel inferior.

Someone's projecting

In America you can believe whatever the fuck you want. In Europe they suppressed religious freedom which left them with a state church attended by nobody except a few 80 year old women.

>state church

not progressive enough

stop drinking then la

>In America you can believe whatever the fuck you want.
And... you can't in Europe? What is your point?

In the state of utah, Mixed drinks have to be mixed by the bartender behind a wall, curtain or other such obscuring device so that the children don't see it or something dumb like that.
Also I've been told that in some places the cops will try to arrest you for being drunk and getting in a cab. Not drunk driving, just being drunk and getting in a cab

>And... you can't in Europe? What is your point?
I think his point is that that wasn't always the case in Europe, especially not until the 19th century in many places, while the US has always been a wilderness area with religion.

nothing wrong with that

Well... as long as you're down with the jesus

True, the legal situation doesn't always reflect the social one...

... You're muslim aren't you?

I was trying to look up Scientology in Europe thinking they banned it but holy shit there are a lot of Scientology centers in Europe. especially in Switzerland considering it's size. And they have one in Jerusalem too.

nope

So you're okay with the idea that you can be fined and possibly arrested for getting drunk at a bar and then being a responsible human being and getting someone else to drive you home?

You don't have the right to be drunk in public in France (état d'ivresse publique et manifeste). If the police see you or are called you go in jail. I'm not kidding.

You don't have the right to do so in the US either, but we're talking about cops hanging out outside bars around closing so they can hand out tickets to people. Most places make exceptions for the bar and it's parking lot though since how the fuck else would you get home

Yeah, mormons are great. I think the people who bash on them have never actually spent much time around mormons and their only view of the religion was an episode of south park.

The lack of a state religion. I could elaborate, but I'm too sleepy. It had to do with rejection of the msinstream in societies with sufficient intellectual diversity and religious freedom

Damn, even New England is so high while it is the best part of America.