youtube.com/watch?v=qdPaNJ35CZo
youtube.com/watch?v=vxCAjEbQjiY
youtube.com/watch?v=hu1IOuPxZu4
youtube.com/watch?v=-7pMk4MiGj4
youtube.com/watch?v=RBvLHdelTa4
youtube.com/watch?v=7b_G5d2qsZA
youtube.com/watch?v=HWtHwRMxsfk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The one closest to me is more of an all-medium music store but it's pretty decent. The one actual "record" store in my area is small, loud, overpriced, and employing of condescending douches.

Pretty solid. They've got a decent selection of drone and left field stuff which I usually gravitate towards.

i dont have any local record stores here.
just some set of 25-30 dollars each records at books a million

It closed 20 years ago. I got an In Utero sticker from there. I don't know where the next closest one is.

Full of shitty dad rock. The biggest section is the Beatles section.

I live in a college dorm, and there's at least 4 record stores around me. They all have a pretty good selection. One of them has a sizable noise section. I've also bought a number of records from yard sales around the city.

>ere's at least 4 record stores aroun
:/

My local went out of business aaaages ago, like maybe 10 years. There are none left around here. Now it's an Anytime Fitness™

So many memories ;_;

pretty cool

I work in a sort of chain of record stores.

It's fucking great that my job is I get to talk to people about music all day and all the people I work with know a lot and care about music. We recommend each other stuff all the time.

It's gonna be shit when I quit and I won't have anyone to talk to about Cocteau Twins and Built to Spill

It's literally a Barnes & Noble
They have the essentials though, it's ok. Amazon for everything else

Three stores and one antique shop with a huge selection. Only one of the stores is any good though.

You can talk with us ;_;

I guess user doesn't like us ;_;

just moved in to a place with one right down the street
they have nothing made after 80s is what it seems like

lots of rock,jazz and blues selection small amount of hiphop/r&b

dad rock galore

pretty good, they supposedly have 1-2 million records in their warehouse.

there are two ones i can think of right off the bat:
>school kids records
this place, when it had it's original store was AMAZING. right next to (arguably) the most popular university in our state, it had a perfect location and was very well established for fucking years.
and then our city fucked it ALL up by tearing down school kids and all of the local establishments next to it and building student dorms and a fucking CVS/Ihop shitchain shit building of shit.
i actually work right next to the new school kids location (grill operator at a restaurant) and it sucks now. their service is still great but their selection isn't interesting anymore.
>nice price
this place is awesome and their selection is always really cool and its refreshed and updated all the time. but their staff is pretentious/kind of rude.

it's for plebs

this store probably has great selection of new stuff but does it give you that crate digging experience of finding a gem for $1-2 dollars?

serious question i always watched those whats in my bag video and it looks like a cool shop

It's all right, they sell stereo equipment (new and vintage), laserdiscs, CEDs, and other weird shit.

small city, brazillian countryside. the owner's a pretty cool guy, he's left in pic related

Sounds like the shop from high fidelity

Kinda, except the guy who worked there was way more hipster

Cocteau is picking up around here and most indie fans have heard about built to spill I think

They've got a massive bargain bin near the back

HMV's suck

It's great if you're mainly into anything that falls under the "indie rock" umbrella, decent amount of local stuff rotating in and out too. They have some other sections too, but much smaller. My only source of ire is there insistence to group the vast majority of their electronic music, ranging from things like aphex twin to skrillex, under the "dance" section.

I got a Hastings by me where I get all my newer records and all my CDs

Then there's an antique store where I get all my classics. The people who work there are old but they aren't assholes. They aren't too overpriced, either.

what's the verdict on Bull Moose

good records in dallas, it's pretty alright but it rarely gets restocks of older stuff and is constantly picked clean of anything notable
always orders whatever cool new lps come out though

It's pretty average, however I saw Spiderland by Slint in there the other day, which I thought was pretty out of place.

End of an ear is great and even has a wall for rare records. Waterloo is okay but caters to the more normal audience. Encore is good for metal but the rest is waterloo ish. Antones is great for old rnb 7 inches but a tiny location

Breakaway Records is pretty decent too but End of an Ear is my favorite

Pretty good. I was wearing my Foetus shirt and one of the people working there recognized it and complimented me. Picked up Fun House while I was there.

it's shit but i still go to it

Hah, I'm originally from Launceston. All things considered, Mojo is pretty dece

Ignore this pretentious fuck.

Amoeba has a really good selection of music desu senpai

Blackbyrd Myoozik. Not fantastic in terms of selection or prices, but the people behind the counter are really nice and are willing to give 10% discounts to regulars. I once got to hang out and pretend I worked there for a few hours, bretty gud times.

My local urban outfitters has all the greats XD

AM is like, my bae album!!!

The people there are pretty nice but the selection is not the best, not even mostly dad rock just not a whole lot of interesting XD patrician meme music

breddy gud. I found the Ventolin pt. 2 CD for like 3bux there a while ago. I'd been missing that in my collection for over ten years. They even have Nurse With Wound discs but I haven't bought any. Chrome on re-issue. Maybe the last thing I got was Cheetah.

There is another one about a half mile down the road where I've bought most of RDJ's recent output. I got the Aleister Crowley spoken word recordings there, and an LP version of the bootlegged Caustic Window LP. I was on happy-hour so they gave me 5bux of free vinyl; I selected Switched on Bach and a generic classical LP containing a rendition of the 1812 overture.

It's pretty good how the let you order things through them. Will probably do that for NMH or some other classic.

calgary one right? nice little place.

The one by my apartment is pretty good. It's a successful chain; Zia records. They have a lot of stuff, books and movies as well as music, and a decent vinyl selection. Theres no point in buying anything from them though since everything is cheaper on amazon.

There's three by me. All of them aren't the kind that get new stuff, just things that get sold to them. two of them are purely for records, one has a buch of retro memorabilia. I was able to get Baroness' entire discography from one (before the purple album came out).

I work at a record store.
feelsgoodman

first picks on all the raer stuff

Criminal Records in Atlanta is the fucking bomb, found a lot of cool experimental electronic/noise stuff there

Tiny

Baltimore? Cause that seems to describe Sound Garden and True Vine pretty well

>tfw only Urban Outfitters and Barnes and Noble

Interesting. I was at the Barnes yesterday and they had Florence + The Machine's album. Should've gone it but no money mang

>going to Barnes and Nobel ever
>going to a store with no money

da fuq is wrong with you user?

yeah, sort of small, i haven't checked out recordland as much, but i'm just more a fan of the more home-y feel of blackbyrd.

Bull moose is great (reporting from 603)
my buddy works at the Salem NH location. The chain stomps all record stores.

The staff at End of an Ear was rude to me for no reason last time I went. Sucks since it's actually pretty good store.

I got a copy of King Crimson's Discipline there once for 10$ so it's not all bad

I found one in my town down the street, never knew it was there and I've lived here for years.

In Salem, OR, Ranch Records is really the only choice. Unless you want to deal with the old burnout in Harvest Music.

I tend to drive to Portland about once a month and hit up 2nd Ave or Mississippi Records. There's a comic book place that sells records now too. Can't remember the name of it though.

Poobah in Pasadena is a great little store, with some left field stuff, which I do enjoy. They also just give away old records in the front of the shop, you can take as many as you want.

it has a ton of punk, which i'm not super into, but there's one a bit farther which actually has a pretty decent black metal section

Is that Grimey's in Nashville? Looks a bit like it.

I work at a record store. Bumping to see if anybody will post it.

Waterloo exclusively

anything they don't have I buy from importcds.com

It's pretty good for a small-ish city

Iv found some great stuff at waterloo.

any locals shows coming up?

Wednesday, September 7
Cobalt, Mantar, Lions of Tsavo at the Mohawk [a] [m] [+] [inside, 9pm, all ages]

Friday, September 9
The Wild Now, Wiretree at Lamberts [a] [m] [+] [9:30pm, 21+]

>go to vegas for two days
>found a record store selling this for $500
>i almost bought it
How bad did I fuck up?

Ernie November in WY, it's the closest one to me
A lot of punk and new releases up front
Tons of hiphop and sampler fodder in the back

bretty good overall honestly

p cool. mostly about being a hot spot for local artists of all kinds of art and it helps that its the only one within a few towns.

cozy/10

Electric Fetus in Minneapolis is pretty great

Cheapo records also has a pretty nice range of music

how did you score the job senpai

looking for a record store/guitar shop job

I used to work for Cheapo here in Austin

completely insane warehouse as a result of basically zero inventory system

By pure stroke of luck.
Luckily I work for a big store that employs 20+ people. So that's your best bet is trying at the big stores. Usually stores only hire friends, or sane regular customers, which is rare because record people tend to be mentally insane. Pretty much kicks in when you start thinking about all the records you don't have, as opposed to appreciating the ones you do own.

It's not a very glamours job and you bretty much have to dedicate all your life to knowing useless pressing info.
The store I work for is super cereal tho, not like anything written in Hi Fidelity or those record movies.

so you really have to know your shit there? is it a chain or something or just a serious place?

also were you the friend or the regular?

Anyone ever been in the last record store in Santa Monica? I was thinking about taking a trip out there since it's like an hour away. It'd be cool to stop by.

I was a regular who got lucky.
Not a chain but a very serious place.
Great people to work around. Makes up for the shit pay and the intensity of the work

recordland is pretty awful, dude

Newbury Comics used to be so good man. It seems like the Bull keeps their shit straight. I love the Portland, ME flagship so much.

Mobile Records in Mobile, Alabama. Run by this guy (en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Glass). Not good for hip hop or non-70's electronic, but has a great selection of pretty much everything else. Fairly priced, never seen anything in there selling for more than the most recent on popsike. Honestly worth a trip to mobile just to visit MR. If anyone reads this and decides to visit, go to Ed's Shed for lunch, it's incredible.

Sounds like my kind of place

Slowly dying, but can find some good shit every once in a while.

fetus is overpriced too small and overrated... i love cheapo with all my heart

what i like in a record store

this

yeah although the "warehouse" was in the back and not open to the public naturally but this was in an old converted grocery store so it really was an actual warehouse. Very crazy to go through it although I never really found much that was too outrageous. Not like when I worked at Half Price Books when I took over the record section. There was a "machine gun nest" of records that among other things wound up containing two Butcher Blocks.

Two Butcher covers?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterday_and_Today#.22Butcher_cover.22

one was torn off and the other wasn't. You can see Ringo's black shirt underneath.

Yeah i knew what you ment
just never heard the term Butcher Block
I own a first and 3rd state.
That's crazy there was 2 in there
did you scoop one up>?

docs records fort worth wya

oh well thats what it was explained to me as. I actually didn't find them. Thank god they brought in somebody else to help me because I didnt really know what i was doing. So I didnt get one which they priced at a cool grand but I absolutely took them to the cleaners on comic books. Which they knew about but didnt care for some bizarre reason.

Considering it was only 350, you saved your ass dude.

blood-music.com/newspost/moonsorrow-14xlp-box-set-specs/

CD Central, Lexington, KY

Shit

There's a few great ones in Pittsburgh. Jerry's is my favorite, huge selection from practically every genre. Amazing books and records is a close second, not a huge selection but amazing for rare stuff and original pressings. I got 1st pressings of the first two Kraftwerk albums and a 1st mono Mexican pressing of Their Satanic Majesties Request, which was released with the title A 2,000 Años Luz De La Tierra.

>see my favorite record for $15 at waterloo a couple months ago
>no money on me
>forget about it
>"eh I'll buy it online"
>it's $100-$300 everywhere
>go back to record store
>it's gone

I'm a fucking dumbass.

I can't tell you how many times.
Now I just get everything no matter what.

SOLO vinili is cool, although tiny and a bit overpriced. This is compensated by the fact that it's in the basement of a tattoo studio and how nice the owner is.
My fav record store has to be Rock Bottom tho, I drop by every time I'm in Florence, the pricing is amazing

wtf what was it?

calgaryfags detected

Recordland is definitely pretty shit.
Melodiya is ok but depends what you're looking for.
Same with Sloth records, neither gets new stock often enough.

A friend of mine owns a store on 16th ave and centre street called Revival Records he has a pretty good selection. If you ever want metal cds...hoo boy go check it out I got some pretty hard to find ones there.

Inner Sleeve, now called Turn It Up Records is again decent if you are looking for certain things.

I just order shit online 80% of time.

any local favorites this year?

1. cross record - wabi sabi
youtube.com/watch?v=qdPaNJ35CZo
2. carrie rodriguez - lola
youtube.com/watch?v=vxCAjEbQjiY
3. shearwater - jet plane and oxbow
youtube.com/watch?v=hu1IOuPxZu4
4. randy rogers - neon
youtube.com/watch?v=-7pMk4MiGj4
5. taylor and the wild now - tides
youtube.com/watch?v=RBvLHdelTa4