You will never go on a 1 year cocaine binge, make one of the best albums of the 70's and not remember anything of it

>you will never go on a 1 year cocaine binge, make one of the best albums of the 70's and not remember anything of it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6vzBsYk93j4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

IT'S TOO LATE

>if you don't do this in the 2070s at a ripe old age you ain't doing life right

>ywn meet David Bowie

What if you did... but you don't remember...

this

i made station to station btw AMA

Imagine writing a song as good as Station to Station and then publicly regretting it for the rest of your life. I guess it represented a very dark time in his life though.

who else is on David Bowie feel train? been listening to his stuff for weeks now.

shame I never got the chance to go on some concert of his.

>making sure white stays
>the european cannon is here

What did he mean by this?

stains not stays

I started listening in about 2011 and have done ever since almost religiously. My dream was always for him to go on another world tour so I could see him live just once. "Bowie world tour" is probably one of my most searched terms into Google ever, I followed the rumours and updates for years on end.

When The Next Day was surprisingly revealed I was ecstatic because I thought a tour would follow, and then for Blackstar my hope was renewed again. I was absolutely crushed and devastated when he died, partly because it finally ended my dream of seeing him live but also because he's my biggest inspiration.

At least we'll always have that discography which keeps on giving.

Yeah, I've got a question.

There I was way back in 1978 sitting on a bench in Londons' Hyde Park and the man I idolised takes a break from jogging and sits on the bench next to me. I'm literally trembling and after the longest two minutes of my life I manage a nervous "Hello David......I'm a trainee chef at the Dorchester."

Your reply without even looking at me "That's nice."

Then you got up and proceeded with your jogging. You got a couple of hundred yards away, probably out of earshot, and I shouted "Cunt!" Of course you won't remember that brief meeting nor my calling you a cunt, so all these years later, here it is now -

"CUNT."

I went off you for a while after that, but then you released Scary Monsters which kind of rekindled the fire.

Drugs took a stronghold in my life around that time and I continued to pump you up to people who didn't really like you or your work, yet most of them grew to respect you on the strength of 'Monsters' & your back catalogue which was constantly aired. We spent the next couple of years high as kites eagerly awaiting your next decade of releases .

DO YOU REALISE HOW EMBARRASSING THAT WAS COD-EYE!! GETTING SHIT-FACED BECAME A NECESSITATION!!

While we're on the subject of royalty cheques, how about some form of compensation for the older fans who managed to stay alive throughout that period? Never mind the ones that died, they haven't missed much anyway.

It's confirmed that Bowie in 2015 recorded so much stuff they can make at least full 5 albums of it in next 10 years. Don't worry Bowie-drones we are saved.

That's great, it really is. I just wish he was still alive. Fuck, cancer sucks. The world never got to experience old man Bowie.

Why'd he regret writing Station to Station?

It probably reminded him of being a coke addict

He recovered well.
Robert Louis Stevenson died trying to open a bottle of wine while off his head on coke. He wrote Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on a week-long coke binge.

My heart would explode. I already have anxiety and I hate coke. Worst major drug there is.

>Ywn be a hack that pays people to make music for you and take credit
ftfy faggot

Sorry friend, but you posted in the wrong thread. The Grimes thread is that way.

This Also he was both extremely paranoid and obsessed with demons and is quoted as saying "it's the nearest album to a magical treatise I've ever written", something he now disapproves of. It also arguably contains imagery which could be construed as references to his Nazi leanings at the time.

As far as I know though he only regretted the lyrical content, he still regarded Station to Station and Low as his greatest records.

nope I posted in this hacks thread
every fucking album of his includes a list of other musicians playing the songs for him over and over

If you wanna talk about good musicians lets talk about kevin parker or john frusciante
people who can make albums by themselves
not overrated pop stars and their long list of studio musicians

>kevin parker
>john frusciante
hahaha holy shit

Oh no, he's retarded.

post a bowie album with him recording everything by himself
I'll wait

people should do IQ tests before writing something in bowie thread

Why does that matter?

A good musician knows their faults and tries to get others help to fully realize their vision.

>avoiding the question
did I strike a nerve?

because hes a hack thats why. he can't make anything of his own always other people's work.no different than beyonce and the other shitty pop stars

Revisited Blackstar again last week. Thought I wouldn't cry this time.
Cried a lot.

>kevin parker or john frusciante
You're supposed to make bait subtle

both lonerism and currents are already better than david bowie and the studio musicians ever made
show me one album where bowie did everything by himself

i could make a shitty album in my bedroom and play every instrument
it doesn't mean it would be good

is every single songwriter in a band a hack too, because they're not playing all the instruments?

David Bowie turned marketing into the essence of his art. All great phenomena of popular music, from Elvis Presley to the Beatles, had been, first and foremost, marketing phenomena (just like Coca Cola and Barbie before them); however, Bowie turned that into an art of its own. With Bowie the science of marketing becomes art; art and marketing become one. There were intellectuals who had proclaimed this theory in rebellious terms. Bowie was, in many ways, the heir, no matter how perverted, of Andy Warhol's pop art and of the underground culture of the 1960s. He adopted some of the most blaspheme issues and turned them upside down to make them precisely what they had been designed to fight: a commodity.

but kevin parker did and its excellent
>is every single songwriter in a band a hack too, because they're not playing all the instruments?
if they're in a band sure. if they're taking solo credit like bowie and beyonce. yes they're hacks

I don't know why that's relevant. Bowie fans adore his fellow band members. Mick Ronson, Mike Garson, Tony Visconti, Brian Eno, etc.

The thing you're failing to realise is that Bowie wrote the songs. The musicians he played with were talented on their instruments but they would never have been able to come up with the bizarre but brilliant melodies of Life on Mars, the dark, mysterious journey of Station to Station, the infectiously lively Young Americans, and so on. You don't just gather a few good musicians and get good music, you need a visionary writer. Subtract Bowie and what album do you think the Spiders From Mars backing band would have made? I certainly don't think it would be anywhere near as good as Ziggy Stardust.

is that german or sth?

youtu.be/6vzBsYk93j4

you just admitted he's a businessman who finds talent to do the work for him like a ceo of a company
like I said he's a hack profiting off other peoples hard work. just like any popstar of our times
fuck beyonce,kanye,bowie and the other hacks

Beyonce doesn't write. Bowie did write his lyrics.

His band made some good music but his lyrics and imagery were required to lift it. Take The Width of a Circle for example. As an instrumental track it would be a good hard/blues rocker. But add in Bowie's subversive and deviant lyrics about having sex with the devil and the song is given a new edge. Or take the song Heroes. As an instrumental it's a nice atmospheric piece, but it only becomes elevated to a masterpiece thanks to Bowie's astonishing vocal performance and crushing lyrics about forbidden love.

Beyonce however does not write her music or her lyrics. Silly comparison.

nope both of them are the same hacks
beyonce is credited to writing and producing her songs

Favourite Bowie song Sup Forums ?

Heroes for me.

She gets herself a writing credit by contributing probably a single line. What are the other writers there for? Oh yeah, to write the song.

Find me multiple writers on Bowie's songs.

1. Station to Station
2. Heroes
3. Young Americans
4. Suffragette City
5. The Man Who Sold the World
6. Golden Years
7. The Secret Life of Arabia
8. The Width of a Circle
9. Sweet Thing
10. Lady Stardust

My personal top 10

both are hacks like I said
lets look at kevin parkers list pic related

>meme impala
>babbys first psych band
Please stop I can't handle the bantz

weak reply bb
he recorded everything himself. show me bowie doing that ^.^

He's completely right though. As far as overall talent goes Parker is genuinely a better musician and engineer than Bowie. He'll never be the style icon Bowie was, and he'll probably never have the legendary status Bowie achieved, but that's irrelevant. Bowie was a product, you'd be naive not to see that. His "work" was largely not his.

Kek

grimes 100% makes her own albums. directs her own videos. bowie did none of that. you can argue his albums are better, but he was far less of an independent artist, he worked in a similar way to beyonce.

I can't tell if the people who think Bowie collaborated on every song he ever wrote are just memeing.

He collaborated a lot in the mid 70s but his glam rock period was literally all him, save for Pin Ups which is a mediocre cover album. That's seven albums of 99% self composed material. Even then, his collaborations weren't just letting other people write shit for him. He brought on specific musicians that he admired and respected, and let them bring to the table specific elements that they were particularly good at (Eno for tape manipulation and other studio trickery, Fripp for excellent guitar work, etc).

Except where Beyoncé has dozens of co writers for every song and Bowie hardly ever has co writers except for the odd song here and there like Fame

read this

Bowie basically made himself a product. It was his own skill as a songwriter that got him to that point.

>grimes and fucking tame impala fags start shitting on a thread out of nowhere

they have to be the most obnoxious, insecure fucks on this board

not our fault bowie is a hack who pays ppl to make music for him
if you had better arguments this wouldn't have happened

which of Bowie's albums do you guys associate with fall/winter/spring/summer

There might as well be a new Bowie thread this one's trainwrecking fast.

Summer - Lodger
Spring - Earthling
Fall - Low
Winter - Outside

>he uses studio musicians
lmao. who fucking care?

you :)

hahah

Spring: Hunky Dory
Summer: Young Americans
Autumn: Diamond Dogs
Winter: The Man Who Sold The World