What would the current state of Hip Hop/Rap be if this album never came out?

What would the current state of Hip Hop/Rap be if this album never came out?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1-Mjw96lYgU
soundcloud.com/user-29993602/beat7
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

good

it'd be much better

i agree, could definitely live without it

Not much different. Auto tune was always a lazy trend and continues to be one.

hip hop would still be dead, like it was in late 2008-2009 before the influence of this kicked in.

/thread

Bump

It'd probably be pretty much the same. I honestly don't think any single album is that influential. If the most influential album of all time was never released I still think music would be much the same.

I cant stand it when people hate a song purely for the fact that it has autotune in it
who cares if autotune doesnt require talent all that matters is that it sounds good

surely anything would be better than the current state of hip hop.

This, no single person has any real accomplishments, someone else would've done something similar at some point.

this times a million
same thing with people saying "rapping is nigger shit and they doi it because they cant sing"
fucking cringe

it'd be monumentally more boring

true, but autotune does sound like absolute shit most of the time imo. it has to be used tastefully, which I think Kanye did on 808s

that kind of thinking is wrong.

rap/hiphop is always evolving. Kanye west was so influential, he created his own branches of hip hop with each studio album.

well we wouldn't have drake, j cole, kid cudi, or any other "sensitive" rappers

>College Dropout, an album released in 2004, invented the concept of rapping about social issues

The fuck dude have you listened to anything other than memerap?

popularized it

social issues were always discussed even in gangster rap but it was always dismissed due to the content their music would have regardless.

This image gave me cancer, AIDS, and Zika

How is Eminem gangster or brag rap?

Yeah, just too bad all of his music suck

It has nothing to do with the talent for me, I just genuinely think it sounds awful.

>black eye peas
Why?

fpbp

wasn't eminem always ganster rap? the dude always talked about killing people and dissing people left and right and repping his posse.

it wasn't until mockingbird and relapse that his tone shifted.

Club rap. Everywhere.

Take Care would have never been made.

Real Nigga Hour wouldn't exist.

I would consider him horrorcore than gangster.

>Why?

i never said it was good. but BEP and Flo Rida were the ones that ripped pop music and sampled them on their raps. they were the epitome of pop-rap

which is in the umbrella of gangster rap, due to the simlar roots.

I guess. I just don't see him in the same category as NWA, or 50 Cent for example.

This is such a dumb cunt thing to say. The difference is Kanye did it and it was, and still is influential as fuck to this very day.

the same because all of these artists are traced back to wayne, soulja boy, gucci d4l, crime mob, the list goes on...

lol no it's not

yeah i know what you mean, but he says himself he was directly inspired by NWA and then the individual rappers careers like dre and ice cube.

he didn't follow in their paths completely, because again, rap is always changing he puts his own spin on it, however i don't think he was as genre-changing as Kanye was.

lil wayne and kanye were the two giant game-changers of the 00s, talented or not.

I find that it makes the artists who use it all sound too homogenous and makes tracks just corrny and tired. The exact problem is that it doesnt sound good to me. When you're listening to a rapper you are forced to listen to their personality, if they hide their personality then they can be interchangeable most of the time, just a variation of the same cliche sounds and high pitched whines.

youtube.com/watch?v=1-Mjw96lYgU

This hip hop group is directly influenced by Kanye, and the end of the song is a straight up 808s influence.

it's weird. every time i hear kanye i can't help but wonder how anyone thinks it's risky or innovative. it's all stuff that takes its sound from what was popular during the year or year prior then throwing kanye's dogshit lyricism into it.

Care to explain why you think Wayne has more influence than Eminem on the rap game?

You should commit suicide
I mean he definitely did that with YEezus copying the Money Store but I don't think he did that with MBDTF or any of the teddy albums

>kanye's dogshit lyricism
Throw yourself into an abattoir.

He's just always been on the right wave at the right time. He's obviously got an interest in lesser known rap too, for every innovative thing he's done there's been a group of artists doing something similar just before him.

MBDTF is good. i liked at least parts of all his albums. just never thought they were ever "out there" or "game changing" or whatever you want to call it. always feels very safe and commercially smart to me, which imo is respectable, but obviously there is a disconnect there for me because he gets praised for the opposite.

>safe
Yeah, MBDTF sure is safe, so safe that it was lauded for it's introspective nature, it's loud, maximal sounds and beats. Such boring, banger shit.

What about artists that use it, but don't need it? T-Pain for example.

what hip hop artist in the billboard 100 today do you think you'd be like "huh. it's almost eminem-ish?"

Puplic Enemy isn't popular?

what? eminem has next to no influence in the rap game

Those hacks?

A LOT better. 808s and Heartbreaks is an amazing album, but every artist to come out of it's influence has been shit.

Kid Cudi, Travis Scott, Drake, etc

yep. we wouldn't get garbage like drake or frank ocean's latest album

>hey looks these dudes were popular
>yeah but they were hacks so it doesn't count i guess? xd
poor bait

Was Public Enemy really that popular? They're boring as fuck.

yes, they've even been inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame

This is what Sup Forums is now days.

It wasn't when 50 Cent and G-Unit was running that era that time. Guys like Nelly and 50 never came back to their stride after Kanye dropped College Dropout

It's certainly loud, you got that part right.

probably not that different
808's was more of an influence to alt rnb than hip hop. i guess the sound of some of these rappers that fuse it nowadays would be different, like drake or anderson paak.

I don't mind 'muh real lyrical hip hop' dying yet at the same time I loathe trap clowns like future and travis scott and their hypebeasts, it's like everyone's getting paid to promote these trashcans

>yes, they've even been inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame

> rock and roll hall of fame

>What is BDP
>Who is KRS-One

This album was listened to by hip rap fans because kanye can't rap therefore it had zero effect on rap. It only affected the white college girl who don't listen to rap anyway

Nelly was a one hit wonder and 50 was bullied into hiding by the game

>dude someone else would just come along and do the same exact thing
It doesn't work like that retard

>Kanye invented social issues rap
wew

thats 80s and 90s shit tho
the point he was making was that in the early 2000s mainstream hip hop was dominated by gangsta rap like 50
he's not saying kanye invented rapping about social issues, just that he re-popularised a movement that wasn't really represented in mainstream hip hop at the time he released his first album

>sharing board with people like this

Being this retarded. it's like you think he made his 4 first albums by himself, he didn't he had the best producers in the game helping him write it. Yeezus is what happens when Kanye tries being innovative in his own, and it was shit. RZA and madlib are the ones who created a new genre

This can't be serious

This

Not saying that, just downplaying its influence. If 808s was never released, Drake still would have released So Far Gone. Sure, the instrumentals would have been a little different, maybe the lyrics too. It's not like every single hip-hop album since 2008 was directly inspired by 808s. And is it really that much of a stretch to say that someone else would have come along and done something similar?

soundcloud.com/user-29993602/beat7 give your reviews on this

he did though

So here go my single dog radio needs this
They said you can rap about anything except for Jesus

That means guns, sex, lies, video tape
But if I talk about God my record won't get played

Well let this take away from my spins
Which will probably take away from my ends
Then I hope this take away from my sins

Not that guy and that chart is retarded
But Yeezus is his second best album

I gotta admit thats some pretty good bait

completely same
possibly a bit better

That makes no sense. Most "gangster rap" brought up social issues. He did not invent "social issues rap". Fucking N.W.A. And Public Enemy brought up social issues way before Kanye. Who tf thinks this? Do you not even listen to rap?

>it was always dismissed
No. It wasn't.

Easily the most reddit post of the day

That's basically what Radiohead does/did, as pretty much any remotely successful "influential" music celeb. Just look at the list of their favorites, usually some obscure shit, nothing popular, or if there is something popular, it's prob not contemporary, that's because they always keep the pulse on what's new in the music world.

The reason they are successful isn't that they reinvent the wheel, it's the obscure guys that do it. The successful guys use the experience of these guys and concentrate it into something approachable.