Bands you tried to like

bands you tried hard to get into/like but couldnt.

ill start. sonic youth. gave their popular albums over a dozen listens each in the past 4 years. they have good songs but i dont consider any a classic start to finish. EVOL would be my fave 6/10 still has its flaws and its short.

What band for you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cAmWkWZiZ50
youtube.com/watch?v=p8cUIDXlS6s
youtube.com/watch?v=e5rAwQmCwJw
youtube.com/watch?v=PN6Ib9kT6g4
youtube.com/watch?v=pwQ_y1_wqSM
youtube.com/watch?v=2SOZX1Ha71k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

R.E.M., I have no clue why they are so highly revered, its all just so meh

Talking Heads. I like some music by them but I can't listen to a full album by them. I don't hate them, I even respect them and their reputation. But I just can't.

Sonic Youth is my favorite band lol

death grips and radiohead
not denying their talents, just isnt for me

Slint.

I tried. I really did.

Damn SY is my fav band, get why someone wouldn't like them though

only listened to automatic for the people and the exception of 4 songs, it was the most pukeworthy sugar-coated pop album. people on rym said it was one of the great alt. rock albums LMAO. "Everybody hurts" was AWFUL. Im afraid to try the rest of their discography.

Apparently "Monster" is their sellout album, then wtf was Automatic?

this
more listens

Somebody on Sup Forums who doesn't like Death Grips???

I love "The Bends" - seriously 10/10 and "Ok Computer" is pretty great too. Kid A is like 7/10. Rest of their discography is spotty. I don't really enjoy the rest.

Same here. Worst vocals ever. Some interesting songs but the lyrics and vocals lmao.

Murmur is better

Washing Machine is their best album start to finish imo, but Daydream Nation has really high highs. My problem with them used to be that I didn't like the poor recording quality and thought it was too quiet (especially the drums), but that sorta went away once I got some better headphones.

Also you can like a band and listen to individual songs without falling into the "I only listen to full albums start to finish" meme

GY!BE

I don't understand the appeal of post rock. I like ambient and I like slow music, but post rock at its slowest (which is like 75% of the time) just feels so.. nothing.

Yeah ill attempt it sometime. Better not disappoint or I am done with this band.

I disagree on the high highs. EVOL is better in every way for me.

I also have a good audio setup. Poor sound does not bother me. I love noise, no wave, black metal, etc.

Yes I do like some individual songs. But if an album is going to be considered a classic, it better be start from finish. I am objective. I don't consider an album with three 5 star tracks and then a bunch of 3.5 2.5, etc. IT has to be 5 all the way through.

f#a# is the only one I like by them. Its like the soundtrack to the apocalypse. Second track is fantastic. 3rd is pushing it in length. Unnecessary silent part if I remember correctly too.

tried to like them. spotty discography man. best album is 6.5 out 10.

Yes, there are people on this board that hate meme music. Crazy i know.

>I love noise, no wave, black metal, etc.
have you tried listening to sonic youth's no wave stuff? their later material might make more sense when you understand where they were coming from

I listened to self-titled because I always want to hear where a bands beginnings are. It was ok, again still prefer EVOL much more than anything else. Songs are just more memorable.

I did not listen to confusion or bad moon.

try confusion. their self titled isn't very good imo. but this thing is a no-wave staple
youtube.com/watch?v=cAmWkWZiZ50

I heard so much about Sonic Youth being really great when it comes to guitar oriented rock, but when I listened to it, I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to see how the guitars interact with each other on the albums, but no, just not cutting it for me. Hopefully Goo, Dirty, and Washing Machine do more for me.

They're a band who's interesting from a historical aspect rather than a musical (at least for me).

Post-rock isn't really slow music, just a lot of the more popular post-rock bands trying to emulate GY!BE. Here's some faster post-rock for you:
youtube.com/watch?v=p8cUIDXlS6s
youtube.com/watch?v=e5rAwQmCwJw
youtube.com/watch?v=PN6Ib9kT6g4
youtube.com/watch?v=pwQ_y1_wqSM
youtube.com/watch?v=2SOZX1Ha71k

>likes post rock
>doesn't like slint
>doesn't like sonic youth

user, i..

there's more interesting post-rock out there to be honest. I prefer the work David Pajo has done outside of Slint than he does in

ill listen to a few of these and see how it goes

Goo and Dirty did nothing for me. I'll attempt Washing Machine but I don't have high hopes.

Saucer-like, Little Trouble Girl, and Panty Lies were my personal fav tracks

have you listened to their second record? many great tracks there

op here, not him. I tried Automatic for the people and it was awful. They Murmur is second only to Automatic.

Sure hope this one and Murmur are much better.

word. washing machine is top three for them. rather ripped is quite underrated.

if the opening track on reckoning doesn't grip your ears..

its like an indie no wave album, its very different and overlooked.

Hope it does. The rest of the album better hold up too or REM goes into the dumpster.

joy division. Wow unknown pleasures maybe the most overrated record I have ever heard and I have heard A LOT of albums. The music on this album is forgettable. I love the cover though.

Now "Closer" that is a better album? A classic? No still some weaker songs. The second half though is 10x better than anything off Unknown Pleasures. The song "Decades" is a masterpiece, I will give it that.

Smiths and Morrissey's solo albums

Smiths is catchy and fun. Morrissey solo is god awful.

Velvet Underground

My friend said he had to listen to it like 10 times to "get it" but idunno if its worth the effort, I really dont feel anything for it

same here. One of the highest rated bands on most music sites, but still not one of my faves.

First album does have some classic songs.

the gift of white light is awesome.

I think my fave is self-titled. just more straight forward rock. I like murder mystery, after hours, and pale blue eyes a lot. Give it a 7.5/10

if you don't like rock, then you won't like them.

lul

wtf did you read my post? I like rock. I like the self-titled more because of that reason.

Same. Kim Gordon really ruins the band for me

To me, Spiderland gets better every listen, try not to focus on how he sounds as opposed to why he sounds like that.

14 listens so far not clicking.

I just can't