/mlb/ general:

Is there no worse feeling than having your team win the World Series on the road each and every single time? Edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

dodgers-giants.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodgers–Giants_rivalry
youtube.com/watch?v=w-35ghwAw90
youtube.com/watch?v=CLY16wmHdUk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

White sox

yes.

Getting punched in the face

>"Dynasty"
>including titles won by New York

lol

>your level of reading comprehension

sorry I was away for a bit with a stupid customer...

So, I'm watching the Red sox v royals game tonight as previously mentioned, what do I need toi know about these two teams going into this game and what players should I look out for?

Also feeling the need to watch this game american style so what snacks are ideal for this game? I'm thinking 4 tins of coors light, some chilli doritos with hot salsa dip and a fucking shitload of salted peanuts.

Oh come on thought you were serious?
This is one big fucking bait m8

Who /hasntbeenpunchedinthefaceinthelastfewdays/ here?

Not so fast, Bitchtista.

I am serious, nothing wrong with having a bit of fun is there

Look at the article on the left. Most of the little banners are from the New York Giants.

There is no fun in baseball. Ask bautista

So what do I need to know about the teams and what players to watch out for lad? I'm 100% watching this game and will be on /mlb/ after to discuss.

The Red Sox combine Chelsea's spending and bandwagon fans with Liverpool's smugness and "muh atmosphere, muh history".

The american league is up for grabs. Literally any team not from anaheim, minnesota, or new york has a chance (that includes you oakland, tampa bay and houston)

NL is very polarized. If you were going to bet on the season, stay out of the AL and put your money on either the cubs, nationals or mets. The NL west is losing bet.

>and let the shit posting replies begin

The american half of my family are all from philadelphia, what can you tell me about the phillies? I'm thinking I have no choice but to support them due to the family connection, but the rational part of me says watch a shitload of games first and see which team tickles your fancy

>So what do I need to know about the teams and what players to watch out for lad? I'm 100% watching this game and will be on /mlb/ after to discuss.
mlb.com has a free game of the day every day.

Does winning the leagues really mean anything or is all about the world series?

I'm watching it on BT sports m8, they show 10 MLB games a week here in the uk, show starts at 6.30pm gmt. I've decided to get into it in the divegrass offseason, could be a fucking great summer sport to watch if I enjoy it

Well for Dodgers fans, beating the Giants is like winning the World Series for them.

They're a delusional and desperate bunch, they are.

>beating the Giants is like winning the World Series for them.

Is that a california rivalry thing? Or is there more to it?

dodgers-giants.com/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodgers–Giants_rivalry

Yes and yes. You technically have to win your league before you can win the Worlds Eries.

30 teams in the MLB. Two leagues, American and National. 15 teams each. 3 divisions of 5 in each league. The winner of each division gets a playoff spot. The two non-division winning teams with the best record get a Wild Card spot (in each league, four WCs total). The Wild Card game is a one-off. The winner of that game plays the division winner with the best record in a best of 5. The other two teams in the league play a best of five. The winners then face each other in a best of seven. The winner of that has won their league and goes on to the Worlds Eries.

So: Five playoff teams per league. Two one-off Wild Card ganes (one per league). Four best of five division series (two per league). Two best of seven championship series (one per league). One seven game Worlds Eries.

Now would actually be a pretty good time to be a Philly fan. They're rebuilding but have some legit pitching and their games seem to always be decided by 1 run.

How much did the Cole Hamels trade help in this?

well I could go and watch them when I visit my family, that would be pretty based

Learn to hate umps. They all suck. Everysimgle one. You might be confused when you first start watchimg because you'll see the pitch tracks shows an onvious ball and the catcher even had to leave his crouch to get the thing but the ump will call it a strike. Don't worry its just part of the game.

Why not just have one league of 30 teams and the top 4 or whatever play off for the world series? Would that not be better? Or is there some historic reason behind this convoluted division/league thing?

So the umpires make bad calls all the time and it's just an accepted part of the game, like divegrass here?

Winning the American League or National League used to be a massive deal, because back in the day it worked more the same way that England's soccer league works. The team with the best record in each league won it and automatically went to the World Series. Now, with the playoffs, winning the league feels more like winning a semifinal, although it can still be a big deal if it's a rivalry game.

The Yankees-Red Sox ALCS in 1999 and 2003 are great examples of this.

youtube.com/watch?v=w-35ghwAw90

youtube.com/watch?v=CLY16wmHdUk

because you are being a faggot

Originally, there were two separate leagues:

-National League (founded in 1876)
-American League (founded in 1901)

Teams only played within their own league, and at the end of the season the team with the best record was declared league champion and advanced to the World Series to play against the other league champion. This was changed in the 1970s in favor of a bunch of stupid rules like playoffs, divisions, and interleague play, because whoever was running MLB at the time sucked.

Another question: does the team with the best record in their league across all three divisions usually win the league playoffs? Or is it often not them?

It doesn't really matter

How do you guys feel? Should the league winners be the only ones that go to the world series or do you prefer the current play off system?

League winners should be the only ones that go to the World Series.

So it's pretty random who wins in the league playoffs? Or does the team people think is the best usually triumph?

I hope you get Bautistaed on your way home tonight.

Reminder that 4 of the last 5 World Series that went to a Game 7 featured Wild Card teams (2 of them featured 2 Wild Card teams).

doubt I could take a punch like that as well as he did quite frankly, I used to box when I was younger and I had a bit of a glass jaw kek

Royals

Are the royals superman's team?

Cardinals suck, fuck off

You have an inquisitive young mind. So thirsty for knowledge! Drink from me, friend, and drink deep. As deep as you possibly can.

The Kansas City Royals are, indeed, Superman's favorite ball club.

It's not completely random, it's just that having the best record doesn't mean much. In general, I think the "best team" makes it to the ALCS/NLCS at least.

Money. More teams competing for more playoff spots (and more primetime playoffs games to be played) down to the last days of the season equals tons more money. That's it.

Lol, does he mention them in the movies or something?

Decent. The Ken Giles trade looks right now to be an absolute steal. Vince Velasquez looks pretty legit. They're also getting the first overall pick in the upcoming draft IIRC.

Without checking the numbers, the best team probably, statistically, has a better shot. But there are very often upsets. Especially in the WC and best-of-five series. A 100 win team could easily lose to a 90 win team they match-up poorly against. Or just one on a hot streak. Like the 2007 Rockies.

he's from Kansas lad, just logic innit?

Amir, is that you?

although your assumption that I could be a paki being British is amusing and fits nicely within the Sup Forums paradigm, I am in fact a white anglo saxon

Going for my lunch ameribros, will be back in half an hour with more baseball related questions.

if you don't like baseball then why are you in a thread about baseball

Calm down blockhead, there's a "make baseball fun again" movement championed by Bryce Harper and some other players, that's what they're referencing. I'm sorry you were born stupid and stayed stupid.

does england really eat cum sandwiches?

Yes, and the Yankees are God's team.

Sox have one of the strongest offenses in the league but the pitching is questionable. They are probably better than KC

top lad

>They are probably better than KC
Sad but true. Hopefully the big yard and cool weather can stave off the muh dingers meme long enough for the Royals to get something going, but even then, I don't know.

Serious question KC, what the hell is going on with their rotation? I mean I get that it's below average but holy fuck.

They tapped out all their meme magic on a WS win. Worth it.

Ventura needs to stop trying to be an iceman and go back to being a hothead. The 'pretending to be cool' thing doesn't at all work for him, and it shows
Players and coaches figured out Chris Young, who was a questionable choice in the first place. He also may be hurt.
Kris Medlen, god only knows. He's more than capable of being very good, but he's either lost his nerve, or the TJ surgery didn't take (for the second time), or he's gassy, or who knows what.
Hopefully they can turn it around. Dillon Gee looked... okay. Better than having Young or Medlen out there pitching batting practice.

It's not good.

Does KC have any pitchers in the farm who could potentially make starts? Because KC is still a good team but they won't win shit with their starters going 3 innings every night. I'm a little surprised at how much they've struggled thus far.

Burgertards - this is a sweep. If a game is lost in a series then it no longer qualifies as a sweep.

Do you understand, finally???

I have returned from my luncheon and have come furnished with baseball questions once more.....

Who is the current favourite to win the world series, or is it too soon for the bookies to make any calls?

What is your opinion on the favourite?

Who is THE best player in MLB and what is he worth in transfer fees?

Also what do you call the start of the game, like 'Kick-off' in football?

Do YOU understand what it means to sweep in 7?

>Cubs
>Love them
>Harper; I don't know what that means
>First pitch

your last question: "first pitch"

Additionally there is a ceremonial first pitch before the game starts that is thrown by a guest

Fuckin love baseball m8. Only sport i watch religiously. I could take or leave hockey and basketball. Fuck football though.

>I don't know what that means

It means what is he worth if another baseball team wants to buy him?

How does Harper rank alongside the all time greats?

Who is the best guest in your opinion that ever threw the first pitch?

Who is your favourite team? Do you watch every single game on telly? Do you go to any of the home games?

Another team can only by them at free agency, otherwise they leave as part of a trade. And as for free agency they can shop around to get the best deal.

Baseball is the only sport (of the big 4 in the USA) that doesn't have a salary cap, so there are some contracts that have insane amounts of money

Guys hes a fucking troll. Stop this now. Boring ass troll who sneaks in acouple meme questions here and there

Montreal expos you troll

Hands down 100% George W. Bush at game 3 of the 2001 World Series

In NY a month after 9/11 and Dubya threw a perfect strike. I honestly believe it was one of the greatest moments of his presidency because of all the meaning behind it

You should watch it on YouTube.

So you are not allowed to buy players from other teams if they are under contract?

I am not a troll, I am genuinely interested, I need a summer sport to watch, if you think I'm a troll then just don't reply to me and I will speak to the lads that do want to talk, no harm done

Hey dumb American's what even is this bad sport lol? You use a club? Why is that? Why not just use a slingshot? Why are Americans so dumb? Why is baseball so bad? Did you eat enough today? Did I mention you're stupid?

Dont ask who was the best opening pitch if you're not a troll

Do you guys like soccer? Did you know that soccer is #1 out of all sport's in le world? Do you dumb and fat American's even know what a sport is lol? Did you know that baseball is bad? Just asking some innocent questions you dumb fat fucks.

Why is that a troll question? Just pure curiosity on my part bruv, we just don't have anything like that in british sports so it's interesting.

Fuck off

Well, technically they could. If the player doesn't have a no-trade clause (or waives it) a team could trade them for pretty much anything. Say Player A has 100 million on his contract. Team B trades Team A 100 million dollars for Player A. Team B would still have to PAY Player A the 100 million on his contract though.

Normally, only incredibly shitty players get swapped for cash. Nobody trades anyone of value for anything short of draft picks. Hell, often a contract is so onerous that a team will pay another team to take it off their hands. Say a player has 80 million left over 4 years. His team could send him and 20 million to another team (for some dogshit prospect) just so they don't have to pay him to play for them anymore.

But barring felony conviction, whatever team a player is in has to pay their contract. Some do have buyout clauses though.

Ideally, in my opinion, all expansion teams should be dissolved and the two leagues should be made up solely of the original 8 teams in each league. The central division should be eradicated also and have 4 teams in an east and 4 teams in a west division of each league. The regular season schedule would be play the 3 teams in your division 21 times each, the 4 teams in the other division 15 times each and the 8 teams in the opposite leauge 5 times each. This would be much better and we'd get rid of the Blue Jays, Rays, D-Backs, Rockies, Padres, Angels, Asstros, Nationals, Mets, Mariners, Royals, Brewers, Marlels and the Rangers.

Right, so big money transfers don't happen like in european soccer? Is all the excitement around player acquisition based around the draft then?

They do happen, but in free agency.
For example when Max Scherzer's contract was up with the Tigers there was enormous speculation on where he was going to go. The Tigs offered him a ton of money but the Nats offered him more.

The draft in baseball really isn't anywhere near exciting as the draft for NFL, or even the NBA desu

>not inviting your bros and having an mlb draft party

Stay Casual

Jesus are you 75?

Right, for hardcore MLB fans it's still a big deal, but I'm just saying for the average sports fan the NFL draft stands on its own for relevance and importance. And a lot of that comes from the NFL's absurd pageantry in general.

I don't know how they happen in European soccer. But big money deals happen during free agency in the offseason. Teams bid by offering contracts to players not currently under contract. There can also be trades, but like I said only dogshit nobodies get traded for anything less than other players and/or draft picks.

The big money free agents often get no trade clauses. Or limited no trade clauses (with exceptions to teams they'd be willing to play for).

Also, the draft isn't nearly the big deal it is in other sports. There are a LOT more baseball players than hockey, football or basketball. Only the first round really draws attention. Because baseball prospects take years and years and years before they even make it to the majors - let alone before they git gud - they don't draw the same attention as guys in other sports who join the team from the go and can impact that season or the next.

Very rarely do players reach the majors within two years of being drafted, and even then those are top 10 picks, usually with a few years of college ball already. Bryce Harpers and Alex Rodriguezs are once-in-a-decade cases.

Yeah i was totaly fucking around... i watch it in the background until they call a buzz name and i watch said guys highlights untill i passout alone on my couch. Thats how i do mlb draft. But not everyone can be as die hard as me

It means you're misusing the term like a complete spastic.

Ok so do players get drafted when they are younger by the MLB teams and they play for associated farm teams who develop them in the lower leagues until they are ready for their parent team in the MLB? Is that how it works? What sort of age are the usually ready for the MLB?

>I don't know how they happen in European soccer

basically any team can buy any player off any other team, but there are only two transfer 'windows' in a year when they are allowed to do it, in the off season during summer and a 'window aof about a month in winter. Basically they offer money for what they think the player is worth based on his ability, age and current length of his contract to effectively 'buy out' his contract and if the club accepts the player and his agent then negotiate a contract with his new club.

Anyone who thinks Jeff Bannister didnt plan out all of sundays events beforehand is a fucking idiot. He should be suspended, fined and possibly fired. Complete scumbag. Worst manager in the majors.

The NL contender is probably gonna be cubs. The AL has a lot of contenders for the World Series