Just listened to this for the first time, probably the edgiest thing I've ever heard

just listened to this for the first time, probably the edgiest thing I've ever heard

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z6nqDdiRTWE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

oh look an thread

not even being contrarian for the memes and (You)'s

I think this album is overrated. It is good, but I think it doesn't have that many great songs. From Reznor I prefer Broken or even Year Zero.

lol

I'M NOT A SLAVE TO A GOD is the CRAWWWWWWWWWWWLING of the 90s

This is also my problem with this album and a lot of NIN albums is the lyrics. While Trent makes great music and his albums have great production the lyrics are pretty cringe.

plebdar is off the charts

but the music is impeccable

>listening to music for lyrics

why do people do this

We're all a little edgy

> I'M NOT A SLAVE TO A GOD is the CRAWWWWWWWWWWWLING of the 90s

That's a Marilyn Manson line from 2000.

In terms of its cohesiveness and concept, it's probably Trent's best work. Everything else he's done has been nothing but self-parody, TDS is the only one of his records I can take seriously (apart from maybe The Fragile)

His misery isn't for you to fucking judge and pretentiously think you can fault it if it doesn't live up to your arrogance by how it's articulated you're cringe fuck you.

I wouldn't think most NIN fans give two shits about Trent's lyrics, even in his most personal tracks.
He is one of the best producers America has to offer and he only seems to get better in that department with every release, especially since he cleaned up.

Year Zero through to Hesitation Marks, even his recent soundtrack work is top notch.

TDS is a great concept album thematically and sonically, but yeah the lyrics are dreadful except for Hurt and the title track, but that's part of the fun, it's why I like NIN, it's why Prince and Bowie are such a big influence to his sound, the cheese is a crucial factor to what makes Trent kinda endearing.

This is probably the best industrial album of all time

fite me

This

NIN is like being a fan of B-movies. The production is what makes the music good, but the edgy cheese is what makes it fun and over the top.

I never got why people said his lyrics were cringe

Like some of them are "God is dead and no one cares, if there is a hell I'll see you there" is certaintly cringe.

But what about Closer? I think the lyrics work really well with the song and it wouldn't be what it is without the famous "I wanna fuck you like an animal, I wanna feel you from the inside".

Yes occasionally the lyrics aren't that amazing but the production and the song crafting is god tier on TDS.

My bad

The lyrics are strong, simple and affective. He's not pretending to be some epic poet, he has humility.

Sup Forums is fucking pretentious

Calling something that has emotion edgy, is pretty edgy.

>i don't identify with the lyrics so they're bad!

TDS really effectively captures a certain frame of mind. you don't have to have experienced that frame of mind to appreciate an artistic rendering of it. christ you faggots literally don't understand aesthetics 101.

>i don't identify with the lyrics so they're bad!
Any lyrics about I or Me are juvenile and that is this whole album.

>I don't understand it

pretty sure we've all experienced being 14 and thinking we hate the world, which is the picture this album paints in the lyrics

sure, and it does so quite effectively. why is that a bad thing? are you just so ashamed of that phase in your life that anything which reminds you of it forces you to cringe and run away?

>why Prince and Bowie are such a big influence to his sound
Trent must be having a rough year

youtube.com/watch?v=Z6nqDdiRTWE

kek

It sure as fuck doesn't capture their arrogance.

>TDS really effectively captures a certain frame of mind
of a 9th grader

see

>why is it a bad thing
Is a grown man watching Teletubbies a good thing?

nice false equivalence fagwad

a grown artist effectively capturing the frame of mind of a toddler would be quite commendable though, yes

>nice false equivalence fagwad
How so?
>a grown artist effectively capturing the frame of mind of a toddler would be quite commendable though
Not if the aesthetics of mature lyrics don't match the aesthetics of more advanced production techniques. It becomes a fault, or a sign of the man-child mentality. Which is it?

Linkin Park and Papa Roach do the same thing and Sup Forums hates them for it

>mature
*immature, obviously

You're the kind of guy who'd put down Sound and the Fury because you thought it was for actual retards

Nice argument

Thanks

Is this the edgiest non-metal album of all time?

I can understand why you related to the juvenile lyrics.

I don't typically agree with rage posts but you're absolutely correct.

I don't typically rage post.

Because I'm smart enough to understand Faulkner ? : )

Saying something is edgy doesn't constitute as valid criticism OP.

What

Nah

ITT: Triggered eyeliner using mallgoths

I'm disgusted with how people are repulsed to empathize with things, even out of consideration of something they must judge, at least out of sympathy if it's really so terrible. Because it's not "muh aesthetic". It's just demonic how some people are.

ITT: triggered 20 somethings ashamed of their teenage angst, taking it out on Trent

Sup Forums can't into aesthetics, whouldathunkit

>Implying NIN isn't the velvet underground of the the 90's

>I only listen to the most lyrically sophisticated indie rock and hip-hop

It's not a bad edgy, it's a concept album about a man going through a downward spiral, these are things people actually think and go through

There's good edgy and there's bad edgy, this is good edgy

this

some people pull inspiration from deep depression. If the words have meaning to them, that's all that matter. They spark additional musical ideas. Some aspects of the songs creation might be reliant on a certain combination of works, and not necessarily the meaning behind them.

Nigga what

yfw there are probably andrew jackson jihad fans commenting on trent's lack of lyrical prowess itt

Yes it is very edgy, you are aware "edgy" is bot an insult or soemthing inherently bad.

>And it feels like we're living in that split-second
>Of a car crash

I love the man, but he never got that better at lyrics; even when he comes close to something great, and the rest of the song works out perfectly, (someway,) somehow he manages ruin the whole thing with a single stupid as fuck line. Every time.

>Implying that's not a great line

Bad music can't be made good with good lyrics, but good music can be made better with them

Embrace the edge faggots

Why is edgy a criticism? Should everything be socially in tune and acceptable? You get piss poor art if that's the case.

It could be great on a song like 1,000,000.

With Zero Sum it's an ear-sore, totally brings me out of the moment. Almost "down the path we had chose"-tier.

This.
I can understand why you and many others may find this too edgy to stomach, I thought the same thing on my first listen, but it's not "CRAAAAWLING INNN MY SKINNNN" tier because it's unique in that it tells a linear, abstract story about a man in conflict with himself. And when you found yourself in that same conflict, it starts to sound really authentic. Even when you're past that phase, whether it happened in high school or college or quarter / midlife crisis or whenever, you'll be able to look back at it fondly.

I haven't returned to this album in a while because I'm pretty happy with myself right now, but it's still one of my favorites. It's amazing how effectively and broadly it can summarize any downward spiral towards self-loathing and in the case of the album, sex addiction and suicide. And if you think that's way too edgy of a topic that's okay, I do get it, it's not for everyone.

NIN is one of my favorite artists (partially for nostalgia value) and this isn't even the first example I'd point out as too edgy by him. Pretty Hate Machine is cool but I can't listen to "That's What I Get" without cringing and laughing.

That's What I Get isn't edgy though, it's just cheesy and dramatic.