Americans sharing this unironically

>Americans sharing this unironically
God, I hate my country.

This is the norm. I regret that 8 years ago I went studying to be a lawyer. Better to go to serve in the Navy.

I served for 8 years, fuck serving alongside people that did not volunteer to be there.

I wish conscription were a thing so that I could do something respectable with my life. I'm too pussy to do it out of choice

I actually think this is a good idea for you yanks. Might turn you less jingoistic and might kill the "soldiers are literal heros" idea.

>Might turn you less jingoistic
Lol fuck no

might make them lose weight too

Why do you hate our mercenary army?

nobody else will really care if americans go with it

yeah

now that I think about it it's better if they don't do it, I like my yanks fat and naive

>land of the free
>"patriots" want a forced military
Topkek America
I also hate my country

Conscription only works in countries that never fight any wars and Russia.

DO YOU SUCK DICKS user?

freedom of speech bro
fuckin stupid speech, but still

they forget about their wights tho

I'm OK with so long as it only applies to immigrants.

Want to be an American? Come fight for us for 4 years. Then you're in.

It worked for Rome.

But why would you want to be on a rustbucket Russian ship tho

there's literally nothing wrong with instilling survival & defense skills, along with a sense of civic/national solidarity. and this is coming from a life-long progressive liberal.

Freedom is fake.

I'd be okay with that.

>It worked for Rome.
Remind me again how Rome fell?

Pretty sure it should apply to everyone who wants full citizenship. Just because your mother gave birth here doesn't mean you've done jack shit for this country

You got him there.

let's change the premise a bit, what if it was 2 years in the national guard

It lasted over 500 years. And Brasil?

>it ain't me starts playing

That would work if the USA did not deploy the national guard to warzones.

We're getting there

Yes military service is fun. :^)
You get to sleep in rusty 1960s beds in a room together with 20 others.
You can experience nature in exciting 48hour combat simulations.
And you can learn how to use guns civilians aren't allowed to own anyway.

What a waste of my lifetime...

ur mom's fake

I'd say we do the same deal as in WWII, you guys go fight and we pacifist mexicans we'll take care of things home.

Don't fall for the mandatory consctiption builds character meme

Israel would be Scandi tier if we didn't have mandatory service.

Explain your reasoning breh

are you a fucking pussy user?

>Israel would be Scandi tier if we didn't have mandatory service.
No you would be an Arab hellhole with food shortages every 5 years, Israelis NEED conscription to keep their country alive.

>Conscription for 2 years, no exceptions

What a hilarious meme

I think the point of the image macro isn't to make conscription forced, it's that if everyone was conscripted they'd want to give a shit about veteran benefits. The way veteran's are treated in America is pretty horrible for what is supposedly a very patriotic nation.

>Conscription only works in countries that never fight any wars and Russia.

Willing soldiers beat conscripted soldiers pretty hard so I can see why nations that fit your description so it (they have to come up with a meme force that ultimately won't amount to much).

Arabs can't fight for shit.
Israel already has enough willing fighters.

>2 years
Good luck with trying to find anyone to actually go through that bullshit

>veteran's "benefits".

Getting a disability pretty much fucks you hard. Especially if you did a trade while in the forces. not to mention the high amount of unemployment and physical/mental issues post duty.

I literally rather fucking die from eating a AIDS infect porcupine than do that.

>God, I hate my country.
Yet you expect to receive the same rights and privileges as those who have served their country?
Yeah, "Ironic"

Nah, all it'd do is create more draft dodgers tbqh, just like Vietnam.

It does seem a bit odd that we are so gun obsessed but oppose conscription.
It wouldn't be horrible if we were properly trained for our favorite hobby.
Still wouldn't want to do it though.

>believe in the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
>believe that the government should be able to take away your liberty and pursuit of happiness (and possibly life) for mandatory military service

Pick one you authoritarian fucks

It's really about freedom, as stereotypical as it sounds. Mandatory military service, much like mandatory anything except at most taxes and occasionally jury duty, is Unamerican, and we do somewhat idolize military service. Basically it boils down to "you should, but shouldn't have to."

I disagree because conscription is literally slavery where I'm expected to put down my life if need be.

You guys are entering a third Bush jr. term. I remember this stuff was all over the place back then.

We've only ever used the draft in five conflicts (Civil War, WW1, WW2, Korean War, and Vietnam), and in all of them except for WW2 there was large opposition and resistance to it.

We've had conscription several times in US history and aside from WWII, it nearly always turned into a case of "jam the square peg in the round hole".

Pedro, don't forget to water the tomatoes and olives, or your economy will collapse.

the large conscription army is one of the main reasons why yugoslav economy went to shit after 1960s

To sink American ships!

Oh, you do a lot by arguing with teenagers on obscure internet websites.

It wasn't much of an economy in the first place then considering conscription is the cheapest form of army there is aside from having no army at all.

Forced labour in Uzibekistan fucks up it's economy hard. Life just stops when the government is like "everyone pick cotton". On top of that there's on need to upgrade equipment or get new modern tech because you have a labour pool of forced folk to do it (many kids)

They do this every ~September I think.

having 800.000 conscripted soldiers doesn't sound cheap to me t b h

800k conscripts that are paid peanuts are cheaper than 100k professionals that will get be paid more and claim benefits for life.

>don't pay them salary
>feed them cheap shit
>make them do all the menial labor
>no money for vacation so vacation unnecessary
>if they refuse take them behind the outhouse and shoot them
Cheap as fuck.

800k conscripts that aren't really eager and willing.

Moral goes a very long way.

huh it seems that yugoslav conscription was a bit different than the one in the west

Did you actually pay your conscripts? Lol. We don't pay ours even now.

yeah, people also tell stories about the quality of food and equipment there. manual labor was also mostly reserved for civilian volunteers (youth actions and so on)

Conscription was so widely detested here that Jimmy Carter was pressured into granting amnesty to all the draft dodgers in Canada.

>Moral goes a very long way.
Towards what? The quality of the potato peeling?

That does sound inefficient as fuck - high number of unmotivated conscripts that waste as much money as proper soldiers.

the conscripts almost forced yugoslavia into war with italy (and whole nato for that matter) in 1947 over fucking trieste

>Start wars
>Get mad when soldiers get recruited for them

????

Do you people ever not want bloodshed?

Conscription USUALLY builds character, but there's always some asshats who can't be helped. It works for the majority.
We have conscription too, I don't see how you would be on our level if you got rid of it.

a) Vietnam was a highly unpopular war among the people, both because Vietnam wasn't a direct threat to the US and because it happened while the whole hippy thing was going on. Remember, the US Government doesn't necessarily exactly align with Americans.
b) There is a big difference between recruitment and conscription. As said earlier ITT, conscription other than for WW2 has always encountered significant resistance among the American public, and the majority of our wars have been fought entirely with volunteers.

the top god of the serbs was dažbog, slavic god of death and darkness, so make your own conclusion

I am morbidly obese.
If they tried to force me into military service, would they force me to not be fat or would they just feel silly trying to make me do PT?

Why do clapistanis always take the fucking bait

are you guys completely retarded?

>tfw just remembered that you elected trump into office and anything is possible

Depends on how motivated your drill sergeant is. A good sarge can do fucking miracles. We had a dude in my regiment who was about 125kg when he was conscripted, he lost more than 30kg in three months.

We don't need conscription for fighting because we do it well enough voluntarily. Same thing with baiting.

What I'm saying though is what if I don't want to willingly lose weight? If I just continued to eat enough to maintain a large size, what would they do about it?

True, although I don't see what wars he could cause, especially those serious enough to warrant a return of conscription.

We have conscription too. The saying is "the army fix nobody" is a constant here. Heard a lot of colonels saying the great qualities the army inputs into the conscripts and heard way more privates saying it does not change anything in the person. I tend to believe the ones that used to be conscripts more than the ones dealing with inside politics.

What I saw in our army is that the ones that are hardworking by nature keep being hardworking. The ones that aren't work hard when ordered and avoid work when no one is noticing.

Probably Norway treats conscripts like human being instead of cheap labor that cannot refuse work like in Brazil, Russia, etc, so your views might be different than mine.

what has never risen
can never fall

>implying the size of your rations and the time you have to eat them isn't limited
Kek. If a conscript isn't hungry and deathly tired at all times during his training it means that his drill sergeant is slacking off.

>What I saw in our army is that the ones that are hardworking by nature keep being hardworking. The ones that aren't work hard when ordered and avoid work when no one is noticing.
This. Those who want to fight in a war will enlist. Those who don't will find a way to escape the draft, either legally (deliberately failing aptitude/physical tests) or not-so-legally (overstaying a visit to Canada)

>God, I hate my country.
kys

>rations
Do they not have stores in military bases in Russia?

conscription isnt that outrageous, dont be so dramatic

Mine did, but getting there for a fresh conscript was pretty much impossible. After finishing basic training you got to go there a couple times a week, if you didn't fuck up of course, after half a year of service (and old draft leaving home) it was free game.

What people in first world countries and superior nordic countries mean by building character in the context of conscription is increasing stress tolerance, teaching basic independent life management, learning how to deal with tedious and unpleasant situations, increased social interaction and physical fitness.

Arguably in third world countries all these things come naturally to everyone just by living in a third world country so from that angle it's completely useless to them.

I don't think it should necessarily be military service, but I'm ok with 2 years of some kind of service to qualify to vote and participate in a comprehensive welfare program.

You've never met a US military veteran. There's plenty of them from the south.

>have epilepsy
>when WW3 breaks out I won't be conscripted

Feels pretty good, I'll shitpost with you all while you die in the mud

>implying handicaps won't be made to walk in front and stamp the mines

National service should be introduced to the UK for anyone not in work, training or learning.

As much as I would hate it, it would probably do a lot of good for the country. Look at South Korea or Finland.

Free will is amyth.Religion is a joke. We are all pawns, controlled by something greater.

MEEEEEMS

You don't need conscription to do that and that's just subpar parenting to dump that on the state to do it.

> I'm ok with 2 years of some kind of service to qualify to vote and participate in a comprehensive welfare program.

That's a stupid idea though.

800k willing soldiers getting paid outperform conscripts.
That's why militarizes that have money problems tend to have corruption or shitty soldiers.