/prod/ - that snare edition

previous thread Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, bandcamp, or anything else where there is another thread already for it unless you are asked.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M&list=RDatvtBE6t48M

Stuck for inspiration? Try this.
oblicard.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_Strategies

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/dsx5xtpi
clyp.it/43zhyd5f
clyp.it/dkqhmwu3
clyp.it/kr0hftks
clyp.it/pxat23ff
clyp.it/qhqeds40
youtube.com/watch?v=EfyAlIQifaU
youtube.com/watch?v=_XUiJi5153Y
clyp.it/40myjvop
clyp.it/oakd5mal
clyp.it/iiddtuc0
clyp.it/tbyesi23
clyp.it/x4owlqcg
clyp.it/xhwoilee
youtube.com/watch?v=CBY0bZWKehQ
vocaroo.com/i/s02wsUY1SjAZ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck the snare, what about the kick? That fucking kick is never tight enough.

what did he mean by this

I'll wait till somebody rips it off and sells one for a quarter of the price.

I would buy it for five bucks, then sell it later to a meme museum.

bump

Greetings! Czech it.

clyp.it/dsx5xtpi

P.S.: Just fixed the snare's low freqs, so that has been attended to.

the ms-20 ESP is sick shit

just as a lil example here's a dry loop vs put through the MS-20 and a bit of spring reverb

clyp.it/43zhyd5f

#triggered

Oh man kicks are a pain. But that feeling when you get it right, it's orgasmic.

lol Sup Forums is talking about electronic music

Fuck off with your multi-board shitposting Straya.
People who cares what Sup Forums thinks are in Sup Forums.

i dont care what they think, it's just funny

don't bully pol

pol/ is a board of peace

Been trying to make some breaks/random syncopated drums This is pretty much just an intro/background at the minute, the main backbeat hasn't been laid on it, and none of the synths.
clyp.it/dkqhmwu3

Any advice?

lol Sup Forums is so thin skinned

What can I add to to this to keep up that organic lofi feeling? was thinking a subtle 303 with reverby-reverse delay

clyp.it/kr0hftks

Whatever. Got any advice on the clyp?

I have a hard time getting the kickdrum cut through a dense metal mix. It just doesn't sound right no matter how much I add bass. Any tips people? I already tried compression but with lame results.

lol

Posted this in the last thread but it died before anyone gave me any feedback. What do you guys think? I know the lyrics suck. They're just temporary until we actually write something decent.
>clyp.it/pxat23ff

Also, I recently found one of my very first tracks from 2007 when I was in like 9th grade. Felt like sharing.
>clyp.it/qhqeds40

That would sound dope as fuck if you threw in some humanized acoustic drums for like fills and stuff. I recommend EZdrummer or Superior Drummer for that.

Layer it with a really short 808 kick with a low pass filter on it at like 100hz. And add a hi pass filter to everything that isn't your kick and bass.

I missed it, what happened?

i was trying to link to a post in the Sup Forums thread

>clyp.it/pxat23ff
Sounds eighties as fuck. Only thing I would say is the drums sound too eighties. Those Toms and that clap.
Nice enough tune though.

You didn't miss anything, he should just learn to crosspost.

That post must have been a troll, he posted some of the simplest shit ever. So easy for the opposition to rip on it.

>That would sound dope as fuck if you threw in some humanized acoustic drums for like fills and stuff. I recommend EZdrummer or Superior Drummer for that.

Cheers for feedback. Ah normal sounding drums is a good idea. Won't be using any VST though as it's done in Reason. Sure I've got a decent enough sample pack somewhere, and to make it humanised I've got an LDP-8 to tap it in on.

I think most of Sup Forums thinks electronic music is cotton eye joe

>Sounds eighties as fuck.
That was the point. We were intentionally trying to make it as cliche as possible so I guess we succeeded.

>That would sound dope as fuck if you threw in some humanized acoustic drums for like fills and stuff. I recommend EZdrummer or Superior Drummer for that.
>Cheers for feedback. Ah normal sounding drums is a good idea. Won't be using any VST though as it's done in Reason. Sure I've got a decent enough sample pack somewhere, and to make it humanised I've got an LDP-8 to tap it in on.
Just don't overdo it on the acoustic drums. You still want it to sound mostly electronic. Here's an example of I think you should do (skip to like 0:52).
>youtube.com/watch?v=EfyAlIQifaU
You hear that really subtle acoustic drum fill in the background? Something like that.

Aren't most metal kicks eq'd to remove low end? A lot of those frequencies would clash with the guitars and bass. Most metal kicks seem more midrange punchy than low-end boomy.

>Here's an example of I think you should do (skip to like 0:52).
>>youtube.com/watch?v=EfyAlIQifaU
>You hear that really subtle acoustic drum fill in the background? Something like that
I don't really hear much acoustic drumming in the background, no...and I really don't like that style of music.
I am going to go with adding acoustic drums on it though. Probably for the backbeat I think.

youtube.com/watch?v=_XUiJi5153Y

>Layer it with a really short 808 kick with a low pass filter on it at like 100hz. And add a hi pass filter to everything that isn't your kick and bass.
Actually I asked the wrong way, I mean it sounds good in a mix before mastering, but not after mastering. Any good mastering tips regarding this?

>Any good mastering tips regarding this?
Compression is probably clipping the peak on it.

The first thing in the mastering chain is a clipper which I wanted to use in order to get even more headroom but I guess into_the_trash_it_goes.jpg

>The first thing in the mastering chain is a clipper
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend that.

Hey, at least you made progress in dealing with this kinda thing. You're learning.

Copy that
Yeah I'm indeed still learning despite doing this shit for a long time kek, I'm so happy for threads like this

Does anyone know like, the rules/laws when it comes to sampling something? Like, if you take a vocal track from a copywritten song but you change it and fuck with it so much that it becomes impossible to what the original sample was, is it free use?

technically no, but functionally yes, as long as it's truly past the point of any recognizability

>change it and fuck with it so much that it becomes impossible to what the original sample was, is it free use?
They can only sue you if they catch you.

But most samples, if you mash them that much, they end up being something different from what you wanted to use, and I personally always ended up junking them.

If you want permission to use some shit ask some local artists. I bet they would love to be credited etv.

I'm asking because of this track I made.
>clyp.it/40myjvop

Can you guys tell where the vocal's from?

>Can you guys tell where the vocal's from?
I don't recognise it but my knowledge of modern music isn't great.
Nice beat btw.

its reversed, chopped and pitched up

I don't think that they could prove to a judge where it came from

I know you know the song. It's Teenage Dream by Katy Perry. You can't NOT know that song.

So I'm in the clear? I'm only worried because that track has been used in a shit load of random people's YouTube videos and I thought maybe it'd come back to bite me in the ass.

>I know you know the song. It's Teenage Dream by Katy Perry. You can't NOT know that song.
I haven't listened to the radio or anything not of my choosing for many years. Never heard that song.

Don't sample something as famous as that, find some obscure shit no one has heard of, especially if it's just for chopping up vocal samples. That's a big target, their record company will sue you if they even half suspect.

i dont think anyone would've been able to tell in that song he posted though

Well, if you think so and you know the song I guess he's ok.

i just bought some plugins and they wont show up in ableton wtf!!!

are they vst3? did you install them in the right place?

I still advise you all to sample obscure shit.

Try and find a demo of a musician who never got signed and died of a heroin overdose in your town or something.

my man, you got robbed
call 911

ah fuck apparently they are bugged for windows 10 and they're working on a solution

i was looking forward to using this shit

windows 10: not even once

That's what you get for not pirating first to try it. I'm gonna be rocking win 7 forever for music production.

So far all plugins I've used worked on win 10.

>buying software

it wasn't out on torrents yet

nvm got it working in windows 8 compatibility mode phew

whats the difference between gate and trig out?

2 spooky?

clyp.it/oakd5mal

clyp.it/iiddtuc0

best method of suicide?

Spooks just right.

I'm drunk as fuck
so here's the demo trap track

clyp.it/tbyesi23

Stop being such a bigot! Sup Forums is a board of peace!

>clyp.it/tbyesi23

this made me lol, not sure if that was your intention. it's not bad, it's just funny

this is cool, just needs to be recorded onto a 20 year old cassette and have a spooky black guy rapping about killing people on it

>clyp.it/kr0hftks

more reverb, u-he satin

probably installed the wrong bit version

i actually did a remix of my buddy's track and he died and now i reap the benefits... of giving it away free anyways lol.

this is fucking hilarious please finish it

Anyone get good use out of their volcas? I use them quite a bit, but you have to be really creative with resampling/effects i find.

>not supporting the dozens of people who worked hard to give you your shitty wavetable synth so you could make mediocre trap and dubstep remixes

you're actually underage

i made a whole EP just on volcas

m8 i actually like this. it's really obnoxious and in your face but in a good way, i could imagine someone like diplo dropping it and a crowd of qts losing their shit

anyone use eurorack here?

Well that was annoying as fuck.

sounds like anything on the radio these days desu

How do I into percussion and mixing?

To me, it seems like the drum part of a song is the least important, but producers seem to fawn over it heavily while the listener barely notices.

a bit

It's just like if you fuck it up the whole track will be trash worthy

What did he mean by this?

Speaking of mixing snares, how do I make mine sound like those big booming snares in 80s power ballads?

Woke up. Wrote some really minimal ballad. Recorded some vocals and messed with layering.

clyp.it/x4owlqcg

>what is a groove

Gated reverb

clyp.it/xhwoilee

softube modular sounds frickin kool, it was made by the eurorack and intellijel ppl

What kind of music (style/genre) are you mixing?

>using a modular by clicking a mouse

>spending a gajillion dollarydoos to make beeps and boops when you could do it for much less on a computer

youtube.com/watch?v=CBY0bZWKehQ

[spoiler]Any links for me to torrent a DAW? I'm trying with Ableton, but the instructions are fucking with me...[/spoiler]

bump

Just get Reaper. It's free* and solid as fuck.

why doesn't clyp.it accept flac

vocaroo.com/i/s02wsUY1SjAZ
also is this enjoyable

Is it easy to use?

no

Want to make synth pop Sup Forums

Point me in the right direction pls

get some 80s synths and some 80s drum machines

>clyp.it/tbyesi23
needs more HEY HEY HEY HE YHE HE YHEHYHEYHEHY