A BIG question for the irish people

I was non ironically thinking that there are ~4 mln of irish in Ireland, and 4-5 in USA. The true number of your population just had shocked me.

What the fuck. you are a 70+ mln nation, how fuck you had stayed so closer to lost your language? You should save it.

I also never heard it in songs. I heard a really rare languages, like Chechen, or Abhazian, or Vepsian (the national language of Putin), or Welsh, but never heard Irish.

Let this thread will be for an irish music.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NGlmJV1Sh9E
youtube.com/watch?v=eTapR73pfrY
youtube.com/watch?v=XtcUZckYTp0
youtube.com/watch?v=1yp-nQF2zr8
youtube.com/watch?v=lh43Pvm3Y8Y
youtube.com/watch?v=WgUAtB62Ts8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEdlDHWHsxo
youtube.com/watch?v=i-Xz8zCC0yk
youtube.com/watch?v=6miaTf1gF4g
youtube.com/watch?v=OGcMPp7TNo4
youtube.com/watch?v=zVHPGFs6kH8
youtube.com/watch?v=3O6FjbbBmo0
youtube.com/watch?v=H4CCZKJjmf4
youtube.com/watch?v=4s1rm8SHWFU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language_in_Newfoundland
youtube.com/watch?v=TA_d8WkUGv0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=NGlmJV1Sh9E

the irish language is just bad

is it Irish?

Country was anglicised during the hundreds of years of occupation and Irish language strongholds were destroyed during the famine by people either dying or fleeing off to the states

this is why
youtube.com/watch?v=eTapR73pfrY

I may be polish (not sure), and there are a lot of song's covers in Polish:
youtube.com/watch?v=XtcUZckYTp0
youtube.com/watch?v=1yp-nQF2zr8
youtube.com/watch?v=lh43Pvm3Y8Y
and etc..

but it's pretty hard to find something in Irish. Why?

If this is Irish, I have to say that your language sounds pretty cool. Don't lost it

or it's English? I really can't understand

pretty nice, sounds like a black-white French (I can't explain it), but really pretty good

>Vepsian (the national language of Putin)
Wut? Really?

It's non official. He said that he is russian. But, he doesn't look slavic. And people have the theory that he is finno-ugric.
Also, after he had becomed the president - Vepsian becomed to be offical in Karelian's Republic (Republics in Russia are a small countries inside Russia)

This is the Vepsian language:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEdlDHWHsxo
youtube.com/watch?v=i-Xz8zCC0yk

Well I knew that Russia is diverse but thats something new. The songs sound nice 2bh.
>tfw there are only 6000 Speakers of Veps left

>there are ~4 mln of irish in Ireland, and 4-5 in USA. The true number of your population just had shocked me.
>What the fuck. you are a 70+ mln nation,
Wot

Irish people
Muintir na hÉireann Total population
(c. 70–80 million worldwide[1])

I really was shocked too

A good 95% of them are "muh heritage" fags who are like 1/16th Irish

>t. Nigel Smith Farthington

As for me, if your father is Irish - you are Irish

It's hard to explain to any other country, but basically after the brits starved 50% of the population to death during the famine the survivors thought it would be a good idea to learn english so that they could emigrate to America during the 19th century.

You can call us cucks or whatever, but fuck you if you can call up a simiar history

Metal Gear Solid has a song in Irish
youtube.com/watch?v=6miaTf1gF4g
Battlestar Galatica as well
youtube.com/watch?v=OGcMPp7TNo4

The irish language station TG4 does some animated music videos, there's a few on YouTube
youtube.com/watch?v=zVHPGFs6kH8
youtube.com/watch?v=3O6FjbbBmo0
youtube.com/watch?v=H4CCZKJjmf4

I don't want to call your cucks, but I can't understand, why irish diaspora in Canada can't change their language to French (it's a question of 1-2 generations) and forced anglos to leave in the future from Canada?

Really hate anglocanada

they are cucks, dont worry calling it what it is

I thought it was more that irish speakers tended to die out in greater numbers in the famine because they tended to be more isolated and poorer than average.

rather than a bunch of people learning english to go to america and then changing their minds (but still speaking english at home)

The both songs sounds pretty traditional, I'm not against it, but I think you have to create a pop- rock- songs in your language too

the first animation song sounds really cute

*sound

Irish speakers did die dispropotionately, many of them were also displaced to America. Irish was denigrated by the powers that be (the British institutions and the Catholic church who preferred English-speakers for missionary work). They had enough sway to turn many Irish against their own language, Catholicism became more central to many people's identity instead.

Because in the new world you can pick your favorite ethnicity and register yourself as such in the census.

For example in Argentina you only need one SHITalian ancestor somewhere hidden in your family tree +120 years ago and boom, you're automatically ''Shitalian-Argentinian'',
No matter if you're 98% black African negroe fromt he depths of Africa, if a terrone fucked your great-great-great-great grandma 300 years ago then you're 'euro-Argentine'
Most times you don't need any proof even, the guys that do the census home by home every 10 years just take your word.

That happens all over latin and North America and that's why numbers are so inflated and unrealistic.

Many of them did just become French Canadians and today still tout their Irish heritage despite not even being able to speak simple english.

Its easy for slavs to talk about preserving "their slightly seperate version of russian through centuries of commuinst oppresion" when they were not cornered on a small island and not systimatically genocided every generation for 300 years but rather subjected to an incredibly overstretched bureaucracy.

I know they love to wank themselves off about it but come on

Russian is the most non-slav language in comparing with the others, but it's another theme

But seirously, how fuck you can stay anglo when anglos are your enemies (I also understand you, I really hate anglocanada, UK, Germany - three countries which shouldn't exist in the modern form).
You have to use your diaspora to learn language

t. Paddy McGee the fightin Irishman

If irish people and poles will change their language in Canada to French - it would be pretty easy to make this country 100% french again

wanted to learn irish as a third language but i'm convinced it's just a meme like latin at this point

which language is the second

>If irish people and poles will change their language in Canada to French - it would be pretty easy to make this country 100% french again
you are saying some really really dumb shit

for no reason too why do you give a shit

Irish colleges do organise covers of pop songs but I don't know if there'd be much in the way of original modern music in Irish. Irish music sells on its traditionalism and perceived quaintness, there isn't going to be much of an audience for pop-rock songs in general. There's no doubt they exist though, somewhere.

t. Mickey McLaughlin the lovable drunkard

japanese

Covers are a pretty good way to make language popular. Also, hip-hop.

Well basically they learned it in the 19th century to emigrate to america to stop from starving to death, then it just became easy.

Like I said its not like any other countries experience in modern history and you have to go back to the middle ages for parallels, LATIN *HINT* COUGH* etc

Does that make us cucks? Come and get sum you slavshit fuck

t. Aiden O'Donahue the wife beating scamp

Russia 5,936 (2010)[1]
Ukraine 281 (2001)[2]
Estonia 54 (2011)[3]
Belarus 8 (2009)[4]

Belarus: 8

lmao

Why are you so aggressive friend, Sup Forums is for serious discussion

You also can make a pro-irish hip-hop in English.

For example this track from a tatar nationalist is in Russian, but it's pretty anti-Russian by the sence.

youtube.com/watch?v=4s1rm8SHWFU

one moment
"they will forgot your language, the children will be free"

he said it in Russia, but it should work

t. Hoidihoidiho

I'LL NEVER STOP SPEAKIN AMERICAN
FUCK THE ENGLISH
ANGLO WAR NOW

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language_in_Newfoundland

It wasn't just the Brits, American cultural influence was a big factor. A lot of Irish Americans moved back after independence except most of them never lived in Ireland, they were the children or grandchildren of Irish that had been living in America who never learned Irish and didn't feel the need to when they returned. The government probably didn't want to waste money dubbing films into Irish when less than half the country understood it, same with TV.

I still feel the government and the schools were responsible for not teaching it properly when Finland successfully revived their language around the same time and Israel did it even later. Hell, fucking Neo-Babylon managed to revive their own language and that was over 2500 years ago in a much bigger country.

honest question, if someone was to be fluent in spoken gaelic and went to ireland on holiday, would it do anything to improve the experience?

t.Hans "Hernandez de Rossi McClean Johansson 1/452452th Navajo" Washington

KYS

I had a seriously bad day today and need to fuck shit up, even virtually

I'd say it's swimming against the tide. Most Irish people are simply content to be anglicised because it is easier, they sooner identify with anglo-american culture than native gaelic culture because it is what they have the most experience with.

They would understand what all the placenames actually mean and would be perceived more positively (despite nobody understanding them), but otherwise probably not.

>4-5 mln in USA
lmao no there are roughly 30-40 million irish americans

The irony here is that you are probably 1/4 Irish and think you have a massive connection to Ireland

I have a passport to my family's european country of origin and speak the language fluently.

I literally hate 'irish' americans

>they sooner identify with anglo-american culture
>mfw my sister has a psuedo-American accent despite living here her entire life
>mfw she says we "owe" niggers despite doing nothing but let them live here
England hurt Ireland, America killed it.

I would agree to that to a point, my grandfathers irish so if my heritage or family is asked about from my friends I would say my family is Irish. But I would call myself English seeing as I have always been here and it is all I have known.

There's some pubs where people go to speak gaelic, going there is pretty much the only advantage I can see, and even then you'd be treated with suspicion for being foreign.

Give her a slap. There's nothing worse than people trying to inject American racial politics into our society.

t. James McMuheritage, the One True Scotsman

that's funny because I mix up irish and russian all the time

Get fucked they're a brilliant example of why colonisation works

youtube.com/watch?v=TA_d8WkUGv0

>People on the mainland would make fun of them because they spoke Irish

F

kek, irish "language"
its dead, deal with it

pic related, ireland itself only has 3.5 million people in it

kek, the irish were treated like niggers in the northern states, irish people had to use colored water fountains, "irish need not apply" signs in wanted adds, and pic related

>ireland itself only has 3.5 million people in it
Actually the republic has over 4.595 million and the whole island is over 6.4 million.