/daily/ - "tusk" edition

These threads have been here for over two years, jesus.

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new music, do your best not to shitpost, and just let the good times flow.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>make charts!

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>the same thing as plug but with emotes

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
>come here to get bullied

We have a Skype group?

Most importantly, listen to more music!

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CytyQuxLcCg
youtube.com/watch?v=0GvLP2C2w9U
rateyourmusic.com/list/minermonster/stuff-that-i-should-listen-but-im-too-lazy-to-listen-a_k_a-backlog/
hasitleaked.com/2016/nick-cave-the-bad-seeds-skeleton-tree/
onemoretimewithfeeling.film/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

o fuck thanks

for kubera it's "endless repetition" because you're listening to it as an album. the pieces in there are just two, spiegel im spiegel and fur alina, played by different interpretors. you don't have to listen to them all consecutively.

i haven't heard feldman but imho Part does an ok job at implementing silence as a main factor. fur alina is my jam.

>Sep 9th
>38ºC
Kill me.
On the good side of things, Nick Cave movie tomorrow!

Also, what have you been listening to?

I considered it being different interpretations of single pieces. However, I'm not judging the album as a whole, but I'm referring to the single pieces, and no, he does not, at least in this version. Every sound is just so full that silence doesn't come out right and you actually just don't care.

hahahahaha
our winters are quite tolerable down undah

Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue (1965)
>avant-garde jazz, post-bop, modal jazz

The vibraphone is probably my favorite side instrument in jazz, and Hutcherson was by far it's best player, and he manages to even make the instrument work as a lead instrument. Well, some of the time at least. For being a record with Hutcherson as the band leader, there is a shocking lack of vibraphone leads here, Hill's piano and Rivers' sax share just as much of the spotlight as the vibes. This works both for and against the album. The parts where Hutcherson really steals the show are great, and I definitely wish there were more of them, but a whole album led by vibes could definitely get a bit tedious, this album does shake things up a bit instrumentally, staying fresh and interesting. Attempts are also made to mix up the sound of the album by taking a freer, more avant-garde approach to composition, mainly on the title track. The track has some good moments, but as a whole it's certainly the album's weakest point, the album is at it's best when staying in more tame, conventional post-bop territory. And it's damn good at doing that.

3.0+

>Every sound is just so full that silence doesn't come out right and you actually just don't care
why are you talking in second person baka i dont feel like that at al srnh

get Stick Men with Ray Guns over with, it's pretty fucking terrible

>These threads have been here for over two years, jesus.
So glad of that fact. Thanks to bear and everyone who kept it going

Attic Abasement- dancing is depressing
Thanks to impostertuco for the recommendation!
This is some really good bedroom indie-pop-folk business. This might be one of the best things I've heard in my "first reply gets their rec heard" series. I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes the dodos, crywank, coin locker kid, that sort of thing.
So there's amazing songs on it, but it almost seems like every other song is great, and the in-betweens are experiments. They do some weird shit. There's almost almost random screaming on one track, and the lyrics range from beautiful to just fucking weird (see track 2: sorry about your dick).
This one should probably just be heard, I'm getting annoyed with explaining it.
3 or more likely 3.5/5

soon, probably. doing kano now.

If you could resurrect one /daily/ trip from death who would you choose?
Mortimer? Raziel? DM? Aqam? Leopard? SniperJoe? Lisa? someone else? no one?

yeah man I can agree with that assertion, for what it's worth their follow up is more straight laced and down to earth

definitely not myself

Me.

none
kill all trips we a re a disgrace to the board
(Aqam aint ded yo, neither is Leopard)

Down undah? I don't understand your lingo, but thanks for the good thoughts 'mate'.
(checked)
Avenging & Bright is good (along a bunch of other stuff). Don't be a Kanzler!

definitely Torts

2nd listen of this album and I think it's one of the best psychedelic albums I've heard. The instrumentation is a bit wild but the band doesn't seem to do this unnecessarily. It all works pretty well. Love the drumming on here as well.

Glad I finally gave it a shot, took me too long.

What do you guys think about this record?

Nick Cave movie not until Saturday, got tix to a rescreening because I'm a fuckwit that didn't get in early enough. Tho I did pre-order the Skeleton Tree vinyl just so I ain't fucking around on the day, after work I'm just dropped to the couch and getting hammered with it spinning on repeat.

>Paul Bley - Touching
there's a very strong sense of driving forward throughout the compositions here, the energy throughout never halts or takes a breathe but rather drops in intensity. bley will finish a fiery run, to be followed by a chaotic and crashing drum solo by barry altschul, and then just some light hi-hat work barely above a whisper while bley hits notes suggesting a melody somewhere in the gaps. it's hard to find time to breathe, let alone stop fidgeting in time to the music

I miss them all, very much :(

Probably gonna try that soon, then

And I thought 27ºC here yesterday was bad. I also can't wait for it.

Just listening to more from my chart, Soft Boys are pretty good.

no worries 'cunt'
(note this image is 100% accurate, you just insulted me)

anyone wanna do a tusk listenalong
artanis or sdc
leopard said he hates /daily/ lol

:3

if yer anywhere but fucking melbourne they are

Where are you that it sold out? I didn't realise they were doing rescreenings.

i remember thinking the songwriting was p dull on like half the tracks on that album last time i tried to it

american way of love(iirc) is gr8 tho

i just found my aoty

Melbourne, Australia, where everyone sucks Cave's dick. Pretty much every cinema in Melbourne has sold out but there's one or two doing rescreenings. I don't know if they're meant to be doing them or not but if my ticket doesn't cover me I'm gonna raise hell

I'm gonna get it the 9th at some random store, I was afraid it'd take time to arrive and I wanna listen to it soon.
It's also a matter of getting used t it I guess. Once you've had two months of this shit, it's not nearly as terrible as when it first started. But ideally I like weather under 20ºC at least.
Crikey!

*croykey*
WEST COAST, BEST COAST

I don't get the hype with it. I like it but it's a fairly regular psych record. I mean the electronics are cool but it doesn't really elevate it beyond the other psych records of the time.

>J Balvin
What The Fuck
dude
this is the year of Anuel aa, Bryan Myers, Coscuella, etc.
J Balvin is wayy too 2015
also the tru goat is VJ
youtu.be/CytyQuxLcCg

tusk

did anyone else read that little britney spears thread

no

i like how britney spears gets people to have serious conversation

omg, i was just hoping for somebody for replying my post nicely, i mean, in this board eveybody seems to hate/ignore reggaeton for no reason, when for me is one of my favorite generes?

what is your favorite album of reggaeton?

as Yamir said once, reggaeton is mostly a singles genre. I personally think it's one fun genre and that when it comes to parties its the best but i think most people dislike the singers and what not. The new trend of making trap rap/reggaeton fusion is quite cool i think and right now the new wave of reggaeton artists is kind of promising. My favorite reggaeton songs as of 2016 might be El Bajo, Shaky Shaky, Hoy Amanecí Mariao y Ella y Yo

what about bobo?

i wonder if Bear checks out AOTY threads hoping to see Even Oxen there. Hell, u wonder how much people listen to Even Oxen outside of /daily/, or how popular is that hahaha band
haven't listened to that one actually

it's right here youtube.com/watch?v=0GvLP2C2w9U

right now i can't listen to it boy but when i get home i'm gonna check it out

i heard arrayed before i tripped up

and i haven't listened to it yet
weird
also i read your rym as tri-pup
like a puppy cerberus

i believe in free interpretation so picture me that way

>the constructus corporation - the ziggurat
some amazing, like seriously great, beats on some of the tracks. hypnotizing at some points. brought down by the over-the-top borderline cringey spoken word narrations and interludes. 3.5-/5

is this last album even worth a listen or is it a meme

I'm pretty sure you have not listened to the entirety of it.

oh yeah i forgot to mention it was just disc 1

fact: All albums are worth a spin
check out 4g - Cloud for some good good lowercase/EA
you can also listen to Taku Unami - Atami which is a really really really interesting album. I would also rec it to Fish since he liked Hontatedori so much, however this one is real Onkyo

THEN YOU ARE NOT OVER DO NOT TAKE JUDGEMENTS YOU COULD LATER REGRET

I wonder if someone will choose me in Rod's tourney. Not that it actually cares, because my album is the best ;)

Hype for something about the water

thats fair i suppose
I'm really not in the mood to listen to the whole thing but i probably will at some point
gracias

Not that it actually matters*

Kano - Kano (1980)
>italo-disco

Bland, forgettable, cheesy disco saved by one song, the catchy as hell "I'm Ready". It's certainly produced well, but the songs are so generic and cookie cutter, it's more like a parody of disco than a legitimate attempt at disco music. "I'm Ready" is a great tune though, nice melodies with a great, thumping backbeat. Despite this, it's a very forgettable album as a whole.

2.0-

>gracias
hmmm
where you from my boy

>Charles Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music

Really cool record, Mingus never disappoints. Really loved the classica influences on this one and the piano bits. I'm amazed how he manages to stay on the borderline of experimentation and classica jazz without being blatant and mediocre. 8/10

>William Tyler - Modern Country

Generic americana guitars advertized as American Primitivism. Boring.
1/10

>Tindersticks - The Waiting Room

It starts of good but then it becomes a very generic and derivative album. Also some of the tracks doesn't even seem to belong to the album because of their different style.
5/10

>Yndi Halda - Under Summer

Really pleasant violins on this one. It delivers a good atmosphere and an epic feeling. The vocals are also p nice.
6.5/10

>Eagulls - Ullages
Post-punk without the "post" (and the "punk")
3/10

Also check other AMAZING reviews and suggest stuff here: rateyourmusic.com/list/minermonster/stuff-that-i-should-listen-but-im-too-lazy-to-listen-a_k_a-backlog/

>let my children hear music
>not awful
adagio ma non troppo is ok though.

Prollly Mort, he was chill and had good taste

>Eagulls - Ullages
i know you probably won't want to after listening to that album but you should try their self-titled. Much better than the bland Cure rip off/shoegaze on Ullages, it's noisier and more aggressive if that's your kind of thing. I actually really love that album.

Look at how fast he's running

A decent amount, he definitely has fans outside of this place.
I think a little over half of the cassettes I've sold have been random people

Arvo Part et al. - Te Deum
was very unsure if the title was a pun there for a second, then considered Latin
It's quite pleasant, not nearly as good as Tabula Rasa, but we can't all be winners

Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On
This is pretty cool and really fun, don't really have all that much to say about it otherwise

do either Lazer Guided Melodies or Third Ear Band

>William Tyler
Boy you listened to the wrong album m8
Impossible Truth is legit good

hasitleaked.com/2016/nick-cave-the-bad-seeds-skeleton-tree/

How the fuck hasn't this leaked yet.

smoke urself

just wait like the rest of the world

two days my man
you gonna see the film?

new jersey lmao
i speak that spanish tho

>wanting to listen to the album before seeing the film
disgusting t b h

>The Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight
Not very similar to Josef K at all but I really liked this mix of influences, Glam Rock being the most obvious. 4/5

>The Names - Swimming
A decent Joy Division impression but this one isn't good enough for me to overlook Hannett's production, it just sucks the life out of parts of the album. 3+/5

>Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding The Flame
Decent post-punk/dream pop. Not quite sure what doesn't work for me here but it doesn't. 3/5

John Coltrane - Giant Steps (May 4, 1959 - December 2, 1959)

Fantastic. The compositions sound like they were imagined precisely for each member, which gives this a very tight and natural flow. Still pigeonholed by the bop / modal jazz scene a bit, this album has Coltrane stretching the limits of the genre while staying true to his roots. However, considering the explosion of creativity in the jazz scene in ’59, this doesn’t seem like too much of a Giant Step.

The musicianship is stellar, though the drums and bass occasionally lack the force required to drive Coltrane forward. Coltrane is lightning on this album, and gives us the first glimpse at his later preference of musical expression over following genre rules.

An essential album in Coltrane’s discography, and one that fans of bop and modal jazz should definitely seek out.

7.5 /10

Haha fuck you buddy, this is an instant gratification world and I WANT IT NOW NOW NOW!

>you gonna see the film?
I'll have to see if any place near me is playing it.

>over-the-top borderline cringey spoken word narrations

website already tells you
onemoretimewithfeeling.film/
you'll get to hear some songs one day earlier! :o

at some points it sounded like a shitty b movie narrator trying to sound sinister

the entire album's intended to be taken as sort of an over the top sci-fi flick. it fits the context perfectly.

how about for every one we ressurect we have to kill off 3 current trips
that way we get rid of the worst and keep the less bad ones. theyre all bad tho so it doesnt matter

this desu, reggaeton has resurfaced as actually good recently

uh sniperjoe's still here brotendo

i'm buffering a review of tub ring's zoo hypothesis 2004

New fone, who dis?

Repeat until only Sdc is left
Everything goes on as usual

nah man, his last post was in June
he's offiically dead

how have you not heard the downward spiral, the bends, or clouddead wtf (i can understand not hearing of yes but those others are pretty common)

i have him on skype. the review i did yesterday was recommended by him. he's fine and still making music as far as i know. sorry i hadn't noticed him gone from the threads, i haven't been around

oh yeah i got that i just couldn't quite get into it

>how have you not heard [insert random popular album]
I hate you

Because I'd rather listen to albums I know I like. And it's only been like two months since I decided that I should expand my tastes in music.

iktf m8
good faggot non-trip

here we go again!

Mingus!

2baaaaad
you're probably going to have escape from noise in that case.

is this a pun

Black Saint.
Is this your first Mingus?

yes it is my first mingus

eleven

Yes, he's daily's Resident comedian.

holy shit
im not sure what you mean

no, but it has a lot of overblown spoken word sections. i like it though.
shut hte fuck up you fucking menis penis gobbling negro fagtron i'll fucking suck your dad off his pedistal where eh stands you it bich.