/gg/ - Guitar and Bass General

ALUMINUM MEME EDITION
OLD THREAD >How long have you been playing?
>Fav guitars?
>Fav guitarists?
>Projects?
>Talk about and play music
>General guitar and bass discussion

Beginner information and FAQ:
>reddit.com/r/Guitar/wiki/index

Music Theory:
>justinguitar.com/

Guitar chords and inversions
>chordbook.com/guitar-chords/

String Tension Calculator (D'Addario based):
>hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/

Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar

Impulse Response Pack
>mediafire.com/download/svtfxjtillrdwt8/Gods Cab 1.3.rar
>mediafire.com/download/4n28zkjw0zgmdj9/ASEM RECTO V30 L2.wav (embed) (embed) (embed)

--

>Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8
>Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg

Others
>Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
>Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
>Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

OLD THREAD

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-USATK-USATK4-US-Made-USA-ATK-Bass-W-Bunker-PBC-Tension-Free-Neck-/252517017970?hash=item3acb2fe972:g:HYkAAOSwFe5Xw62R
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what do you think is the best first song to learn

Jimi Hendrix- Purple Haze

it has a little bit of everything that a beginner should learn.

one day i hope all 1,500 dollar guitars have sonic characters

>Jimi Hendrix- Purple Haze
i think that might be slightly too advanced for someone who only knows a couple chords

>¥165000
>Alder body, licensed trash Floyd Rose, single pickup, volume knob only.

I guess Sega know their edgehog fanbase is autistic as fuck.

First song I learned was House of the Rising Sun. Chords are A minor, C, D, F, E.

Anyone can learn that song.

Cornering the autistic market I see :^)

Jokes, all guitar players are autistic

uh oh

what does the oil do actually?
mine is a rosewood board. does the oil only add the dark look or does it help with the longevity or something? some parts of the first couple of frets are lighter than the surrounding wood, is this something to worry about?

smoke on the water intro ;^)

Rosewood naturally has oil in it, this needs to be topped up so the board doesn't dry out, crack, warp and other nasties.

Don't stress it this time, just have some for the next time you change your strings

The oil soaks into the wood and keeps it nice and shiny + easy to play as intended.

Ever seen an oil finished guitar? It's similar, but not exactly the same. A good oil will only darken the fretboard slightly.

If you can be arsed, get the crimson guitars fretboard cleaner + restorative. Shits good with zero solvents or petroleum shit.

The solo yeah, but the basic chords and melodies are easily learned.

A beginner doesn't need to know how to play a E7 (#9) chord.

Better to stick to learning songs with basic major&minor chords until the basic shapes are embedded in the spine.

>If you can be arsed, get the crimson guitars fretboard cleaner + restorative. Shits good with zero solvents or petroleum shit.

hi ben :)

Not Ben, but I am bald.

I'm having to decide between a Jazzmaster and a Jaguar, problem is, I like both about equally, so which is more versatile?

telecaster

#
They're like 30$. You don't need to change them unless they get grimy. Or rusty. The strings on my bass have been on since 2003. I don't play it very frequently and clean them when i do. I couldn't imagine leaving strings on a guitar for that long, i change them like every 6-8 weeks.

This tbqh

for whom the bell tolls is bretty good, just take it slow

you get to learn some palm muting, power chords and if you're feeling cheeky you can take on the lead guitar parts too

I think people are too easy on beginners (most teachers are because they want to milk their students $ for the longest time). I don't believe in any limitations, the harder you push yourself the faster you learn. Getting used to extended chords early on is a great help.

I learn the basics of Purple Haze the very first day I picked up a guitar and I felt like it gave me a head start on learning to play leads getting used to moveable chords.

c-can i rub your head?

So he gets the choice between twangy, twangy and twangy.

Jazzmaster is probably the most versatile, if you want versatility get a HSS strat with a coil split for the humbucker if you're dead set on Fender.

People who grow up on power chords turn into shit players. Learn chords, then power chords.

Jazzmaster if only for the noiseless middle position.

>So he gets the choice between twangy, twangy and twangy.

tele is clearly the best twangy

I would not say a telecaster is "versatile" you can play classic rock station songs on it.

>not getting the Custom Shop one

A beginner barely understand the difference between minor and major. If you learned the basics of Purple Haze on the first day, great. You didn't understand what that weird E chord was until way later though.

What's some good rock guitar music you guys have been into lately? I just learned Black by Pearl Ham

I HAVE 300 DOLLARS WHAT ACOUSTIC GUITAR DO I ORDER THROUGH AMAZON

Save more money unless you're a beginner.

WHATS A BETTER PRICE RANGE?

Using The Mexican by Babe Ruth as a warm up + practicing fucking around all 6 strings in a run. Other than that it's primarily writing new riffs and practicing my improvisation.

Fugg, is that real Carbon Fibre?

Hats off to the Japanese if it is tbqh

>finally coming up with vocal melodies to go with guitar parts I have recorded
>mfw

singing is actually really fun, and I'm much less self conscious about it when I'm playing at the same time. No lyrics yet but they'll come eventually

It isn't, it's just an alder body at extreme to the max markup.

Just buy whatever fucking Yamaha acoustic you can afford. They're good.

any acoustic under 5000$ is a worthless piece of trash

True I didn't understand the exact name of the chord but I could still play it. You can learn a lot of stuff at the same time imo. When I was teaching I would focus the first couple of weeks solely on building technique and learning a song they liked (as well as open chords/major/minor scale) so the students would enjoy their playing and so that it's one less hurdle to get over when they want to understand the theory behind what they're playing. A lot of kids quit lessons because the first few are boring as shit and they never play anything more than open chords.

Different approaches I guess. I think getting your finger muscles moving in the right way is the most important thing for a beginner that wants to progress quickly.

>I think getting your finger muscles moving in the right way is the most important thing for a beginner that wants to progress quickly.

Muscle memory is key.

I would, but I really want a trem

Then buy a HSS strat and get the versatility you're after. The jag/jazzmaster trems aren't worth the hassle.

Lads what are your opinions on the Space Bass?

Not gonna lie, it looks sick as hell, but I bet it's a bitch to hold/play

Check out this blues lawyer.

Psssh… Nothin Personnel… Kid…

Bobba/10.

Shit is pretty balanced since Bootsy uses it as a gigging bass.

Guys, I want to rent a baby for sexual purposes, where do I get one and how much do they usually go for?

That's the old space bass mind you. This is the new one.

>tfw I checked it out and liked the Jazzmaster's tone better
why had God forsaken me

ooo, I didn't know that.

Do you, or anybody for the fact, know what the specs are on the Space Bass? Like, if you had to compare it to a well known bass, what would you say, and in what regards? Like a Fender J for tone?

Jazzmasters are great, go for it user.

>tfw you fell tone meme

What I posted is the $950 affordable version with bolt-on. Swamp ash body, bolt on laminate maple neck. The full version is a 5 active pickup, neck through LED monstrosity I don't even dare look up the price for.

They've been out since 2012 I think, affordable since 2014.

As for what it sounds like? A warwick bass.

>falling for the "Jazzmaster are memes" anti-meme

thanks m8. If I ever save up enough money I'd so buy this.

Dude what I would do to have an EGC ATK bass. Or have Scott Kelly' signature guitar and I dont even play guitar.

Memes aside this looks awful

>$3,100 for a piece of plastic and a piece of aluminum

The same could be said for normal guitars. xxxx$ for a slab of wood.

Anons pls. If they made a tension free neck for my bass I would've boughten that already.

Makes me want to take a key to it.

>tension free neck
Wut?

>gig cancelled hours before
Hold me broze

>I think I messed up the setup on my electric upright bass
>nobody does setups for electric upright basses where I live
H-help?

Wood has sweet tones.

I need some help tuning my bass, the closer I get to D, the harder it is to turn the Tuning Knob, and the less the pitch goes up. I have no desire to break to string as I have no way to replace it, any advice?

hey I've got a luggage set for sale here for only $700

You keep turning until it's at the correct pitch, make sure the string isn't caught on the stringtree or the nut. Also make sure that you're in the correct octave obviously.

put some lube on the nut. graphite from a pencil lead works fine.

Cold as ice senpai.

The description explains it.
ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-USATK-USATK4-US-Made-USA-ATK-Bass-W-Bunker-PBC-Tension-Free-Neck-/252517017970?hash=item3acb2fe972:g:HYkAAOSwFe5Xw62R

The description doesn't explain jack shit.

>The description explains it
>drunk on snake oil
for shame

It's basically a gutted neck with a thick steel shim stuck underneath the fretboard with a 90 degree bend coming down behind the headstock.

If it was such a great thing, makers would have used it instead of being relegated to the company who designed it for retrofitting only.

Alright, thank you. Yes, I am in the correct octave, as all the other notes are in tune, and the D isn't a 5th about the A string.

That has nothing to do with "tension free", the tension is still on the neck. What a retarded buzzword.

so in other words you don't have a way to adjust the neck when it moves because of temperature changes or humidity

Well, they claim it's better than truss rod since it alleviates tension from the wood.

Not like bass necks aren't made with 5-7 piece laminate and twin truss rods to fix that shit these days, right?

Supposedly no need, it reeks of snake oil though.

>Supposedly no need
>Supposedly
sheeeeeit that must be why every bass manufacturer now uses this construction method

Like I said, reeks of snake oil. I'm not the guy who was thirsting for one though.

time to learn

>Not like bass necks aren't made with 5-7 piece laminate and twin truss rods to fix that shit these days, right?
Maybe if you play a meme machine 6 string with extra wide string spacing. My 5 strings all have a single piece hardrock maple neck with a single trussrod and none of them had any issues.

How/where? I can't find any measurements for the string height and absolutely nothing for neck relief since upright basses usually don't come with a truss rod.

It doesn't have to be a meme machine to be a multi laminate neck. Even the Rick 4001/4003 has had twin truss rods since its inception.

Whats the difference between the tension free and the travis bean necks then? Or are they literally the same since EGC took over the aluminum neck trend?

I feel stupid for even posting but now I know. It all sounded good on paper. In fact a dude at Cucktar Center suggested it to me when I brought mine in (has neck issues) so I thought itd be a great fit.

>Rick 4001/4003
>example of good design
>ever

Dunno, not versed in Travis Bean stuff.

>mfw dunlop for music stuff has no relation whatsoever to the dunlop company for tires and sports stuff
my whole life has been a life

It was just the first example that popped into my head especially considering it's been produced since 1961.

And the 4001/4003 was good enough for people who are considered among the greatest.

why are truss rods a thing, why not just make it straight lmao

> tfw install dunlop tires and use dunlop picks.

>And the 4001/4003 was good enough for people who are considered among the greatest.
Literally not an argument. Les claypool can make a stick with a bass string attached sound good, that doesn't mean that it is a good design.

Long story short these EGC fags are ripping his shit off since Travis Bean stopped making instruments since the 70s. Idk why seems like artists who down tune often prefer aluminum necks. Honestly no idea how they sound.

Travis Beans don't stay in tune that's why no one uses them. The aluminum used in their necks is subject to temperature changes in an extremely noticeable manner, tuning one up and standing in front of hot stage lights throws them off for example. Veleno guitars did the same shit. They're useless if you care about staying somewhere close to pitch in a live situation.

I manned up and did it... nothing went wrong.

You see, in Michigan, we have this place called Marshell's Music.

>tfw you're retarded all this time thirsting for a literal meme

I upgraded the pickups in my blacktop jazzmaster and love it.
Try one out sometime.

What I want to do is paint my bass to a color I like (currently black). Should I do this, if so, how should I go about doing it?