Why has her career gone nowhere...

Why has her career gone nowhere? Once in a while I look to see if her new antics expanded her fanbase but really she only seems to piss off her own fans. Why is what she is doing just not working?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eeuwBcpKK6g
dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

She just had to have her little feminist outcry, alienated those who don't care about her made up problems (oh no people find her attractive on the internet and become obsessive, like that has never happened to men before), then made a mediocre album.

She also constantly talks about trying to make music much more complex than what it turns out to be - she was obsessed with key changes because, I believe it was Ray Charles was that was obsessed with it? Bitch couldn't fucking figure out that key changes date all the fucking way back to Bach.

Overall she tried way too hard to be something greater than she was (a synth pop singer), and failed miserably.

shes in her mid 20's acting like a 16 year old
how body isn't sexy
her music only appeals to other weirdos who wish to be normal but society won't accept them no matter how much they beg

I like her music but shes at her peak fame wise.

2much drug weeds. it burns your brain man.

late 20s*
She turns 29 on St. Patty's Day

>mid 20's
she's fucking 28 dude

Nigga, her latest album Art Angels + its tour were her most successful by far (both by sales and critical acclaim). Her fanbase also expanded a lot. So, what are you talking about?

shes constantly touring and just had her song in the biggest movie of the summer. wtf are u talking about?

wow 11k sales on the first week
chvrches is more popular than grime grime

>I like her music
>her music only appeals to other weirdos who wish to be normal but society won't accept them no matter how much they beg
What that says about you?

Just saying, her stock is about to skyrocket when 2K comes out in the 20th. Her name is plastered on the front with Imagine Dragons and Noah "40" Shebib, the guy who created the Toronto sound with Drake and Boi-1da in '08. Kill V. Maim will be blasting through ~5 million consoles by the end of the year.

>wow 11k sales on the first week
A lot for an indie album. She sold more since then. Anyway, my point is still valid: bigger sales than before and bigger acclaim.

>chvrches is more popular than grime grime
Chvrches is more accessible and they toured a lot. Checkmate.

the correct sentence structure would be "what does that say about you?"
it feels so good to help out the mentally challenged, i've done my good deed for the day

>grimes is constantly touring
>Chvrches is more accessible and they toured a lot
????????????????????????
chvrches is indie also

>grimes is constantly touring
No. Her shows are far more sparse and smaller than Chvrches. Chvrches are one of the hardest working known bands on the planet. I bet they play over 200 shows per year. Grimes is not even close.

so you're back agreeing with what I said
grimes isn't popular and the situation is barely changing

>grimes isn't popular and the situation is barely changing
Grimes is fairly popular and the situation changed a lot since AA was released. She's becoming more and more popular. But: she's too quirky to be really mainstream. She has her own niche.

who even wants to see people play synths live

>who even wants to see people play synths live
Lots of people. Synths are instruments, just like a guitar or a piano. And you're forgetting the singer, which is an important part of every band.

> And you're forgetting the singer, which is an important part of every band.
youtube.com/watch?v=eeuwBcpKK6g
thats great but um what kind of singing is this?

>wow 11k sales on the first week
This isn't the 70s. Nobody can get Hotel California sales in this day and age.

adele and drake say hi

"People like to joke that I should record a blues album sometime. I'm not saying I'd never do it, but I'm not exactly holding my breath. Too bad nobody can sell albums anymore except for maybe Adele."

-- Ozzy Osborne

who?

sales dont matter in music anymore grandpa

Weird singing. That video has a bad quality and Grimes wasn't on top form. Watch this instead (professionally filmed): dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593

>adele and drake
Not even them can match the sales of Hotel California. And if we're talking about a weird artist like Grimes, you can't really expect huge sales. She's too patrician for the masses (including the plebby Sup Forums).

What does? If not sales then revenue from live touring? Anyone that uses music as a career has to make money to support themselves and their continued creative efforts. grimes is popular as much because of her waifu loving fanbase as for her music. She about to hit 30 and it will be pretty much downnnhill from there. 20 somethings and younger gravitate to artists their age and especially for females. Once the physical attributes start to show age (Think the criticism Marina ids getting now for her appearance ) then the next younger replacement is sought out.

Grimes has the potential to be the new Bjork. Long and successful career, bigger reputation with every passing year. She was consistently great for over 6 years already.

Maybe but I really don't see it happening and Bjork isn't popular with anyone outside of Sup Forums or RYM. She can't sellout large venues and from what I can see grimes is really striving to break into the mainstream which quite frankly isn't going to happen.

>Maybe but I really don't see it happening
I can see it happening. She did 4 great albums (and a great EP) so far, so what's stopping her to make another 4? She seems that kind of artist that could make innovative music for years. She has lots and lots of crazy music ideas.

>and Bjork isn't popular with anyone outside of Sup Forums or RYM
Bjork is really popular irl. She had big hits and big sales. You're underestimating her popularity.

>She can't sellout large venues and from what I can see grimes is really striving to break into the mainstream which quite frankly isn't going to happen.
She can't sellout large venues yet, but she's on the right track. This album's campaign built her a much bigger fanbase that it only grow, and by the time her next album will be out, she will have her biggest shows.

god you are so bitter lmao

enjoy acting like an "adult" whatever you think that means

Grimes is turning into an old hack in two years, and she is supposedly taking a break so she can train to be an UFC fighter so she has no chance of ever being a big mainstream star, at much she can achieve Lana lever of relevance,

>Grimes is turning into an old hack in two years
You're delusional my friend. Many Sup Forums users also said that she will be forgotten after Visions, and as you can see they were completely wrong.

>she is supposedly taking a break so she can train to be an UFC fighter
She changes her mind often. I'll take that with a grain of salt.

>Doesn't understand the concept of ESL...

I'm talking about her turning 30... How many pop start do you know that got big in their 30's? She has two years left to make it, if not she has no chance of ever becoming a super start.

You have clearly never seen speedball-era Depeche Mode. You can have a fucking insane gig with synths.

Grimes is the textbook definition of a slow-burn art success story. Look at virtually any metric regarding the significant points along her career path so far (such as record sales for instance) and you will notice a trend. Whatever her latest project may be (and regardless of how much controversy there is among past fans about it) it always ends up being the best performing (in terms of simple business economics/public outreach terms) thing of her career to date.

Sure - it's gonna take her longer than the average artist attempting to follow a similar career path to reach the highest echelons of success (due to the solitary nature of her artistic process.) But the advantage to working in such a way that time is always on your side is that the only limit to your eventual success is the amount of time you are willing to put into it. And Claire Boucher has made it very clear from the start that Grimes is something that she intends to let play out for the long haul.