Manu Chao appreciation thread. How come I never see anything related to Manu on this board?

Manu Chao appreciation thread. How come I never see anything related to Manu on this board?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BCoP7G2K7Hc&ab_channel=PiaEmma
youtube.com/watch?v=A6Gy-0tH76U
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What do you expected, he sings in spanish... mostly.

Actually, I don't expect much from Sup Forums.

Me gusta marihuana, me gusta tu Sup Forums

Mano Negra>>>Manu Chao

>early 2000s gypsy spick music
>relevant

there's not a whole lot to discuss

I like this album a lot, though. When I first listened to it again last year after about 15 years, I was surprised just how well I remembered it.

this

Proxima Estacion; Esperanza is better although Rainin In Paradise is my jam.

¡PATCHANKA!

man, this reminds me of better times. something went wrong along the last ten, fifteen years

Give me a break, there's as much to be discussed in that album than any other pop album.

Manu Chao, in very typical populist folk tradition, is entirely about the message and the lyrics, which at times leaves the music behind.

The blend of spanish folk and singing about political mumbojumbo can be beautiful, like in Desaparecido. it can also be nonsense, like in Welcome to Tijuana.

He doesn't take himself too seriously, and I think that's a good thing. I also appreciate that he
a) puts on an accent when singing in french despite being born and raised in paris
b) puts on a latin american accent when singing in spanish despite being raised by his spaniard parents

it all comes off as unpretentious. it's very charming, in a low-fi kind of way. in other albums it can be kind of grating, in a "i've been cornered by this guy that says he's lived with the zapatistas in chiapas" kind of way.

too bad this thread went nowhere, but i´m not surprised. not even a tiny bit

It is impossible to hate Manu Chao. There's no way you can listen to this and not feel good.
youtube.com/watch?v=BCoP7G2K7Hc&ab_channel=PiaEmma

That's exactly what Manu Chao is supposed to be and he does it perfectly. Just really nice music. I've found that the songs in french/spanish are even better to english listeners because you can put your own interpretations onto them. For example, Denia makes me pretty much tear up (lots of memories associated from better times) and the story I have for it in my head probably has nothing to do with the actual lyrics but I don't think I'd appreciate it as much if I knew what it was about.

Also Mano Negra was great too, you're absolutely right that Manu is underappreciated but I don't think many people under 21 would even know about his stuff, and that's most of the Sup Forumsserbase

>tear up (lots of memories associated from better times)

I only knew his chill music like King of the Bongo. Then I saw him live at Sziget in August and became a fan instantly. Seriously, what a cool fucking dude. His music is energetic as fuck live, blew me away how he just unexpectedly changes from folk to ska rhythm.

hahahah that post made it sound a lot worse than it really is, really it's just memories from when I was a little kid (who wasn't happier at age 4 or 5 than they are now?) and discovering music with my parents. The only feelsy thing is that's from back when my parents were still together and we were the prototypical happy family living in our new home etc etc but that was nearly 20 years ago.

The main reason that song is such a tearjerker is that I still somehow remember how it made me feel when I was 4 years old hearing it for the first time, one of the few songs I can remember like that. I then lost that CD for at least 10 years so it stayed fresh and unspoiled so hearing that song after all that time just brought on shitloads of nostalgia. I still only listen to it probably once or twice a year tops to preserve that+I get too melancholy whenever I hear it

aww thanks user :3

Never liked his solo stuff but I have mad respect for Mano Negra

Esto es música de hippie falopero.

Welcome to Sup Forumsjuana! Tequila, virgins and marijuana!

cuck

Clandestino was my AOTY when it came out, or a top contender anyhow. Listened to it constantly. Later, in 2008ish I worked with a guy from Mexico City and he gave me some of his other albums and Mano Negra but I wasn't feeling them especially. Earlier this year I got Proxima Estacion Esperanza from a sharethread and was really happy with it. Seems like a continuation of the Clandestino album, in the way Ill Communication was like a continuation of Check your Head.

Thank you for sharing that feel. I know that feel all too well.

well, looks like this isn´t a thread for the youngsters but for those who got older and still cling onto Sup Forums. obviously not everything went well, i mean we are still here. i´m counting for next year bringing me better times. you hang in there, user! i know i do

I love the way he played with samples in crazy ways in Esperanza and Casa Babylon, so fun and interesting... reminds me of The Avalanches somehow

Desaparecido when u blazin hard.

I remember when my parents used to play his albums in the car...

That song is the stuff my Middle School History teacher played when we were working. It was pretty chill and made me work better.

It's neat actually hearing it years later.

no love for machine gun? wtf?
youtube.com/watch?v=A6Gy-0tH76U
>there isn´t even a good video of it on the ´tube

page ten goodbye, thread!

This song is amazing live. Also love how he uses the trumpet parts of this so g hroughout his show whenever he goes into ska rhythm.

hoy día luna día pena

his music always reminds me of the old days when i was just about to get into college. there were so many european alternative students that did house partys with this kind of music. BOMBALA!

that feel when he already traveled the world while you were just a child