Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!WtVymZjC!NaU1Hdhts0bcL-POL6ES5ovsxqRk43IqlQBWT-iRwG8
youtube.com/watch?v=BQRfHFgz6cM
youtube.com/watch?v=oaz19hVpklQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

pitchfork told me it's shit

It's pretty great. it should've ended on baby don't sleep though

Pitchfork said it was bad so I'm not even going to bother listening to it :^)

"intellectual" cheesy rap for white people who can't even into death grips

>Pitchfork

Do you think neo-Pitchfork would hate all the Def Jux stuff they used to love a decade ago?

Pitchfork loves bad rap

They seem to have a nice relationship with El-P right now, but their reviews have always been less about music and more about image/what the artist can bring them

Wait till the Fantano review, people will post more about it

its ok. somehow daveed's voice never sold the space theme for me, preferred their EP.

>Pitchfork loves bad rap

you're right, and they must hate good rap because they gave this album a 5/10.

AOTY

I don't like it very much, I don't like some of the hymn-y feels, and the whole space thing isn't really doing it for me

and also, It sounds like they tried to make an album to appeal to edgy Hamilton fans

sounds like the world's most boring "scary" album

>scary
what?

Splendor and Misery > Bottomless Pit

Mega anyone?

Huge clipping fan, I thought it was interesting but not something I'm likely to listen to often like their EPs and other two full lengths. It seems like this one was far more influenced by Daveed's work in Hamilton and Jonathan's film score work than William's noise, and while it was cool to see what sort of an album that produced, I'd much prefer to see them sticking more to noisy stuff in the future.
I heard it while intensely sleep-deprived and high on caffeine at work at 4:30am, so it felt very surreal, like I was listening to a dream or a drug trip. I'll give it another shot while in a more normal state soon.

Here's a link from the archive, supposed to be V0:
mega.nz/#!WtVymZjC!NaU1Hdhts0bcL-POL6ES5ovsxqRk43IqlQBWT-iRwG8

grime is a dead genre.

It's good but is right. It's no clppng or midcity. Going for atmosphere way more than accessibility. Definitely seems to be influenced by Hamilton on some level. Narration is interesting.

I think the switch up is interesting. I just wish they'd have gone for a more drastic sound. At some points I wish the noise would simply be more present for atmosphere's sake. Probably missing the most in All Black.

Yeah, definitely would have benefitted from more noise in places, I feel like it would've even aided the atmosphere they were going for.

Never understood the appeal
one of the worst vocalist i've heard, and their beats are not that interesting as well
also
>>>>>>>>>>"""""noise influences"""""
literally where, most of their shit sounds like generic modern radio hip hop

Pretty good. Cool concept and narration, but a decent amount of filler for a 37 minute project. Baby don't sleep, break the glass, and all black are fire.

Mid City had much more noise, even clppng had more, but definitely less than mid city

Apparently I'm in the minority in that I liked it a lot. Love the story and the lyrics.

People are all talking about how the production is more of just an atmospheric drone instead of an actual beat for some songs, but there are still plenty of songs with great beats, like Wake Up, True Believer, Air 'Em Out, Break the Glass, Baby Don't Sleep, and particularly A Better Place. In terms of production I think this is easily on par with their previous projects.

I get how some people could dislike the beats for All Black or The Breach or the Interludes, but personally I didn't mind them. Even on the a cappella tracks, Long Way Away and Story 5 the vocal performances were good enough that the tracks didn't get boring, and I think they fit really well into the flow and atmosphere of the album.

I've only listened to it twice all the way through and played several of the tracks over again, and I think it's at least an 8/10, maybe a 9.

Baby Don't Sleep is the only track I've relistened to much

it's the best one

>most of their shit sounds like generic modern radio hip hop
youtube.com/watch?v=BQRfHFgz6cM

seriously? are you serious? you can't be serious. seriously?

I think he meant this: youtube.com/watch?v=oaz19hVpklQ

I love this album. Seriously. Might be AOTY for me. Not a big fan of their other work, CLPPNG was cool but it had nothing that kept me going back to it. Liked Wriggle more. But this is fucking amazing. The concept is well executed, all the different ideas come together perfectly, lyrics are expressive and keep me interested, instrumentals are atmospheric as fuck. Love everything about it, even Story 5.

Holy shit not the guy you replied to, but Bottomless Pit is only good, nothing more honestly, and Splendor and Misery is easily better. And I'm a huge Death Grips fan, going to see them live twice in two different cities next month.

clipping has always sounded so contrived and phony. i think its eveyrhting about the vocalist and the cleanliness of the instrumentals

>one of the worst voicalists i've heard
I never get this complaint. I really like Daveed Diggs' delivery and lyricism. He has this bleak, aggressive edge in his voice that goes well with the imagery in the lyrics.

It's really, really good.
I was surprised by this sort of cohesive piece from Clipping. Their only prior album that I can compare Splendor and Misery to would perhaps be Midcity, as it has a very minimal and vague progression going on. SaM, however, is a complete work. It's got the kind of tonal progression that I've heard on, say, The Downward Spiral. Perhaps not to the same level (TDS is a masterpiece in this area), but certainly comparable.
The atmosphere and ambiance present in this album also really amazed me, as Clipping's sound is normally much more dry and abrasive.
This LP is, in my opinion, one of the AOTYSF, and I think I may re-listen to it a few times in full to attempt to fully appreciate what they've done.

Honestly was hoping for "story 5" to be somewhat similiar to the other stories, but instead had some gospel type shit (which is the theme of the album but still). Otherwise I loved the album a lot!

I like Story 5 better than the other Stories really. The refrain gets me every time.
>come hoome
>Graace come hooome

Totally not was I was expecting but I fucking love the space theme and I feel like Baby Don't Sleep is the best song on this album.

I enjoy it, not sure how I'd rate it yet though. I like how tense it is and the 'found footage' sound of the freestyles. The hymns and slave songs were unexpected inclusions but I think they work well.

I think that All Black had the most atmosphere for me. The emptiness of it was the feeling it was trying to get across

Makes more sense why Wriggle came out now, seeing as Splendor and Misery only had a half dozen non-interludes. Love it on it's own, but not sure if I like it as much Midcity or CLPPNG.

What will Fantano give it? I'm guessing Light 6.

I'm guessing at least an 8.

anyone got a link?

it's pretty dope, the concept/story is a lot more solid than i expected
the interludes are interesting, and the songs are good enough to not occupy 100% of the album

>What will Fantano give it?

I honestly think he will give it at least a 9. If you notice, he has been holding off on reviewing it for a strangely long time. It has been out for weeks but he has been reviewing other albums instead. He did say on Facebook the review is "coming soon" but besides that he hasn't said a word about it. when he does that, I think it usually means that either a major pan or a 9 is coming. Fantano loves keeping people on their toes but he hasn't given a single indication of how he feels about the album either on twitter, facebook or youtube afaik, which is weird.

also forgot to mention, clipping. so far is one of Fantano's "darlings" so to speak. Midcity = 8, CLPPING was a *strong* 9 (highest score an album can get without being a 10) and was in his top 5 for the year it came out, and the Wriggle EP = 7.

also, he interviewed them at one point.

The album came out officially today, I don't think Fantano puts out reviews of things that aren't out yet officially.

That noise wall at the end of A Better Place was fucking insane

Great album, might take a bit until most people get used to it though

It sucks....it's 70% talking, and explaining whats going on. It has like 3 good songs. Then it turns into Hamilton?????

It's a great concept, but it lacks cohesion, and it fucking lacks music.

fuck yourself.

it's true

Bottomless Pit is one of DG's weakest albums

Spikes is really the only standout song, and Three Bedrooms In A Good Neighborhood I guess

I love Splendor and Misery but this is a joke.

It's 10/10
It made everything else I listened to sound like shit.
I guess it's because I have a thing for space.
I think every songs fits great into the concept.

Fav Track: A Better Place

why does it sound like this nigga daveed is reading a manual very quickly? am i supposed to understand this shit without the lyrics?

One of the best concept albums of the decade