AOTY

AOTY

yes

Haven't heard it yet, but it probably will be.

distant sky is goat

Yes
Cave O))) when

Yeah it is

Easily

This, about to listen right now

All I've heard is Jesus Alone and that was a Blackstar level of phoned in bad

Listening to the album now though

The vinyl is too big to fit in between my other records

Yes, it is the album of the year

(In my opinion lol)

People liked Blackstar.
You didn't?

>Not posting the obvious

Confirmed, this is AOTY

Holy shit

Distant Sky tho ;_;

it was meh, English Riviera still metronomy goat

link?

How much bigger?

Spelt love letters wrong

did school finish already?

no.

Anyone cry whilst listeningto the album or watching the movie?
Girl in Amber got me hard, cried hard and felt like shit for crying on the 3rd track.

Somehow completely missed this until this week.

Pretty damn solid. A few real standout songs. But idk if it's AOTY. It almost feels like a solo project for some reason. I'll have to revisit their other albums and see how I feel about them after some time has passed.

>solo project

The Bad Seeds have been just that since forever.

Posted this in the wrong thread.

Can anyone confirm Susie Bick is the female vocalist on Distant Sky?

I was quoting the Metronomy album posted above.

But it is funny that it applies to Nick Cave just as well.

It's so unremarkable and phoned in, it has all the cues that Blackstar had. Just one idea per song and some "heavy" emotional lyricism with just about no direction at all.

Unfortunately due to the number of tracks and how Cave has written this in a time of reflection after a major event in his life it invites too many comparisons to The Good Son, which is so fucking unfavourable for Cave because when I listen to that album I can tell Cave is in this moment where he's able to look back on and reflect on his life thus far and the choices he has made to come to where he was at the time of recording it and offer some sometimes tragic and introspective thoughts on his present state.

This album sounds like Cave needed a reason to go back to touring and had to kind of break the ice about his son dying. The biblical and death references were the first sign of an album that was made with the sole intent of marking off some kind of criteria, like a kid who has written a story about death because his teacher made him do it for english.

Beyond the idea that Cave is breaking the ice of his son's death to find a way to tour lies a much more sinister idea that maybe he is capitalizing on it?

Besides the lyrical content the music on the album is just fucking boring, for a comparison Patti Smith's worst song is Birds, pretty interesting story/lyrics but the song isn't amazing because its constrained by the lyrical content. Every song on this album is like that, one note and made to fit in with the really shitty lyrics Cave has written and when you first listen to one minute of the song you can just skip it because you've basically listened to all of it.

Also I hope that isn't his wife singing on Distant Sky because if it is that's a whole new level of "maybe they're making this album for the money and not because his son is dead".

Go listen to Eluvium - False Readings On instead

phew, don't you think you're just too intellectual to be listening to music?

kys

Most of the songs and lyrics were written prior to his son's death. Also that wasn't his wife singing.

She's not. I forgot the singer but it's not Susie.

>The biblical and death references were the first sign of an album that was made with the sole intent of marking off some kind of criteria, like a kid who has written a story about death because his teacher made him do it for english.

His entire oeuvre is littered with Biblical references, especially his novels

Else torp

Nah I'm good.

Then I don't have to feel bad for calling it out for being stale.

When the album was recorded matters more than when the songs were written anyway. And then there's the documentary about his son's death that comes packaged with the album.

That does beg the question of "why is everyone fawning over this mediocre Nick Cave album?" though.

Yeah they've never been so wordy and articulate though, even The Firstborn is Dead which is like his wordiest album was still more focused on sonic quality than the lyrical quality. I know Cave is proud of being a writer but his writing is getting in the way of the quality of the music.

it really isn't true
from the fact alone that their sound changed so much when harvey left and ellis came in you can tell it's a band
why do you think they have two drummers?
why is savage coming in and out to contribute?
sure, nick and ellis write the music but the bad seeds work like an ensemble where every musician influences the sound in his own way

love letters is shite

THATS IT REEEEEEEEE