What's your favorite moment on this album?

What's your favorite moment on this album?

>the theremin solo on I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

>The train passing by in the end representing Brian's suicide after seeing how Caroline has changed

>where can i turn when my fair weather friends cop out

i love that part

>I wanna cryyyyyyyyyy

Basically the whole of You Still Believe in Me.

Classicalfag here, how do I learn to like this album?

active listening

is this confirmed or just a theory? either way I won't listen to that album the same way ever again...

intro of god only knows

> listen, listen, listen

There isn't a theremin on that song

Don't overthink it. It's just pop music

It's how I've always interpreted it. Super depressing song followed by a train noise? He's gotta be jumping in front of that train

so you admit it's not worth listening to?

this

and the fade out on god only knows

That train noise was pretty random compared to the rest of the album

the random animal sounds too

Is the point of music an intellectual one?

its not really random the narrative is about a sad guy transitioning into adulthood and the train is a metaphor for him moving on from his relationship problems

or it's how he kills himself

>the sax solo on I know there's an answer

[citations needed]

>not listening to Hang On To Your Ego instead of I Know There's an Answer

It's our interpretations. Not everything is objective you autist

>The instrumental break on Here Today

it's a bass harmonica

Please tell me you and I aren't the only ones who do this. When I listen to pet sounds I have a Spotify playlist with that song replaced

>Not everything is objective you autist
If intended by the artist, it is

We don't know Brian's intentions. He probably wanted us to give it our own intentions

>when the guitar comes in on Let's Go Away for a While

this moment was tasty live, brians band did a fantastic job with the whole album

I honestly can't hear I Know There's an Answer anymore. Hang On To Your Ego is a much more powerful phrase

No. It is a spiritual one.

maybe in October... we will know the "truth"(?)...

fuck
Why so do you guys do this? Asking out of pure curiosity because I have no clue what the Hang On To Your Ego is

>We don't know Brian's intentions
Did you research it?
Then complexity/technicality is irrelevant. Don't over think it, just listen and try to understand.

It's the original lyrics for I Know There's an Answer before Mike Love made Brian change it due to drug references. Hang On To Your Ego is much stronger tho

Not them but it's the original version of I Know There's An Answer. It was rewritten because someone was pissing about LSD references in the lyrics.

It's stupid to replace the song because they're only doing it because d00d LSD XD

good to know, thanks anons

Yeah I just read up on it, and the original makes much more sense. Lines like "they trip through the day, and waste all their thoughts at night" don't really apply to the internal motivational issues Mike Love introduced with the changes.

dogs, and they sound like they are barking in the distance very atmospheric

>I CAN TRY TO BE BIG IN THE EYES OF THE WORLD. wHAT MATTERS TO ME IS WHAT I CAN BE FOR JUST ONE GIRL

that's the opposite of what the album is

That's Not Me fucks me up.

"I could try to be big in the eyes of the world, but what matters to me is what I could be to just one girl."

Heard that song for the first time on LSD. That lyric came on and I completely melted. I was about a week out of a rough break-up. Destroyed me.

this

fuck off

The vocal/prepared piano intro to You Still Believe in Me.

no, you fuck off

The fast changing chord pace is delicious

>YOU DIDN'T THINK, THAT I COULD SIT BACK AND LET YOUUUUUU GO

the very beginning of that's not me, or the drums kicking in at the end of i'm waiting for the day

That moment in Pet Sounds when the chords start changing and that 2 note melody on the guitar stays the same and shines differently as each chord passes by, I love it.

I love the whole song (and the whole album), but this song always seems to be disliked a lot.

All of "thats not me"

>Pet Sounds isn't pop

>the instrumentals on pet sounds

most underrated song on the album

Does this album have any actual bad moments though?

The mixing. It sounds like shit.

Classicalfag BTFO

>O cuando seré. Un día seré.

>the end of the chorus and before the second verse on i'm waiting for the day when the drums kick in

The big drop on the Pet Sounds instrumental

DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUUNNN

hnnng

everything is perfect in the album
but if i had to choose it would be all of lets go away for a while and the outro of god only knows

Has someone ever done a shoegaze cover of Dont Talk?

-The way "That's Not Me" keeps growing and just starts repeating from " I once had a dream..."

-That feeling of yearning that "Wouldn't It Be Nice" gives.

-The winds in "Here Today", especially that baritone saxo.

-The modest percussion in "Caroline, No", going into that dull, solitary section before the ending and train part.

-Both "Pet Sounds" and "Let's Go Away For Awhile" being completely instrumental.

-Overall, how each song is just layers and layers of instruments, lyrics and feelings that only work like they are: carefully produced and arranged. So much of it is lost if played live. Although seeing Brian play them over the years shows that they have a charm in their core that is not lost.

>Not listening to both on your playlist.
I'm the only dumb fuck that does that, right?

sloop john b should had been instrumental

The harmonies at the end of You Still Believe in Me. That right there is fucking ART.

"You didn't think! No! That I could sit around watch you go!"

>Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray it might come true

>RUN RUN WEE-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

Its hard to even decide. Probably Here Today when I feel down or the almost positive melancholy of Its Not Me. Or You Still Believe In Me
I think most feels for some reason gives me Its Not Me, the whole mood of it

KEEP IN MIND LOVE IS HERE

YOU DIDN'T THINK

Haha I like this part

AS I LAY I WILL DREAAAAAM

What are those horns on Here Today? Trombones? Love that song.

God Only Knows singing maybe

I don't know what to make of this album. It's literally the best piece of non-classical music out there.

I just wasnt made for these times after the six part harmony it goes; daaaaaa daa na na na naaaa I guess I just wasnt made for these tiiiiimes

I dont know he captures these feels.

The intro to YSBIM

tfw you saw him live in probably his last ever tour ;_;

Shame I didn't bring my camera and had to take shitty pics with my shitty phone

Were you made for these times, bros?

>Don't overthink it. it's just music
why are you on Sup Forums?

any time they use the carnival organ

>this song always seems to be disliked a lot.
wat

>they say I got brains
>but they ain't doing me no good
>i wish they could...

hits a little too close to home

This so hard.

I listened to this song's a capella mix for the first time about two years ago, and when this part kicked in I legitimately started crying. It wasn't even because the song related to me lyrically or anything, the ending bit with "GOOD NIGHT, OH BABY"/"Bah, bah bah bah, bah bah bah"/"RUN RUN WHEE-OOOOOOOOOH" is just the most fucking wonderfully constructed canon I've ever heard and I had never heard anything but "Good night baby" before hearing the a capella mix. Then I hear the a capella mix and this intricately weaved canon just fucking jumps out at me and I just lost it.

I've been a diehard fan of this band since.

>I WANNA CRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

>the way the snares come in significantly louder towards the end of Let's Go Away for Awhile after the guitar+harp part

Only on the mono version, too, which means it was mixed like that rather than being recorded like that. This is why I love Brian Wilson.

No it isn't. Read some Barthes.

>doesn't know about the death of the author

it's like you're living in the 19th century

this. holy shit it's good

When it ends.

I know perfectly well I'm not where I should be