Thoughts on e-Sports?

Thoughts on e-Sports?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zpaT5cbCIZM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Weird

Literally not a sport.

why doesn't ESPN create a brand new website dedicated to its esports crap?

One time I clicked on esports article on ESPN just to see the comments. They were all negative. Stuff like 'this isnt sports' or 'wow ESPN is stooping so low" kind of stuff. They're just hurting their own image, do they not realize this? Pretty soon people are gonna stop using ESPN as a default sports website because of the annoying esports stuff, and go to the competition.

Not a sport

Not a sport

Pathetic.

Yet another facet of a shit-tier society that enables and encourages idiots to give value to the utterly meaningless.

e-""""""""""""""""""""""""""""sports""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Just as much of a sport as Texas Hold'em poker, so therefore it should be on ESPN2 during the afternoon on Monday through Thursdays.

Why go so far? People are having fun and doing something they enjoy. And creating wealth.

Not a sport but no reason to poop on it.

It is skill based and that is all.
It isn't physically enduring.
Doesn't require talent

It isn't a sport

Hearthstone is the E-sportiest E-sport

They try really hard to make it "sporty" but if anything it is alternative sport.

I enjoy esports but I really wish there was a better name for it. I also wish they wouldn't go for the normie audience. I have no illusions about it being "cool." Let me enjoy it in my dark room by myself.

I keep seeing that eSports commercial on TNT a lot

kek thanm you for being honest. I dont think we'll ever see the say normies gather together, one brings the chips, another the beer, and they all gather around a computer screen. This is the kind of this you stream on the background while you play the actual game yourself

I can see it being big but it doesn't have a normie crowd u less they purposely make Halo, CoD, more normie based games. LoL, and Starcraft won't bring in normies.

There has only ever been one good esport and that was StarCraft BW

Everything else is meme pleb shit

>schalke

>I rate cloud 9

Who would? They're meme tier

It reminds me so much of soccer

When SC2 was the big dog in terms of "esports", I remember going to a net cafe in Berkeley to watch GSL and it just didn't feel right. Doesn't help that by comparison to the crowd there I felt like a filthy normie, which is a very rare situation for me.

Is Brazil elite?

You mean video games?

I went to an MLG to watch SC2 in 2011. There was also a frat at my college that had a small auditorium-esque room where they would watch BW games live.

I forgot to finish my thought. I felt comfortable in both cases. I doubt I would ever go to a sports bar analogue and watch esports though.

This.

>Arguing with co-worker over e-sports
>he says it's a sport
>I (Not being a retard) say it isn't a sport
>He claims it's a sport because it involves competition
>Ask him if advertising is a sport because it involves competition
>He says yes

I swear this guy is retarded, he sent a photo of himself with his CV when he applied for the job.

I remember watching BW Proleague in the wee hours of the night on shitty restreams in on-campus housing or nearby apartments. Always fucked my sleep patterns.

i went to the Homestorycup 4 times to watch SC2 on to the ESL studios to watch SC2 and LoL
had really good times there desu

Will never be as profitable as real sports since there's no real city based teams or anything. The contracts are kind of nonsense and players jump team to team if they're American based.

I actually worked for MLG during college and I can say that it's all nonsense. It's becoming popular recently with million dollar tournaments but it's going to become over saturated with all of these forced games like Overwatch and Hearthstone

i like that there is no refball, no offseason, and that there is an official online stream for every game. beyond that, i like that i can apply what i learn about strategy to my own game. for example, watching football feels kind of stupid to me because i will never play football again anyways, whereas watching top level fighting games is fun because there are tournaments regularly held nationwide that anyone can join.

it's more of a sport than chess is, because it does not only requires strategy, but there is also physical skill involved in most games. most games heavily reward superior reaction times, situational awareness, and hand-eye coordination. with that being said, i would be hesitant to refer to e-sports participants as athletes.

THE GAMING GOAT

The team jumping is really annoying. I play LoL and I'm watching LCS for the first time, I look at a player I like and he's played for eight teams in the last two years.

>Yet another facet of a shit-tier society that enables and encourages idiots to give value to the utterly meaningless.

I think because of it not being city based, makes it better. If it were city based and had scheduled like basketball, or soccer, or baseball, it would just get even more over saturated

The team jumping is dumb. They definitely need it to be contract sports based to prevent that shit

>support two orgs (SK and dignitas)
>both their LoL teams get relegated within half ayear of each other and seem dead as fuck

suffering

People are going to disagree: but I thinkhigh level esports players/teams that grind harder than standard pro athletes.

The physical body knows when to stop, with esports you or your teammates/org determines when you stop. Both of them watch and study film of themselves and others.

Then with being esports opposed to jock athletes, it's not as if they are wasting their time at clubs, fucking women and other things.

I honestly believe if you were to take an average of the top100 athletes vs esports athletes who spend more time on their craft. Esport athletes would have more hours logged.

i wouldn't put money on that, considering that it is a billion dollar industry and still in its infancy. kids are now growing up watching the competitive leagues for these games, so it's going to be normalized in 10 or so years and i only see it getting more and more popular. i wouldn't be surprised if the industry doubled in size over the next couple of years

eventually, i think there will be a game that "sticks" as the official competitive game, but that is really just wild speculation

t. Someone who has never trained a day in their life

Overtraining and fatigue. In the training cycle, rest will always take up the most time.

>Then with being esports opposed to jock athletes, it's not as if they are wasting their time at clubs, fucking women and other things.
>it's not as if they are wasting their time at clubs, fucking women and other things.
>wasting their time at clubs, fucking women and other things.
>wasting their time
>fucking women
>wasting their time
>fucking women
>wasting their time
>fucking women

lol all e-sports players burn out at like 22, is there an e-sport player in his 30s?

It has a level of excitement that makes any team a possible team to be eliminated. Unlike basketball, football, soccer, or even baseball you can determine who will win before the season starts more or less. With the eSports teams, you don't know cause literally anything can happen.

Rekkles is a team jumping faggot

>he watches sports

Melee's the most fun to watch 2bqhwyf

Also I enjoy competitive vidya, but hate the term esports. It's not a sport and it really shouldn't be piggybacking on the word for some false credibility.

Yeah there are a few cs:go players I believe and daigo umehara who is 35 now and still placing very high in street fighter.

But that's the other thing, it's not as if they could sustain themselves before and as of late they could. So it's now possible and more likely there will be players in their 30's.

Where else are these guys going to find opportunities to win millions and then get 6 figure salaries. Before it was them barely scraping by if you weren't a top team winning most of the prize money.

That's exactly his point. In order to be a competitive video game player, you need to practice over 10 hours a day. It requires you to have a ton of dedication, and your mindset is often the thing that sets you apart from others. In esports, there's no such thing as getting to the top just because you won the genetic lottery.

You think it's a joke, but it really isn't if you want to be competing for a world championship. You can't afford a life outside of the game or do anything else.

One of the best teams in china for LoL actually self destructed due to this. One of the players got benched and pretty much kicked off the team due to him having a gf. Which was causing him not being able to practice with the team as much as they wanted to and felt like was deteriorating his play.

“This guy's deck is CRAZY!” “My deck can't win against a deck like that” "He NEEDED precisely those two cards to win" “He topdecked the only card that could beat me” "He had the perfect cards" “There was nothing I could do” “I played that perfectly"

Unfortunately, modern games are memes.
The true champions of insane skill and talent played Quake and Starcraft.

youtube.com/watch?v=zpaT5cbCIZM

Of course, society is shit so those games have been replaced for dumbed down clones.

You forgot Street Fighter

>season ending gf

I understand the top 3 flags but the bottom 3? Is there some meme that i am not memed-up on?

who /rapha/ here?

Not actually sports.
Should call it professional e-competition or something.

Flash > Faker

Please respond. The bottom 9 pokemon are pretty shit and lack basic infrastructure. Is there something i am missing?

Went to check on the situation, it could actually be a career ending gf. He was actually demoted to the semi-pro league, d-league team that the org owns.

Since they still own him as a player under contract, so he's no longer going to be able to scrim and play with/vs pro players as frequent.

So that could also deteriorate his play as well, then if the team does qualify it's possible they just become one of the worst in the league.

Unless he gets traded somewhere else that is a middle of the road. This really was a career ending gf, which most likely completely changed his career trajectory.

Every esports thread summed up

>WAAAHH ITS NOT A SPORT REEEEEE
>video games are for children!
>it's like chess!
>Look at how many stadiums it sells out, it IS a sport!
>millions of $
>lol it takes no skill it's just playing on a computer!
>LOL vs Dota vs CS GO discussion

this. I wish they would get rid of that stupid "esport" name already since everytime you read something about it in the media everyone starts explaining why it's not a real sport.

your point?

>Career ending GF
If e-sports was actually a sport, it'd be, without competition, the most semen slurping sport in existence.

Vhh uvh h

>career ending gf
you gotta be fucking daft to throw away a million dollar salary for some slut

What else are people going to talk about these are all valid points.

I guess a topic could be done on how to make Esports more profitable and how to force other sports to change in ways to not get taken over by Esports.

ELeague is going to fail though since it's on Television. Twitch is the perfect platform for pro video games not television.

i hate how nerds think calling video games a "sport" somehow gives it legitimacy. whats wrong with it just being competitive video games? the sport tag just inspires espn to present this garbage in a sad attempt to make themselves look hip

>caring about the opinions of people who leave comments on news sites

those people are way more retarded than Sup Forums users

>someone with a winrate of 75% who can perform 300 actions per minute for half an hour in order to carry out a multifront war while making sure shit is humming along back on the homestead in a brutal 1v1 game is better than some guy who plays the babbiest version of a 5v5 game with so much downtime people often finish a drink while playing

No kidding.

>300 apm

Try 800

rapha was gifted, but I always enjoyed the russian style better.

>gookclick
>an sport

i hate how nerds think calling throwing a ball a "sport" somehow gives it legitimacy. whats wrong with it just being competitive wacky-ticky-poley-ball? the sport tag just inspires espn to present this garbage in a sad attempt to make themselves look hip

>clown9
>good

league or virgins player detected

esports are trying to compare themselves to traditional sports, not the other way around. esports are trying to achieve the legitimacy that sports has now. kill yourself you autistic retard

Peruvians are known for eating pidgeons.
Bolivia has no sea.
I dont understand the chilean one.

I can't wait to see >schalke on Sup Forums

The fighting game players argued the same. However, the nerds that watch lol, dota, etc... had already decided on esports and casters.

i have nothing against it although i'm not a gamer, but it's not a sport
somebody should post the "is it a sport" flowchart, e-sports fail at the first step

>virgins clicking buttons on a computer
>sport

Yeah nah

If >schalke League team fails miserably I don't have to shoot myself for having losers recognize my favorite sawker team