Skeleton Tree

>no Skeleton Tree thread

Thoughts on the new Nick Cave album?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_of_Christ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Else_Torp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I just finished to listening for the 4th time now. I loved it so much. My third favorite album by them, only behind Boatman's Call and Your Funeral... My Trial

Great, but I expected nothing less from him. Honestly an album hasn't made me actually cry my own tears since Blackstar.

>blackstar
>a long time ago

more albums have come out between blackstar and now. If you didn't know. Bowie and Cave aren't the only musicians mate.

Soul-Crushing, haunting stuff. AOTY contender for me. Up there with Blackstar and Untitled Unmastered.

i come to mu for the memes, but this is a rare album that is deeply depressing, and it only gets worse when you realize the context of how he must have felt recording the album

Depressing as fuck, decent overtures at times not terrible nor great.

Best song on the album? My vote goes to I need You or Distant Sky.

The whole "nothing really matters" repetition is fucking painful.

>Magneto through to I Need You
Jesus Christ

Good choice

Rings of Saturn

AOTY contender between this and Blackstar

>Magneto
Jesus Christ. This is the most devastating song I have ever heard.

Totally agreed. Both I think will be remembered as some of the best in either artists' discog, which is saying a lot given who we are talking about.

I don't have one best but Girl in Amber and Magneto are absolutely incredible. I also love the repetition of the snare that Jim Sclavunos plays on Anthrocene. The track order is one of the best ones I've ever seen tb h.

I wonder when they're going to release One More Time With Feeling on bluray.

you guys know they started recording before the good son was one more man gone right

Everyone does, but it wasn't completed either. And all of the movie was after his death so it's a different experience. It's also quite obvious which songs touch on his death and the grief that was felt.

some of us don't think crying to music every 9 months is infrequent.

This is the only album released so far this year that is on par with bowie

>Kendrick
>good
lmao

(you)

>It was the year I officially became the bride of Jesus
WDHMBT?

Man, the album is really good, except for the second song that is completely ruined by the awful backing vocals

>Completely ruined

"""No"""

Tell me how those god awful "woo-oo-oo's" don't ruin everything about the song

No, how about instead of that, you tell me the chords used in Skeleton Tree?

hey paul

Not him but how bout you kys?

1/2 step down

e 0
b 0
G 1
D 2
A 2
E 0

e 0
b 0
G 6
D 6
A 4
E

e 0
b 0
G 6
D 7
A 7
E 5

Not him but how about you kill yourself?

Nice one, thanks dude

they make the song tbqh

they ruin it desu

Putting on Cave's new documentary while cuddling up under a blanket sounds so nice. I wanna do that one day.

drink lots of water so you can cry it all out

The more i listen to it, the more i like it. Shame that i really don't like Rings Of Saturn and Distant Sky, because apart of these two, all of the songs are at least great.

I Need You, Magneto and Skeleton Tree, especially, are fantastic.

>And it's all right...
>And it's all right...
>And it's all right...

whats the name of it??

>When Susie shows the painting
>The shot on the cliff
>I Need You
>"God what would i do without Warren?"
>The ending credits

Stting on 99 meta. The new king is here.

One More Time With Feeling. It features cave interviews, performances of all of the songs, and Cave's rumination.

This album reminds me a bit of Nico's albums like Marble Index and Desertshore, the whole bleak spoken-word aesthetic.

Yeah, it's pretty excessive. At some point a reviewer's got to crack, take the risk of looking like an asshole, and give it less than 4 stars.

is this available on demand somewhere or is it only in cinemas?

first album i didn't feel bad about torrenting

is the movie getting a blu ray release or something, i'm really bummed about missing it

Composition-wise it simply isn't there though. I get your point though, very cold and landscapy.

Pardon the double -though-, don't know what got into me.

Only in Cinemas at the moment.

It's through Picturehouse Entertainment

Listened to it once yesterday, it was ok

The best thing he's done in years.

jesus alone's got some scott walker vibes

I love Distant Sky, hate Rings Of Saturn's shitty backing vocals and even ended up skipping it on my last listen

>Not liking Distant Sky

Care to explain why

I don't understand the hate for the backing vocals in Rings Of Saturn. Yeah, they're not amazing, but I don't think they're bad

what's good about it
it's corny af and the female vocal is completely out of place

Link?

I got it off >pirate bay

It's on Spotify bruh

absolutely incredible album, would be aoty if not for only the youngest grave. Magneto is a fucking haunting song.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_of_Christ

Just in reference to references of Christ being a bridegroom of sorts.

I don't either. They're just repetition that serves as a backbone to Cave's faster-paced spoken word. The entire album is great, but I think "Rings of Saturn" is one of the lyrical highlights, though the last verse seems inscrutable.

>the part where they go through all the people in and involved with the movie/album, and after Earl it's a blank wall.

Right in the feels man

This. And then they play the song. Fuck.

was that earl or arthur singing?

I'll buy it, but I don't think I'll ever play it. Everytime I see it, a tear runs down my face. How unbearable. A man who has spent his life feeling and writing about the much, and then the unthinkable happens. So, I'll flip through the vinyls and when I hit this one, a tear. and really, isn't that enough? What's the best art, but a feeling? (gee, maybe I belong in /r9k/?)

He phoned it in and went out to lunch on this one

No one will be listening to this outside the year 2016

I just noticed Distant Sky doesn't have the violin solo at the end in the album, only in the movie.
Further reason to hate this track.

Both. It was a home video/recording with Nick on piano and the kids singing.

Distant Sky is very eerie and cool if you listen to what the lyrics are really saying.

lyrics are ok but the track is horrible and the female vocal completely out of place in a nick cave song

the whole thing is just really really cheesy and ruins the album, I'll definitely be skipping from now on after giving it a couple chances

Movie goers, what part/song made you cry?

I don't/can't cry at movies or in general but the painting moment was pretty fucking heavy

I dont think much needs to be said about this album.
It's just beautiful.

And one more time with feeling was an amazing film.

Just to clarify, Its Susie (his wife) singing on Distant Sky?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Else_Torp

k thx

Magneto song of the year?

The entire album is amazing, but the last three songs completely destroyed me.

blackstar is trash compared to skeleton tree

This is my first Nick cave album and im in fucking love with it, where do i go from here now?

his discography is all excellent
go to push the sky away next as it's the only remotely similar
jump to boatman's call if you want more barebones ballads but in a more traditional sound
from there on it's up to what else you like, if you have no similar interests just go chronologically to see all his styles

Depends on what you want. I think you should give Boatman's Call a spin if you like this record, but I also think you should listen to the Birthday Party, his first two records with the Bad Seeds, and then just pick and choose whatever you want.