What's the verdict?

What's the verdict?

It's excellent.

I think my favorite album of the year

I actually found it a bit dull.

I prefer his stuff like Red Right Hand, Loverman or Up Jumped the Devil

Fair enough, it's very different from TBS earlier work, it's a very somber work so perhaps you have to be in the right mood. I found completely captivating

Jesus Alone is probably my favorite from the album

Fucking amazing album, I need to listen to it again.

Think I might be with you on this, I need to give it a couple more listens, still an enjoyable listen though

aoty contender.... maybe aotd contender too

7/10
Lovely. A step up from his recent hokey Grinderman output. Held back by predictable tunings and obvious melodies and pedestrian chord changes. The occasional ambient noises also distract more than add. That said it's another gorgeous entry in this year's trifecta of death focused albums which began with Bowie's Blackstar and continued with the Lucinda Williams Ghosts album.

Its good and went even better with his film.

Although I understand why it might be melancholy, it feels like its meant to be building up to something, but doesn't really go anywhere. I was expecting some anthems like Higgs Boson Blues or Jubilee Street from his last album Push The Sky Away, maybe even some guitars. That being said it's still great, a comfy listen for a sombre and cold winters day

The last 3 songs are my favourites.

Doesn't match up to his previous achievements at all. It was alright, I'll give it a few more listens to see if it clicks.

I Need You was the best song on this.

People say it's cheesy, but they've never been a real songwriter. Nick is not just writing about genuine loss, but reaching out like a man drowning for some wreckage to cling to.

This is an emotion most people aren't capable of understanding, unless they've lost their own son and need their wife to be close to them.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood to hear something slower for 5 minutes, but I felt like that track was boring.

I sing a lot like a young Nick Cave but my lyrics are nowhere near as good. I just want to take his style and apply it to disco/funk music and lighten it up but keep the literary, poetics intact. Feels impossible.

unrateable/10

Dig Lazarus Dig!!! then?

Damn, I have Girl in Amber going round my head. It's a sombre kind of a feel.

>hokey Grinderman output

what the hell man

I'm not the biggest fan of Cave's recent work, I prefer his earlier stuff when he was still scary but I loved this, I keep listening to I Need You and having all sorts of feelings.

Magneto is winner.

This image is priceless.

I wonder how he would feel if someone took a picture like that with his son

ouch

8.5/10
Great record, very cohesive.

Smug Nick is excellent

I'm listening to it for the first time right now.

It's absolutely crushing to listen to.

Like, breathing feels like hard work. The atmosphere is overwhelming. Rather makes me wish the world would just fade to black and the credits would roll after the album ends.

>never been a real songwriter

Nailed it. Songwriting isn't about being literary, intricate, or technical ALL the time. A lot of the times it is just finding a way to let an expression be its most pure.

I'd argue that people that don't understand/like I Need You have never experienced true depression before.

I really loved seeing him interact with his family. Like the amount of love he has for Susie comes across so much even in something like him helping her adjust the picture on the wall. I hope I get to experience love like that someday :(

Yeah best on the album

Fucking devastating

Rowland is so adorable

Distant Sky made me weep like a fucking child.

9/10 album, very beautiful. Definitely in the top 10 of the year for me.