What's your favorite album by Paul Bley?

What's your favorite album by Paul Bley?

Other urls found in this thread:

tedpanken.wordpress.com/2013/04/01/an-uncut-blindfold-test-with-paul-bley-around-2002/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Free Fall with Jimmy Giuffre 3

holy shit, is this a bley thread. praise kek. Paul bley with gary peacock on ecm but mr joy is a close second. though footloose, and free fall are amazing.
listen to paul with gary
listen to emphasis and flight. same group.

Best of the 50s: Introducing Paul Bley with Mingus and Blakey
Best of the 60s: the first half of Paul Bley with Gary Peacock (also with Paul Motian)
Best of the 70s: Open to Love (solo)
Best of the 80s: Fragments with Bill Frisell, Paul Motian, and John Surman
Best of the 90s: Not One, Not Two with Gary Peacock and Paul Motian
Best of the 00s: Solo in Mondsee

>best of 50's isnt live at hillcrest
wew lad, fuck ornette i guess.

If only we could hear what Paul was playing at the Hillcrest I could rate it :^)

i wanna get into this guy, i really dig the ecm sound

He's like the oddball progenitor to the ECM sound, before the label existed. Start with the Jimmy Giuffre 3 with Paul and Steve Swallow to hear what inspired Manfred to develop that label sound

thanks man, glad to see some actual discussion on here

and if u werent autistic too, right?

>Best of the 50s: Live at the Hillcrest
>Best of the 60s: Mr. Joy
>Best of the 70s: Axis
>Best of the 80s: Fragments
>Best of the 90s: Annette
>Best of the 00s: Solo in Mondsee

if you just want to get in to bley then start with mr joy but yeah to what this other guy said if u wanna get in to ecm, or just jump right in with open, to love

Who are some other pianists like Bley?

keith jarrett with the american quartet, masabumi kikuchi was amazing and liked him, brad meldau and ethan iverson sort of but eh who cares, arron parks sort of, basically white guys in general.

If you like his 60's and 70's stuff best then check out Andrew Hill, Matthew Shipp, Keith Jarrett or Craig Taborn

If you like his 80's and later stuff best then check out Orrin Evans, George Colligan, Fred Hersch, or Ethan Iverson

Keith Jarrett is unabashedly a Bley knockoff, especially on his first few albums and the American Quartet.
Masabumi Kikuchi took Paul's general sound and broke it into an even more abstracted and Japanese sounding form. Listen to Tethered Moon, and Sunrise.
Steve Kuhn sort of rips him off on his Three Waves album.
Fred Hersch has a touch of Bley in his sound.
Marcin Wasilewski is a recent ECM pianist who even does some Paul-associated songs.
Lots of other guys claim influence but I'm not a fan of most of them.

Are you a pianist?

Of course

A/S/L?

lol you want my bank account number too?

Only if it's higher than your dick size ;)

>turns from bley thread into white college jazz bro thread

Bley taught at the NEC. He was basically a white college jazz bro

>praise kek

Don't do that cringy shit dude.

He got fired because his lessons were buying his students coffee, then being a dick to them for an hour

I would kill for a lesson like that though

Fuck off normalfag

I bet you'd suck his dick too if he asked you wouldn't you?

I'd take it like a champ too

is that a bley thread i see. oh boy =)

so what jazz schools do u crackers go to?

KEK is ultimate newfag shit. Its the Kamasi Washington of trolling, you should know better.

what's the best Carla Bley album? I'm usually turned off by the ecm sound but i really enjoyed this

this one

true, kek even wears magical black man clothes to make fedoras like him, just like the epic himself

Social Studies is pretty good. Also, it's not ECM at all, but Jazz Realities

who says I go to school just because I'm a pianist?

Anyway anybody ever read Bley's blindfold test?
It's bizarre.
tedpanken.wordpress.com/2013/04/01/an-uncut-blindfold-test-with-paul-bley-around-2002/

just assuming. paul motians blind fold test has some cool shit on it in this vain too if anyones looking for more shit to check out.

A classic