/prod/ music production general music via image edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
[YouTube] The Art Of Mixing (A Arte da Mixagem) - David Gibson (embed)

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
[YouTube] Intro to Synthesis Part 1 - The Building Blocks of Sound & Synthesis (embed)

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/fujg5wza
clyp.it/fmr0frhs
clyp.it/ddkz1xox
clyp.it/2isd3emy
clyp.it/q2nu3ggh
clyp.it/wubdzrgs
clyp.it/oo3fndwl
clyp.it/arp4hqbr
clyp.it/qtarjtyl?token=a34167f6a2c583698b6bf850aa0b4feb
youtube.com/watch?v=DBA5NHDoOh0
clyp.it/due5hcw4
clyp.it/tpaiclta
clyp.it/phhhyt1u
clyp.it/iniacwvz
youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

jesus christ i've had it with ableton. does anyone else have the issue of envelope breakpoints triggering slightly too late? when i try to make a midi cc envelope to go along with a midi clip, each cc step change triggers some milliseconds after each midi note triggers.

and on a side note, is it possible to soften the vertical jumps in an envelope? a change over the course of 0 milliseconds results in a clipping sound

It should be all the same tempo

Made this, any criticism would be nice.
clyp.it/fujg5wza

clyp.it/fmr0frhs

an update (IDK)

do i just suck with FL or do I really need protools to design sounds and master songs better?

U just suck

Madeon and Porter Robinson put out their first hits using FL. You just suck dicks.

Do you guys use to jam with your buddies? Here's the setup we used in the last 2 days

ok good

lofi attempt with a tempo automation
clyp.it/ddkz1xox
and the trap beat I posted earlier made more trappy
clyp.it/2isd3emy
maybe ill send it to lil b

have you tried turning it off then on again?

>buddies

what do you take me for? a normie??

clyp.it/q2nu3ggh
How bad is this?

Made it a few months ago and posted it on /adv/ and then got bullied

At the time I thought it was decent

I like the ending

Pretty sure I could make this in a timespan shorter than the actual song, while handcuffed, ballgaged, and near death. And yet I always keep telling myself that nothing I've made for years is worth sharing with anyone. No wonder I'm way more miserable than other people. Some times I wonder if other people must worship the shits they take and that validates them through this existence while I lose sleep and bring myself to malnourishment and adrenal fatigue putting in hundreds of hours of music production in the course of a week quite easily, yet I still don't even consider myself much of a musician.

What did he mean by this

>need protools
>protools
>better
>than FL

idk is this a joke

>hundreds of hours of music production in the course of a week
>hundreds

a week has only a hundred hours rtard

when i was in highschool i was in a really shitty metal band and im glad theres no recording that exist

Its probably latency, are you sending the CC out to hardware?

Also, no, you can't soften the vertical, just make tiny rises/falls instead.

yes. but the midi notes are also being sent to the same hardware, so should the latency of the cc and midi notes be equal?

and also something i've noticed -- if a have a breakpoint at the very beginning of the midi clip (time = 0) it won't process it.

What? No. How would expect to do that anyways?

Set your buffer size lower and lower until it reaches satisfactory latency. Also try playing with the External Instrument plugin's delay.

A breakpoint doesn't do anything but allow you to move the automation lane.

ok well then the automation lane isn't processed until the automation changes in value. so if i play an automation, and then stop it at say automation value 127, and then play the clip from the beginning when the automation value is say 0, it wont actually process the 0 until the automation changes again. so it just stays at 127.

why would cc values and midi notes have a different latency?
>Set your buffer size lower
you mean the input and output buffer sizes in preferences? changing them does nothing to the delay issue. neither does messing with the external instrument latency value.

is there any way to do this quickly? i dont want to have to zoom in a draw a fucking slope for every damn note change

What audio engine are you using? MME / DirectX?

I can't really imagine the automation before you said very well right now, I'm pretty high. Can you do a small screen recording or something?

>i dont want to have to zoom in a draw a fucking slope for every damn note change

Welcome to producing.

What should I do with this?

clyp.it/wubdzrgs

I can't beleive my url is perfect band name wubdzrgs

This seems like the best place to ask, so sorry if it isn't.

I'm looking around at digital pianos to replace my shitty $80 keyboard, but a lot of them list support for one single pedal for sustain without saying whether it's a binary on/off type sustain (like you'd find on a typical keyboard) or more like a proper pedal you'd have on an acoustic with variable sustain depending on pedal depression.

Do all digital pianos use the variable sustain (provided the pedal is capable of it) or is it a minefield where I have dig through reviews for each model to find out which it supports?

Can some sound designer here add sound effects to this .gif?

someone post the discord pls

no, you do it

assblasted clinton cuck detected

yes ive had this problem. envelopes are done real time which results in this shit, cpu load changing (ie you add another plugin) will result in the latency changing too

what you're doing in that pic is dumb as fuck though, you literally reinvented velocity senpai

Fuck, this makes me want to puke

>do I need protools
No. Never.

So this is my most recent song:
clyp.it/oo3fndwl

And this is one of my earlier ones:
clyp.it/arp4hqbr

I think there's an improvement, but I'm biased because I made this shit. Does anyone else notice an improvement in my mixing and junk?

Yes, I do rap about Magic: The Gathering and yes, my flow is horrible. But I'm practicing every day and trying to come up with something every day. I listen to a lot of different artists and Aesop Rock has my favorite flows of any of them.

I think you need a harder voice. Maybe pitch it down? Add a bit of rasp?

Don't rap about magic, dude.

Anyone know where to find any good drums to sample for breakcore?
I feel like I'm looking in the wrong places, can't find anything usable

You use uh, breaks? lol. Hence the name. Get Amen and go nuts. If you don't know other breaks, then you should just fuck with amen

Hmm, yeah, I've heard the break. What are some good break bands? Or which genres use breaks?

clyp.it/qtarjtyl?token=a34167f6a2c583698b6bf850aa0b4feb

Disco, tech-house kind of track I'm working on. Started yesterday.

Still feel somethings missing and wondering if I'm going in the right direction since I'm new to production.

Hope to have some cc on it!

Kek'd loud. But yeah, why the fuck would you rap about Magic, hahahahah

Not that user, but maybe they like goofy nerdcore shit? It isn't for me, but he might like it.

Are you gonna get it?

In my case i think it will upgrade my productivity a lot. I really dig early 90's sound so it's just perfect. Right now i jump between vst and samples for my drums, it's not too smooth...

There are tons of break sample packs, but like if u want to be authentic go for the breakbeat sample packs sampled from actual funk, soul and rnb records. Theres one i use for like Hip-Hop shit thats called TS Classic Breaks that I found whilst digging on the Internet and it has every classic break ever recorded over a couple of packs. Was a rare find, and I'm unsure if its still available but if u find it its a free download

why couldnt they have just made it analog jeez

Cool, thanks. I'll see if I can track it down. That sounds like pure gold.

Japan doesn't understand the analog craze

If you're keen on classic drum tones go for it, I'm sure you'll probably get a better sound than anything u could get with 909 samples, but be absolutely sure you want it before you purchase it. Drum machines won't necessarily increase your productivity unless you're doing live analog jams (which are fun and cool,) as you'll have to sample your drums into your DAW of choice regardless which is a time consuming process.

Hey /prod/ I've just purchased my first analog synth and I'm having trouble recording into an ableton arrangement as I'm getting latency through my 2i2. Any tips on reducing latency?

but korg went out on a limb with the ms-20 mini and shiet

i dont get why roland hasn't followed suit i thought korg made a mint off that strategy

Yeah that's true.

Maybe it's just Roland then..

youtube.com/watch?v=DBA5NHDoOh0

best synthesizer of all time

I had trouble with it too. As far as I can tell you need to go into the preferences, turn on the test tone, and adjust the latency to as low as you can with the test tone clipping/fuzzing.

My travelling set up for past few months.

No I already have a drum machine

are you delaying compensation? or have checked that's unchecked in your settings?

Why are you travelling?

r8 plz, it's a rap/trap instrumental

Because I am touring.

i made beepmap play an image of beepmap and it sounded good

WOW AUTISM I FORGOT THE LINK GG
clyp.it/due5hcw4

a little quite imo

I don't know if this should go in /prod/ or /classical/ but I'm still going to post it here.

Which symphonic library would you recommend for classical music?
I've been looking at Vienna Symphonic; they're really expensive but I might be able to afford a Special Edition (either Vol. 1 or Vol. 2).
I've also been looking at EastWest stuff, but they seem to be aimed more at film scores and less at classical (in the broader sense of the word) compositions.

So which one would you recommend? Is there some sort of alternative to these two that I've overlooked?

I am feeling like an idiot ever since I've started to learn music production. I seriously feel like I'm never going to put together a basic song. Should I just give up already?

>Should I just give up already?
Yeah

Learn the tools and make something you would want to hear without thinking about critics

No, don't give up. I started making music from a cereal box cd that was the shittiest DAW, but it was basic. You need to start basic to advance. What DAW do you use? Ableton I think is great because you can start small and then get bigger. I'm happy to give you heaps of help, if you'd like. Not everything is going to happen quickly. And you have to take it bit by bit. I do drums first then layer in synths and bass. Then the vocals. I distort everything I find needs it, or add effects last in my editing. Baby steps young grasshopper.

>rap about Magic: The Gathering
dude.

use negative track delay

>buy most of my plugins
>download two bundles off dedicated torrent site
>computer starts acting like it has a virus

i would use a smaller screen and bigger speakers for travelling

whats wrong with her mouth

As I posted above, the easiest way to fix Ableton latency issue is to turn off delay compensation. Ableton automatically will adjust it.

Do you really have that? Is it as shitty as people say it is?

fixed it
I also side chained the kick to the synths
clyp.it/tpaiclta

Do you know any instruments? How long have you been trying to learn it?

I am using a new set up in my shows, and now use a bigger screen live. So, while I will agree with you - I am doing it for practice to make sure everything running smoothly. Takes a fair bit to get used to.

>turn off delay compensation. Ableton automatically will adjust it.
you mean turn on and no, it does not work properly with hardware, how could it. Midi introduces latency too and the interface does, how could ableton know that. Track delay is the most simple way.

clyp.it/phhhyt1u

what am i missing lads?

drums

M8, read what it says when you toggle over "delay compensation", and yes sorry I meant on. (I've actually had to turn it off for latency issues before as well...sooooo....). Toggle over the button and it reads very clearly: "Live automatically compensates for delays caused by Live and PLUG-IN INSTRUMENTS, and effects, keeping all of the tracks in sync". Isn't that just the easiest option, if it works ? Then yeah, if you have to fuck around with track delay - go for it (which I've had to do too, was just thinking of the easiest thing). But just my opinion...

hillary clinton just died lads

Thank you for actually taking time to help out. I'm currently using Ableton, and not trying to write a smash hit or anything. I have watched hours of youtube tutorials but even the basic ones seem not very beginner friendly. I'm actually trying to put together some ambient soundscapes with pads and a basic washed-out drum loops. I find it pretty hard to design suitable pads because I can't seem to grasp how LFOs, waves and everything works.

>Isn't that just the easiest option, if it works
sure, but it doesn't, at least for me

it's nice

drums, it actually sounds pretty cool, just add a kickdrum and it's future bass
clyp.it/tpaiclta

Okay well for starters: do you have Max4Live? It has a pretty easy to use LFO for modulating parameters. But then again, what do you know about parameters? Because before you even attempt to stuff around with LFO's and modulation/effects. Happy to explain all day if need be, just need to know where you're fully at. Cheers

clyp.it/iniacwvz

blackgaze or shit made in FL

>clyp.it/iniacwvz
I like the bit in the middle, where it goes quiet

So I have a pair of hs5 monitors. My room is tiny, roughly 10x10 feet. I would like to add a subwoofer to really improve the low end because I'm into hip hop production. What's a good sub I can get to add to my monitors? I have heard the hs8 is great. My budget is about $450. Thanks.

hs8 studio by far is the best

Yeah I love my monitors so I'd have no problem sticking with Yamaha. It is at my budget max however.

Needs more sound effects! Random beeps, boops, and bird sounds would do

take notes

youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE

>you'll love it yeah, yeah, yeah
lol come on korg